2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad E531 (GT740M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad E531 (GT740M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [inxftw]  

of  4
  RSS

inxftw
(@inxftw)
Eminent Member

Theck out mydigitallife or bios-mods forums. They have threads for bios requests.
Good luck with the thing. Don't forge that if you want to cold boot you have to have dGPU enabled in the bios.

Cheers.

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad E531 (GT740M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
skynoname
(@theodelez)

I wonder will it work with this version or with just the mini end cable, because there are lots of usb 3.0 male to male sold in my country than the mini end to male usb 3.0 cable.

Dell Vostro 1450 i3-2330M WIN 10 HD 5570 PE164C-NO3

ReplyQuote
inxftw
(@inxftw)
Eminent Member

I think that it doesn't matter as long as it fits port on your laptop. This is regular x1, right? For laptops you need mini-pci to mini usb.
I'm pretty sure it's just an adapter in the end. Unlike thunderbolt docks which are actually separate devices not just a passthrough.
tl;dr get a mini version like the one linked up in the OP.

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad E531 (GT740M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: inxftw

Still wondering why x1 gen 2/usb 3.0 combo isn't 500MB/s but only peaks at 402MB/s during gpgpu/cuda-z benchmarks. But hwinfo monitoring overlay reports 5.0GT/s during gameplay, so I would assume that it actually does use full potential of bus.

500 MB/s is the theoretical maximum which does not include:

• Transaction Layer Packet Overhead
  • Traffic Overhead
  • Link Protocol Overhead
  • Flow Control Protocol Overhead

The overhead varies depending on system parameters:

• Maximum Payload Size
  • Maximum Read Request Size
  • Read Completion Boundary
  • Posted and Non-Posted Transactions

Reference:  https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp350.pdf

There is also the efficiency of the gpgpu/cuda-z benchmarks to consider. How fast does it repeat each read/write? The benchmarks don't show any PCIe errors that might occur which would require a retransmission of a packet. Is the error rate using a USB cable higher than normal?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
inxftw
(@inxftw)
Eminent Member

That was very informative, thanks!
I have no idea about error rate.

ReplyQuote
mrmugy
(@mrmugy)

I have a late 2014 MBP and I was wondering how I can get around the mPCIe to USB that you have set up in the back of your laptop. I have Thunderbolt 2 ports, is there a way to use this with a workaround? If not what can I do, I purchased the $7 extender and I have a PSU/GTX 1060 but I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
eanteple
(@eanteple)

is it working on internal screen ? I mean , does it work on laptop LCD ?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: mrmugy

I have a late 2014 MBP and I was wondering how I can get around the mPCIe to USB that you have set up in the back of your laptop. I have Thunderbolt 2 ports, is there a way to use this with a workaround? If not what can I do, I purchased the $7 extender and I have a PSU/GTX 1060 but I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks!

You want to use mPCIe with a MBP? Why not use the Thunderbolt 2 ports which can transmit data faster?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mrmugy
(@mrmugy)

This is basically what I want to know. What can make my GPU work via TB2? I purchased this, although I'm not sure what else I need besides this to connect to TB2.

ReplyQuote
Shahryar Ghayour
(@shahryar_ghayour)

@inxftw

Thank you so much for your consistency.
I wonder which GPU would be wasting if we use with this bandwidth as you said the bandwidth is limited in mPcie.
gtx 1070 will have the same performance with 1060 because of mPcie potential?!

the second question is the internal lcd.
can I use my laptop’s LCD or should I connect my laptop to an external motitor?!( if so, should I connect hdmi cable directly to egpu or my laptop’s output?!)

I will appreciate of you answer me.

Thinkpad E531
core i7 3632qm
8 GB Ram
Hd 4000
GT 740M

ReplyQuote
 of  4