Setup & Software Discussions
2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina Nvidia G...

2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina Nvidia GT750M + [email protected] + MacOS[Fernando]  

RSS

Fernando
(@fernando)
May 20, 2019 9:14 pm  

System specs 

• 2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina
  • 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7
  • Nvidia GT750M dGPU
  • MacOS 10.14.5 (Mojave)

eGPU hardware 

Hardware pictures 
I'll update this post with the photos.

Installation steps 
 - Power supply 12v 10A - 120watt
I decided to use a power supply commonly used to power security cameras and strip light, because they are very-well build, easy to repair, almost never broke, don't heat and don't make noise. For the power cords, I picked it up from an old broken notebook's power brick that I had.

- Modding Akitio Thunder 2
These cases are not made for eGPUs, so they can't handle the heat very well. So, I decided to make a hole in the case, in front of GPU's fan. I didn't had the right tools to cut the aluminum, so I end up scratching  the whole thing! I've had to spray painting it to cover the scratches. I used this old speaker's grid (from these very old cars. Costs only few cents). I used just the grid, not the plastic frame.

MacOS
- Disabled  SIP;
- Run purge-wrangler;
- Run purge-nvda;

I enabled SIP after running purge-nvda. Everything works fine!

Benchmarks 

Comments 
The only downside is that, after installing purge-nvda, the mac doesn't go do sleep after closing the screen, no matter if the egpu is plugged-in or not. Also, when the computer goes to sleep after a few minutes idle, it won't turn the screen on again. You need to force shutdown and restart the machine.

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote