2013 15" Dell Precision M3800 + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win10 [huehuehue]^  

RSS

huehuehue
(@huehuehue)
March 15, 2017 11:37 am  

Dell Precision M3800 [Without Thunderbolt] + GTX 970 + Win 10

Setup:

Exp GDC Beast 8.4d via NGFF (Only the NGFF port on the laptop is PCIE, the m.2 slot is just sata based) Link here to buy. 

Dell Precision M3800 @ 1920x1080

Dell Ultrasharp QHD U2715H @ 2560x1440 [External Monitor]

BIOS A10 (latest), 16GB Ram

Intel HD4600 & Nvdia Quadro K1100M

Windows 10 Pro

750W Seasonic Modular Power Supply (Too OverKill)

Asus GTX 970 Strix (eGPU)

Step I do during the eGPU installation:

1. Very important step before installing, disable the dGPU (Nvdia Quadro K1100M). Don't worry about the intel HD4600.

- Device Manager > Display adapters > Nvdia Quadro K1100M (right click) > Disable

2. Shut down the computer and install the eGPU.
  3. Boot into the computer, download and install the necessary Nvdia drivers.
  4. The computer will sometimes switch to PCIE gen2.0 and for now the Exp GDC Beast v8.4 is unstable with cards running PCIE Gen2.0. (It will just crash the GPU, it happened to me)
  5. Make the PCIE Gen1.1 instead of Gen2.0.
  6. To do the step 5, follow step 6-16. Go to this link here. Download and extract the file into a thumbdrive.
  7. Shut down the computer. Insert the thumbdrive and turn it back on.
  8. When the Dell logo is showing, press ESC(press multiple times) till the blue bar on the bottom of the logo is shown. 
  9. Press F2 when the blue bar appears (before finishing loading).
  10. Boot > File Browser Add Boot Option > USB : USB FLASH DRIVE > BOOTX64.efi > Type “bootx64” > ENTER > ESC
  11. Shut down the computer again. Insert the thumbdrive and turn it back on.
  12. When the Dell logo is showing, press ESC(press multiple times) till the blue bar on the bottom of the logo is shown. 
  13. Press F12 when the blue bar appears (before finishing loading).
  14. Select the bootx64.
  15. Type “setup_var 0x169 0x1” ****(THIS IS ONLY FOR M3800, BIOS A10)****

For other Dell laptops, please visit this link here. For more info click on this link here. [For different Dell Laptop, open the BIOS txt file and Ctrl+F “PCIe speed”, the will show around 8 of them. The first one is Port 1 and so on and so forth. To check which port your eGPU is using, use HWiNFO. Click here to go to the download page.] Below is an example of the string of line you would encounter.

E.g. (Dell Latitude E6230, BIOS A14, Port 1)

To change this to make it run on pcie Gen1.1, type “setup_var 0xB2 0x1” {THIS IS JUST AN EXMPLE}

16. After typing the code, press the power button.
  17. Turn on your computer and you are done.

Additional Information:

Using HWinFO (Click here to go to the download page) to check which port is the eGPU. eGPU is already inserted.

1. Open the Application.
  2. Uncheck “Sensors-Only”
  3. Run
  4. Bus > PCI Bus #0 > Check all PCI Express Root Port 1/2/3/4 

From the picture above, PCI Express Root Port 3 is used for the dGPU.

Benchmarks (2560 x 1440) 60Hz:

Dota 2: average - 100fps (Ultra)

Heaven Benchmark 4.0: average – 37.7fps (High, with x2 MSAA) Link here

3DMark Firestrike: Click this link here (before and after). [Don’t worry about the GPU names].

Hopefully, this will encourage you to do the eGPU setup.

Special Thanks to Nando4 for helping me so hard yesterday.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

passitheape and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
passitheape
(@passitheape)
April 10, 2017 3:20 pm  

Awesome, I have the same laptop. I´m currently thinking about setting up a 1060 eGPU.

Would you mind sharing a couple of more pictures of how the eGPU connection replaces the FMC-SSD through the PCIe? Did you cut a hole into the chassis on the side?

I don´t have any experience with customizing my laptop, I merely replaced several internal componentes by myself...so I´d appreciate some visualisation 🙂 

Could it be connected to the Wifi card slot instead of the SSD slot?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
huehuehue
(@huehuehue)
October 22, 2017 4:37 am  

It can only be connected to the wifi slot. The wifi is a pcie while the ssd slot is just an sata. I did not mod the case of my laptop. What i did was just the leave it exposed (i know this not the best way to keep the longevity of the laptop, but so far no problems). 

Dont be afraid to open up your laptop. Follow my instructions and you would be fine. Good luck 🙂

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
numiri
(@numiri)
December 17, 2017 10:14 pm  

Hi, I'm trying to set up the m3800 with exp sdc v8.4 & geforce gtx titan.  

1. I followed steps 1-16 w/o problems.  

2. I cabled up the beast, m3800, and gpu.  booted up the laptop ok.

3. I turned on the power for the gpu, and the gpu fan ran super fast and really loud.  Then the keyboard became unresponsive 🙁

4.  I powered off the laptop & gpu, rebooted the laptop and kept the gpu powered off, but still kept the cables connected.  I powered on the laptop and nothing would appear on the screen, not even the bios prompt to go to bios Setup.  Disconnecting the gpu (remember, I never powered it on) got the laptop to boot, but took 1-2 minutes to power on.

5.  now that the laptop is powered on, I connected the gpu (gpu is still powered off) and the keyboard stopped responding.

Can you offer some suggestions as to what might be going on and how to fix it?

Thanks so much.

ReplyQuote
huehuehue
(@huehuehue)
June 21, 2018 2:42 pm  

I think u have to reset the bios first and try again. You probably did step 5-16 wrongly and messed up the bios. Do download the software first and check. While doing step 5-16, you have to plug in your eGPU and connect it to the laptop. The eGPU will only crash while the eGPU is under heavy usage, e.g. playing game.

ReplyQuote