2013 15" Lenovo Ideapad Y510P (GT755M-SLI) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 64Gbps-LUA (L...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (GT755M-SLI) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 64Gbps-LUA (Lenovo Ultrabay Adapter) + Win10 [intruder]  

of  2
  RSS

Evan Wolfert
(@ironwolf0117)

Do you know if Gerald is still selling these adapters? I'm trying to freshen up my old y510p (got me through college like a champ) to give to a buddy as a budget gaming rig after he gets through basic. Already have it running lively with an SSD boot drive replacing the original cache drive and a Firecuda replacing the original hdd, but the 755m's are seriously holding this back.

Also, props on getting a 1070 to work with it! Those are some damn impressive benchmarks - I guess the 4700MQ holds up pretty dang well.

Y510P - 4700MQ, 2x GT 755m, 32GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, 2TB 2.5" SSHD

ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)

Posted by: IronWolf0117

Do you know if Gerald is still selling these adapters? I'm trying to freshen up my old y510p (got me through college like a champ) to give to a buddy as a budget gaming rig after he gets through basic. Already have it running lively with an SSD boot drive replacing the original cache drive and a Firecuda replacing the original hdd, but the 755m's are seriously holding this back.

Also, props on getting a 1070 to work with it! Those are some damn impressive benchmarks - I guess the 4700MQ holds up pretty dang well.

I don't think so. The ultrabay connectors are hard to find now. Many others are trying to build their own. You can check out the details at TI forums.
Thanks. Yeah, I think 4700MQ can work well with games till 2020. After that I'm not sure if the laptop survives my experiments lol

Laptop: Lenovo Y510P
eGPU: Gigabyte 1070 Mini OC
Current Build Link

2013 15" Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (GT755M-SLI) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 64Gbps-LUA (Lenovo Ultrabay Adapter) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Vova585
(@vova585)

Good day. Tell me where I can buy this adapter.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)

Posted by: Vova585

Good day. Tell me where I can buy this adapter.

Right now the adapter is out of stock. You can keep an eye on this thread as more and more people are trying to create custom adapters and they might sell out.

Current Build Link

2013 15" Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (GT755M-SLI) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 64Gbps-LUA (Lenovo Ultrabay Adapter) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Vova585
(@vova585)

Thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Diodanny Peña
(@diodanny_pena)

i need one adapter where can i buy one cantact me please  diodannyxd@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Stumbled across the Taobao CYID PCIE store selling a x8 Ultrabay eGPU adapter for 299 CNY (~USD$43)

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=590092671431

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

intruder liked
ReplyQuote
StBalthazar
(@stbalthazar)

@intruder Man, it's so nice to see a working build for the y510p. I've been toying with the idea of an eGPU for over 3 years now and have finally decided to give it a shot. My PC specs:
- Boot Drive: 256GB Samsung EVO SSD
- Optical Drive: 1TB Seagate HDD (moved the original boot drive to my optical drive while upgrading to an SSD. My laptop did not have the Ultrabay/Dual graphics)
- Processor, RAM & dGPU(1): Exactly the same as your PC
Since the external adapter is no longer an option to buy and I've got my Ultrabay running an additional 1TB HDD, I only want to use the other options available to me - the free m2 (ngff)/mPCIe slot. 

Hey @blackranger, did you ultimately give it a shot? If so, can you share some more details wrt your choice of connector and GPU and the ultimate results? 

For both of you, this is where I have a few questions, sorry if I sound like I'm just getting into all this, because I am and the various conflicting information is really throwing me off: 
- Can you point me towards where I can find out for sure whether the free port in my laptop is an m.2 (ngff) slot or an mPCIe slot? I've seen different places on Lenovo forums and other official documentation used either. While some people on forums also use/quote either. Based on this I can start with all of this!
- How does one go about choosing which connector to use - EXP GDC vs PCE164p vs ADT?
- How did you narrow on which GPU to use? Is there an upper limit to the type of cards that would work with my(our) laptops? What is the safest bet, while getting the best possible results? 

ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)

Posted by: @stbalthazar

@intruder Man, it's so nice to see a working build for the y510p. I've been toying with the idea of an eGPU for over 3 years now and have finally decided to give it a shot. My PC specs:
- Boot Drive: 256GB Samsung EVO SSD
- Optical Drive: 1TB Seagate HDD (moved the original boot drive to my optical drive while upgrading to an SSD. My laptop did not have the Ultrabay/Dual graphics)
- Processor, RAM & dGPU(1): Exactly the same as your PC
Since the external adapter is no longer an option to buy and I've got my Ultrabay running an additional 1TB HDD, I only want to use the other options available to me - the free m2 (ngff)/mPCIe slot. 

Hey @blackranger, did you ultimately give it a shot? If so, can you share some more details wrt your choice of connector and GPU and the ultimate results? 

For both of you, this is where I have a few questions, sorry if I sound like I'm just getting into all this, because I am and the various conflicting information is really throwing me off: 
- Can you point me towards where I can find out for sure whether the free port in my laptop is an m.2 (ngff) slot or an mPCIe slot? I've seen different places on Lenovo forums and other official documentation used either. While some people on forums also use/quote either. Based on this I can start with all of this!
- How does one go about choosing which connector to use - EXP GDC vs PCE164p vs ADT?
- How did you narrow on which GPU to use? Is there an upper limit to the type of cards that would work with my(our) laptops? What is the safest bet, while getting the best possible results? 

Hello. I see that you have posted in the other thread and got some solutions, I will still try to reply here as well.

...Can you point me towards where I can find out for sure whether the free port in my laptop is an m.2 (ngff) slot or an mPCIe slot? I've seen different places on Lenovo forums and other official documentation used either. While some people on forums also use/quote either. Based on this I can start with all of this!...

You can take a photo of the port and share it so that I can check and make sure. If you're trying to use that port for eGPU, it's not going to work. The only other option apart from ultrabay is to use wifi slot for eGPU.

...How does one go about choosing which connector to use - EXP GDC vs PCE164p vs ADT?... 

I have never used this so can't answer but you can refer to the build guides by a lot of people in this forum where people have used different solutions and built a guide.

...How did you narrow on which GPU to use? Is there an upper limit to the type of cards that would work with my(our) laptops? What is the safest bet, while getting the best possible results? 

It all depends on your use case. If you're going to use anything (or any game) which is very CPU intensive then you are going to get CPU bottlenecks easily. I play Apex Legends, Valorant, Rocket League, GTA V regularly with 1070 mini and I have never seen GPU utilization at 100% which hints at CPU bottleneck. You'll have to do your research accordingly.

Lastly, if you have any doubts feel free to hit me up. I'll try to answer as much as I can.

Current Build Link

ReplyQuote
 of  2