2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 560 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2)...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 560 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.5 [Fernando]  

RSS

Fernando
(@fernando)

System specs 

• 2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina
  • 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7
  • Nvidia GT750M dGPU
  • MacOS 10.14.5 (Mojave)

eGPU hardware 

Hardware pictures 
I'll update this post with the photos.

Installation steps 
 - Power supply 12v 10A - 120watt
I decided to use a power supply commonly used to power security cameras and strip light, because they are very-well build, easy to repair, almost never broke, don't heat and don't make noise. For the power cords, I picked it up from an old broken notebook's power brick that I had.

- Modding Akitio Thunder 2
These cases are not made for eGPUs, so they can't handle the heat very well. So, I decided to make a hole in the case, in front of GPU's fan. I didn't had the right tools to cut the aluminum, so I end up scratching  the whole thing! I've had to spray painting it to cover the scratches. I used this old speaker's grid (from these very old cars. Costs only few cents). I used just the grid, not the plastic frame.

MacOS
- Disabled  SIP;
- Run purge-wrangler;
- Run purge-nvda;

I enabled SIP after running purge-nvda. Everything works fine!

Benchmarks 

Comments 
The only downside is that, after installing purge-nvda, the mac doesn't go do sleep after closing the screen, no matter if the egpu is plugged-in or not. Also, when the computer goes to sleep after a few minutes idle, it won't turn the screen on again. You need to force shutdown and restart the machine.

2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 560 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.5 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mellowwood
(@mellowwood)

@fernando

Hi Fernando

Great setup. I have a similar build but with an nvidia gpu card and running 10.13.3. I was wondering, can you run steam with full egpu support on your setup? I was thinking to upgrade to AMD and mojave but concerned that i wont be able to run cs:go and other steam games once i upgrade?

Kind regards

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fernando
(@fernando)

Hi, I don't use this setup for gaming. But I need to tell you this, stay away from purge-nvda. Every time that I installed purge-nvda (for external monitor) my mac freezes on login screen. It happens around 2 to 3 days after I've installed purge-nvda. So, to fix it, I actually need to reinstall the OS using command + R.  Everything else works amazingly well!

2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 560 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Price Fox
(@price_fox)

@fernando

Thanks for your insights. I've read that you disabled SIP and installed purge-wrangler then. Afterwards, you enabled SIP again.

I've read in the purge-wrangler installation guide, that turning SIP on again ist not recommended after the installation of purge wrangler.

But you didn't have any issues? Everything works fine? Did you upgrade to Catalina?

Thanks in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote