2013 15" Lenovo Ideapad Y510P (GT755M-SLI) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 64Gbps-LUA (L...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (GT755M-SLI) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 64Gbps-LUA (Lenovo Ultrabay Adapter) + Win10 [intruder]  

of  3
  RSS

intruder
(@intruder)

Posted by: @jeff_2

Hello everyone,

I'm among one of the lucky few who was able to purchase the original line of adapters when they dropped. I was interested in making a casing for mine very much like the creator of this thread did. The adapter works just fine after all of this time, and I'd like to protect my investment! Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Take care!

Hey,

If you want something that just works and is easy to create, use a HDD Caddy enclosure and fit the ultrabay pcb on it. The advantage is it can easily slide in and out in the laptop since the dimensions are standard and you don't have to worry about clearances. To understand how it is going to work, put the ultrabay adapter on top of HDD caddy (aligning the proprietary ports) and try to slide it in. There might be some resistance as the caddy is now thicker due to additional pcb on top. In that case, you'll have to create grooves on top of the HDD caddy to fit the ultrabay adapter. The empty space inside the caddy you can fill with filler material or foam. I do not have my adapter with me else I'd have shown images to explain better as I've done this before.

Other way is to use acrylic or MDF sheet (like I did) and carefully measure the dimensions and clearances. It'll take some hit and trial to create this. I had the dimensions written down somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. I chose MDF as it is very easy to work with.

The reason I created (a kind of) case around the adapter is because of the ease of putting it in and out just like the original ultrabay module.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510P
eGPU: Gigabyte 1070 Mini OC
Current Build Link

2013 15" Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (GT755M-SLI) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 64Gbps-LUA (Lenovo Ultrabay Adapter) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff_2)

Thanks so much for the quick reply after all this time! I'll definitely give the HDD caddy a shot, though I'd definitely be interested in a custom job with those dimensions of you can find them. Take care!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  3