2013 15" Lenovo Y510p GT755M-SLI + [email protected] (Lenovo Ultrabay Adapter) + Win10 1803 [intruder]  

RSS

intruder
(@intruder)
October 4, 2018 7:27 am  

Topic is mostly copied from @rusTORK's build here since the laptop & the egpu connector/adapter is almost same with a couple of changes. 

System Info :

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p SLI
Display: 15.6" Internal Display
CPU: Intel i7-4700MQ 
RAM: 2x 4096 MB (DDR3L-1600)
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
dGPU1: 2048 MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M (on Motherboard)
dGPU2: 2048 MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M (via Ultrabay slot)
SSD: 256 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO Sata
HDD: 1 TB Seagate (5400 RPM)
Windows: 10 Pro, v1803, build 17134.286

eGPU Setup :

No enclosure (open stand);
eGPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC (Undervolted)
PSU: Corsair VS450
Ultrabay-to-PCI-E adapter (custom made by user gerald at Techinferno forum)

Hardware Pictures (Spoiler: a lot of pictures)

Ultrabay-to-PCI-E adapter :

This is the adapter that made eGPU possible. Thanks a lot to gerald from TI Forums.

This is the port in laptop where the ultrabay adapter connects. You'll also notice a Slimsata port on the left side for CD/DVD optical drives. I've utilized that port as well using a Slimsata extension cable.

After inserting the adapter:

Now you'll get the idea. It is just like the original implementation of ultrabay gpu from lenovo. Plug in the ultrabay adapter and you're ready to game.

Adapter modified

I've modified the adapter by creating an aluminium enclosure around it (which should provide some EM shielding as well) and including the Slimsata extension cable. It is still a work in progress. Now the adapter on connecting side looks like this:

Adapter and PSU installed

The sata cable coming out from the back is connected to slimline sata extension cable i mentioned earlier.

GTX 1070 installed

Also created a backplate for the GPU in the process.

REQUIRED MODIFICATIONS

BIOS
Experimental BIOS (yeah, things go wild right from start point) from user High_Voltage at Techinferno forum. At the start we were only able to use AMD graphic cards. It's sound like a joke, since original ultrabay card was NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M, but it's Device ID was hardly added in BIOS. With Nvidia gfx card the laptop didn't boot. Now the modded BIOS unlocks using NVIDIA cards in additon to AMD ones. 

It is possible to skip flashing the experimental BIOS by soldering Arduino on adapter. 

SOFTWARE\HARDWARE DATA

Compal Motherboard Diagram

You may see on diagram that both VGAs (N14P-GT1) are connected directly to CPU.

HWiNFO64

GPU-Z

Benchmarks ( a lot of them 😀 )

Apart from AIDA64 (test on internal screen), all the testing has been done with Nvidia drivers version 411.63.

AIDA64 (Both laptop & desktop for comparison)

CUDA-Z

Heaven Benchmark  (Internal & External screen)
Settings: 1920x1080 Ultra Quality

Valley Benchmark
(Internal & External screen)
Settings: Extreme HD, Resolution (1920x1080)

Superposition Benchmark
 (Internal & External screen)
Settings: Performance, 1080p Extreme, DirectX

3D Mark FireStrike Basic Edition

Internal Display:

External Display:

3D Mark TimeSpy Basic Edition

Internal Display:

External Display:

Comments

I will talk about the performance difference between internal and external displays. I've done 3 runs of all the benchmarks shown above, calculated & compared average fps. The maximum performance reduction in internal screen is shown below:

Heaven             : 3.10%
Valley                : 6.59%
Superposition  : 2.50%
TimeSpy           : 1.17% 
FireStrike         : 0.47% (in graphics test 2, internal display performed better by 1.55% average).

If the fps goes beyond 100 then there must be a higher performance reduction. I'll try to run some tests as soon as i get my hands on an external display.

This is a very old laptop (more than 5 year old) but with the ultrabay adapter it can hold its own with the current gen laptops. I'm very impressed with the performance. The fps i'm getting is the same as a desktop counterpart. I'll be getting a 120 Hz monitor soon. If anyone has any suggestions on the monitor it'll be greatly appreciated.

So there's my conclusion.

Lastly, i'll be getting a PCIe riser/extender to keep the GPU away from my face in an enclosure 😀  

Suggestions/feedbacks are always welcomed!

Laptop: Lenovo Y510P
eGPU: Gigabyte 1070 Mini OC
Current Build Link

IronWolf0117, blackranger, nando4 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
rusTORK
(@rustork)
October 4, 2018 5:41 pm  

Very nice and detailed post!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

intruder liked
ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)
October 11, 2018 5:10 pm  
Posted by: rusTORK

Very nice and detailed post!

Thanks!

Current Build Link

ReplyQuote
blackranger
(@blackranger)
November 30, 2018 9:47 pm  

Hi 
I have a question? maybe a silly or dumb one 
The CPU you have mentioned can handle only 5 GT/s 
GPU connected transfer at 8 GT/s thorough LUA PCI 3.0 x 8 

it bottlenecks with CPU doesn't?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rusTORK
(@rustork)
November 30, 2018 10:44 pm  
Posted by: blackranger
The CPU you have mentioned can handle only 5 GT/s

Incorrect.  5 GT/s you are mentioned is Bus Speed, here is quote from Intel ARK site:

A bus is a subsystem that transfers data between computer components or between computers. Types include:
front-side bus (FSB), which carries data between the CPU and memory controller hub;
direct media interface (DMI), which is a point-to-point interconnection between an Intel integrated memory controller and an Intel I/O controller hub on the computer’s motherboard; and Quick Path Interconnect (QPI), which is a point-to-point interconnect between the CPU and the integrated memory controller.

5 GT/s it is DMI v2 speed.

VGA not transfering data via DMI and later DMI to CPU. VGA connected directly to CPU via PCI-E interface (separate lanes). That's why it's have higher speed - 8 GT\s.

But still... mobile CPU is bottleneck in this system anyway. Due to it's overall performance and design.

ReplyQuote
blackranger
(@blackranger)
December 1, 2018 6:13 am  

Thank you for your reply.

I own i5-4200m, Y510p, since external LUA adapter is not available now, i have planned to go for GDC V8.0 mPCI-e  .

since mpcie port cant give more than 4gbps transfer speed.

What difference it makes in gaming 4gbps vs 64gbps?

ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)
December 1, 2018 6:39 am  

There will be a lot of difference. Check out the Build Guides section. You can filter it by mPCI-e. Afterwards compare the results.

Current Build Link

ReplyQuote
blackranger
(@blackranger)
December 1, 2018 7:23 am  

I compared the Firestrike score with the below build and the difference is 13365 vs 11162
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-15-clevo-wa50srq-gtx106010705gbps-mpcie2-exp-gdc-8-4d-win7-upes/

and these other builds doesn't have much benchmarks but handles games OK.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2011-14-acer-aspire-4752g-gt610m-gtx10704gbps-mpcie2-exp-gdc-8-x-win7-jkeychen-liew/
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2011-17-asus-n73sv-gtx10704gbps-mpcie2-exp-gdc-8-4-win10-gagliano20/

ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)
December 1, 2018 12:03 pm  

Yeah. If i have to guess, with mPCI-e you should be able to play games fine but you'll have to tone down some settings if you're aiming for 60 fps.

I recently ran benchmark on SOTR at the highest preset (internal screen) and this is what i got:

If you want me run any game benchmarks let me know.

Current Build Link

ReplyQuote
blackranger
(@blackranger)
December 1, 2018 12:43 pm  

Thank you for your reply and benchmark.

I want to use mpcie till we get the next batch of adapter, so thank you for clarifying.

for the time till we get new LUA i can lower my settings & play.

ReplyQuote
(@ironwolf0117)
December 5, 2018 4:18 pm  

Do you know if Gerald is still selling these adapters? I'm trying to freshen up my old y510p (got me through college like a champ) to give to a buddy as a budget gaming rig after he gets through basic. Already have it running lively with an SSD boot drive replacing the original cache drive and a Firecuda replacing the original hdd, but the 755m's are seriously holding this back.

Also, props on getting a 1070 to work with it! Those are some damn impressive benchmarks - I guess the 4700MQ holds up pretty dang well.

Y510P - 4700MQ, 2x GT 755m, 32GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, 2TB 2.5" SSHD

ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)
December 6, 2018 6:58 am  
Posted by: IronWolf0117

Do you know if Gerald is still selling these adapters? I'm trying to freshen up my old y510p (got me through college like a champ) to give to a buddy as a budget gaming rig after he gets through basic. Already have it running lively with an SSD boot drive replacing the original cache drive and a Firecuda replacing the original hdd, but the 755m's are seriously holding this back.

Also, props on getting a 1070 to work with it! Those are some damn impressive benchmarks - I guess the 4700MQ holds up pretty dang well.

I don't think so. The ultrabay connectors are hard to find now. Many others are trying to build their own. You can check out the details at TI forums.
Thanks. Yeah, I think 4700MQ can work well with games till 2020. After that I'm not sure if the laptop survives my experiments lol

Current Build Link

ReplyQuote