2013 15" Dell Precision M3800 (Q K1100M) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [huehuehue] // portable VR machine
Dell Precision M3800 [Without Thunderbolt] + GTX 970 + Win 10
Dell Precision M3800 @ 1920x1080
Dell Ultrasharp QHD U2715H @ 2560x1440 [External Monitor]
BIOS A10 (latest), 16GB Ram
Intel HD4600 & Nvdia Quadro K1100M
Windows 10 Pro
750W Seasonic Modular Power Supply (Too OverKill)
Asus GTX 970 Strix (eGPU)
Step I do during the eGPU installation:
Using HWinFO (Click here to go to the download page) to check which port is the eGPU. eGPU is already inserted.
From the picture above, PCI Express Root Port 3 is used for the dGPU.
Benchmarks (2560 x 1440) 60Hz:
Dota 2: average - 100fps (Ultra)
Heaven Benchmark 4.0: average – 37.7fps (High, with x2 MSAA) Link here
3DMark Firestrike: Click this link here (before and after). [Don’t worry about the GPU names].
Hopefully, this will encourage you to do the eGPU setup.
Special Thanks to Nando4 for helping me so hard yesterday.
Awesome, I have the same laptop. I´m currently thinking about setting up a 1060 eGPU.
Would you mind sharing a couple of more pictures of how the eGPU connection replaces the FMC-SSD through the PCIe? Did you cut a hole into the chassis on the side?
I don´t have any experience with customizing my laptop, I merely replaced several internal componentes by myself...so I´d appreciate some visualisation 🙂
Could it be connected to the Wifi card slot instead of the SSD slot?
It can only be connected to the wifi slot. The wifi is a pcie while the ssd slot is just an sata. I did not mod the case of my laptop. What i did was just the leave it exposed (i know this not the best way to keep the longevity of the laptop, but so far no problems).
Dont be afraid to open up your laptop. Follow my instructions and you would be fine. Good luck 🙂
Hi, I'm trying to set up the m3800 with exp sdc v8.4 & geforce gtx titan.
1. I followed steps 1-16 w/o problems.
2. I cabled up the beast, m3800, and gpu. booted up the laptop ok.
3. I turned on the power for the gpu, and the gpu fan ran super fast and really loud. Then the keyboard became unresponsive 🙁
4. I powered off the laptop & gpu, rebooted the laptop and kept the gpu powered off, but still kept the cables connected. I powered on the laptop and nothing would appear on the screen, not even the bios prompt to go to bios Setup. Disconnecting the gpu (remember, I never powered it on) got the laptop to boot, but took 1-2 minutes to power on.
5. now that the laptop is powered on, I connected the gpu (gpu is still powered off) and the keyboard stopped responding.
Can you offer some suggestions as to what might be going on and how to fix it?
Thanks so much.
I think u have to reset the bios first and try again. You probably did step 5-16 wrongly and messed up the bios. Do download the software first and check. While doing step 5-16, you have to plug in your eGPU and connect it to the laptop. The eGPU will only crash while the eGPU is under heavy usage, e.g. playing game.