2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win10 [tygpu]^  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2017 8:58 am  

System :

• Lenovo Thinkpad T530 (Model : 2429M69 - Screen : 1600x900 -  I7-3632QM (igpu HD4000), Ram 8 Go - 1333mhz , SSD 128Go, SSHD 2To, no dgpu)
  • Bios : G4ETA7WW (2.67 - 08/24/2016)
  • NVidia drivers : Forceware 382.05
  • External Screen : Samsung Syncmaster F2380M
  • EXP GDC Beast V8.4d
  • GTX 970 (MSI Gaming 4G)
  • ATX Corsair 400W (cmpsu-400cx)

Enclosure :

The attachment system is temporary, the final box will probably be made with lego.

Budget :

- Thinkpad T530 (with I5 3320m, ram 8 Go, ssd 128 Go) = 195 € (second hand 2017)

- MSI GTX970 gaming 4G = 119 € (second hand 2017)

Benchmarks :

Unigine Valley Benchmark :

3DMark Fire strike : with overclock via Afterburner

After many test, I will use the settings below when I need more power.

Witcher 3 @1080p

Diablo 3 @1080p

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 21, 2017 5:29 pm  

Hello,

Nice job here, thanks for posting it. 🙂

Please detail the "how to" to make it work, if the T530 boot along the eGPU, if this T530 have a dGPU, if the card is recognized straight without error, etc.

Post a better picture of the GDC with the card, the Lego stuff you build is a nice idea, would be nice to see it!

Also try some games and if you can post some msi afterburner screens recorded while playing a game, to give an overview of the "in game" game play.

The mistake on valley is normal, it do not recognize win10.

Have you tried to play on the internal? There is a trick to use the internal but you need to find a 80/100Ohm resistor. Go check my implementation for more info.

Have fun. 🙂

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 22, 2017 12:07 am  

Hi Wimpzilla ! Thanks for your comments !

I wondered if I need to  create a dedicated post for the « error »/issue !

I will try to answer quickly :

•           I use an external screen as first screen (FHD/1080p samsung syncmaster F2380M) with « extended view » on the internal (HD+/1600x900)
  •           For the moment , I have to boot without external screen and I can plug the hdmi when windows ask me to identify. (If I boot with the hdmi plugged , It will freeze before the bios. (I have to test again « delay » jumper on gdc, first test didn’t solve the trouble).
  •           There is no dgpu, only hd4000, I have set Nvidia driver to force gtx970 as main gpu.
  •          The screen capture « in game » will come soon !

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 22, 2017 7:52 pm  

Nice result you got, you feel the games stutter or just some normal occasional lags? The game play is smooth on overall?

I have almost the same laptop, a T530i along a 2670QM and a R9 270. I was wondering to upgrade the gpu, so i'm interested about your result with the GTX970. ^^

Please when you take the screenshot, show a full view of the MSI afterburner monitoring, that we can see the FPS count. Also you can edit witch stuff you want display into the OSD screen and what to record with the graphs. Likely it is useless to record cpu t° graph and the t° of all cores graph, the DDR ram usage, VID, etc. Everything is in the options.

Better record only the minimal to not charge the laptop. Because you could think monitoring is free resources, but on tight system it is absolutely not. Avoid when you know your system is stable and chill, just set your oc and close the program. You could record only GPU/CPU t°, GPU/CPU usage, FPS and Frametime. It is fairly enough.

I think after 5 post you can edit your own post, when you reach 5, add all the infos in the 1st post, much easier to find them.

Like the "how to" you posted to connect the eGPU. Also specify that your T530 version is without internal dGPU and have only the  HDXXXX iGPU. Also remember to update your 1st post when you add pictures.

The eGPU box made by lego, lego technic or meccano is a brilliant idea! ^^

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 23, 2017 6:09 am  

Hello!

I will reogarnise the post when I could edit!

For the games, no lag/stuttering with this settings. Maximum settings for Diablo, in the witcher I choose "elevated" and desactivated Nvidia hairworks, SSAO x4 activated.

For the FPS count, Rivatuner dysplay the score on screen, I will try to test without.

Do you have a link to see the spec of T530i? Thanks a lot for your advices! 🙂

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 23, 2017 7:44 am  

This is my troubleshot thread, i have also an implementation somewhere in this category if you look for with all the important stuff. You can have a look.

I got a lot of issues when i updated the bios and the Intel ME on my T530i and the EXP GDC, in my case. So maybe beware when you decide to upgrade them.

For the FPS/frametime count, just show the MSI/Riva graph in the screenshot, to show the fps over an amount of period.

What you get on OSD on your screen is up to you. Wanted just to remember that like all programs, extended monitoring could impact on perfs, on tight systems like laptops.

🙂

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 23, 2017 3:07 pm  

Well recorded for the monitoring software, I will try without!

I started to reorganize the first post, is it ok ?

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 23, 2017 6:20 pm  

Which settings are the best for afterburner/riva?

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 23, 2017 10:59 pm  

Hello,

Yep that's nice and ok, the thread in linked to the implementation table page. So if someone need an information about your setup, he just click on the link and everything about your setup is in the 1st post.

For the setting, usually i setup the OSD ingame display with FPS counter, GPU/CPU T° only, for me is enough. Then i record like i said in the graphs, FPS/Frametime, CPU/GPU t° and usage, GPU clocks. You need to navigate into the MSI afterburner options and go in the monitoring tab. Check this link. For the overclocking and other setting i can't help, long time i didn't overclock an nvidia card.

Also for max the usage of the cpu you can try to play with ThrottleStop tool, remember to always keep an eyes on CPU t°. TPFan is a little tool to manage the fan speed on your T530.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 23, 2017 11:13 pm  

Thanks for TPFan , I will test it!

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 23, 2017 11:19 pm  

Your welcome! ^^

It is a bit buggy if used with Trottlestop together, but alone work pretty neat, you set the manual mode and a value from 1-7, and it set a fixed speed.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 23, 2017 11:29 pm  

ThrottleStop is not supported by my CPU (3632QM)

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 23, 2017 11:41 pm  

Well normally it should, you should had access to FIRV, that is a tool to manage the turbo stuff etc within Throttlestop. Lunch it as admin.

But do not bother, was just a suggestion, on my T530i, the bios is locked, the only thing you can do with Throttlestop is force the cpu to be at 100%. It is useful sometimes.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 24, 2017 6:12 am  

For the moment , I'm not CPU limited but I couldn't pass OCCT stresstest for example. Cpu overheat >100°C .

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 24, 2017 10:11 am  

Well if you haven't changed the thermal paste of your cpu/heatsink for a while, it is normal.

Laptop cpu can't usually run full Prime load without throttling, the cpu once reach 100°, steep down it's own clock to limit the t° or if it can't it shut down.

Until you reach and pass 90°/95° while playing there is no problem at all. If you know how to change the thermal paste give it a try or ask some IT friends to do it for you.

Keeping the t° under 90° while playing would be nice overall.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 24, 2017 10:55 am  

Thermal paste has been changed when I move from I5-3320 to I7-3632qm. I don't remember the temp before.

In game, there is no problem for the moment.

It seems that the models with dgpu have a better ventirad.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 24, 2017 11:34 am  

So your setup is fine on overall, just a last thing to be sure, check you pci-e 1x link is in 2.0 mode, you can check this using Gpu-z under the bus interface box. There is ? mark near, open the render test and check if your pci-e speed change to 2.0 rev.

Yep model with a dGPU could have better ventirads, but at the end the overall t° are the same, the usual size of the fins at the end of the heat pipes are usually the same. They have maybe more and better efficient heatpipes. Nevertheless it is hard to chill decently a cpu in such tiny space. ^^

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 24, 2017 2:37 pm  

It is well in pci-express 2.0.

I will probably update the cpu with 3840qm.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 24, 2017 7:11 pm  

It is not a bad idea, if you looked at my threads, the T530 board seems to be the same board that the W530, so good so far.

From what i can say it is a nice board that pack a QM77 chipset and good VRM chip, but the bios are quite locked unfortunately.

Remember that what matter in game is the cpu clock, especially the base turbo boost clock, not the max turbo boost. So you get a 600Mhz bump on the base clock when running a game on 4 cores, i can suppose the turbo base clock would be 3.1/3.3Ghz, it is definitely worth especially if you can get a cheap 3840QM.

Obviously it will produce more heat, hope you can keep it warm with max fan speed. ^^

Did you updated your bios, intel ME?

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 24, 2017 10:21 pm  

Well noticed for the qm77 chipset and similarity with w530, just need a more powerful alimentation. It seems 3940xm is the maximum we could use. https://ark.intel.com/fr/products/71096/Intel-Core-i7-3940XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Could you tell me more about "Intel ME"?

I just add a photo of the bios in the first post.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 24, 2017 11:26 pm  

It seems you are running on the latest bios, it's fine. I think we have the same, the bios is shared along the T530/530i/W530.

Yep you will need a stronger power supply if you upgrade further, you should already running the laptop with a 90Watt at least, a 130Watt power brick would be the best.

Beware assuming that all the 3rd gen Ivy Bridge will fit, theoretically it is true, but maybe not in reality. Lenovo/IBM have some specific parts list attached to each device. Even if a part is compatible with the mb/chipset, the bios will maybe not take full advantage of it. Because not supported by the device initially, it's called white list.

So i would rather seek further infos before willing to upgrade to a QX unlocked cpu, you could maybe not take full advantage of it since the bios is pretty locked.

The Intel Me is a part of firmware that manage the chipset internal settings along the Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) features. Leave it alone as it is, the bios and ME on this laptop are locked, the performance gain not worth the mods difficulty.

PS: Your actual 3632QM is an Engendering Sample by the way, nice catch! I didn't noticed the fact and explain why it is not supported by Throttlestop!!!!! Can you post some screens with cpu-z? Witch is the max turbo boost on 4 cores while gaming? ^^

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 25, 2017 8:02 am  

I have not investigated but I think there is some modded Bios? They should authorize CPU upgrade.

I'm surprised but for the moment It runs with the 65W model (I have read it will not charge... but all seems to be ok).

Perhaps another fact linked to the "ES" version ? As you say "nice catch", when I buy It for my last laptop I don't know It was so powerful! Hope to find the same deal for a 3820/3840qm or 3920/3940xm.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 25, 2017 11:31 am  

The problem is not to mod the bios itself, but to flash it back. The bios chip would not accept modded bios because a file check is done before the flash, so the only way is to use an external programmer to rewrite the bios chip with your own bios firmware. The Intel ME mod also required some unlock and soldering. Together these 2 mods allow to overclock slightly even a locked cpu also freeing it from his TDP/Power block chains.

I would consider that the stock bios would recognize any QM Sandy/Ivy cpu even if not supported initially by the laptop specs. But when you switch to a QX cpu, the Mutli, TDP settings are quite different from a QM cpu. So the bios would not allow you any changes on the cpu settings even if you could, all you can hope is that XTU, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ThrottleStop allow you to manage the QX cpu under windows.

I would definitely seek for an high en QM cpu like your nice ES sample if cheap, but i would leave aside the ES QX models if you not plan to overclock it and mod the laptop in a decent way to support it. The performance gain would be already significant with an higher QM cpu, remember what is important for you is the base turbo clock, once you get 3/3.3Ghz on 4 cores, it is enough power for a laptop.

Also the QM Sandy bridge are rated 45Watt, thus i got a TDP lock on my 2670QM with the T530 bios. Your actual ES QM Ivy Bridge are rated 35Watt, the bios is fine with since it support 35Watt TDP power management.  Others QM/QX cpu are rated 45/55Watt, far higher than your cpu specs. Also even if i admit that the VRM power phases of the T530 are quite nice, i'm not sure if good enough, to feed decently a QX model.

A 65Watt power brick is ok, but you are using 100% of his efficency +/-, switching to a 90Watt remove some stress on the power supply, thus delivering better current.

Don't expect any help from Lenovo/IBM about cpu support, i tried i failed. They offer support for the laptop with the original part list.

Edit: It seems QX are supported by the stock bios, see here. But still personally i would leave them aside. ^^

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 25, 2017 12:34 pm  

Ok it seems to be "space" for flashing the bios, I will have a look! I will check for Intel "etreme utility setup".

The 55W tdp model seems too high for my ventirad!

I have checked the alimentation (65W)! it is very hot!!!

For IBM/LENOVO support , I don't dream! 😉

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 25, 2017 1:01 pm  

Yep i think your gaming/working setup is fine as it is, no need to mod but just upgrade to a faster cpu.

I checked the specs and i think the nominal TDP of the QX is 55Watt, with a steep down to 45Watt hopefully, but also a steep up to 65Watt if the motherboard/bios support, lol. ^^

I think everything in XTU should be locked with your actual cpu/bios, but who known, since it is an ES sample maybe it have some settings unlocked.

If you can get a Lenovo genuine 90Watt, the laptop is always happy when it recognize decently the power brick rating.

🙂

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 25, 2017 4:13 pm  

It seem that qm77 let me set it on XTU !

Clearly I'm limited by the cooling system, cf throttling. I have slightly bend the caloduc , I sometimes asked me if It could be a problem! 🙂

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 26, 2017 9:02 am  

LOL Awesome ES Sample!

Not sure if i'm right here, you can notice when traveling through XTU that everything is greyed locked as it should be, but surprisingly the option that manage the cpu TDP lock, one of the most important option, is free trololol! 🙂

Therefore, the cpu itself seems not apply correctly the register settings given by the bios, that are locked by default, so everything is locked but the TDP lock register, trololol.

That's why your cpu heat so much and perform so well, 500pts on the XTU bench is a lot stock settings. You can use Cinebench R15 or the CPU-Z bench if you want to compare performances to a desktop.

In this state without TDP lock, the cpu transistors use all the power they need to perform a calculation, instead having a lock that limit the amount of current/heat produced by the cpu when performing calculation. This constant steep down to a certain defined TDP to constrain the current/heat produced, deteriorate a bit the overall performances of the cpu. For the sake of keeping cool your laptop.

Conclusion, if your ES sample is rated 35Watt TDP, it seems instead actually running full capabilities like a desktop cpu, with 40Watt TDP limit.

You could go further to 45Watt to see if you get further improvement, but it is useless and will heat a lot. What really matter that is the cpu don't bother to constantly look at his thermal proprieties when busy calculating.

Not even sure you could reproduce this with other ES samples. ^^

Probably some configuration settings register within the cpu are disable and/or not present.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 26, 2017 11:12 pm  

Yes it seems I could set Turbo Boost Power! The other settings are locked. i will set 40w to check stability, this is my personal laptop, I have to be stable! 🙂

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 26, 2017 11:50 pm  

Here is cinebench, opengpl test crash!

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 27, 2017 4:19 am  

Yep openGl crash because the internal iGPU i think.

Well, half of the compute power of a  desktop 4770K is not bad at all. You got the raw power of a basic i5 desktop quad, for an old cpu is not bad at all. ^^

Like i said, leave it like it is, you can bump a bit the power values in XTU but it will not bring much. The most important that the TDP lock is removed. Just keep an eyes on cpu t°.

On overall i think you get decent cpu/laptop performances, much better imo, than any dual core sold at the moment. ^^

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 28, 2017 8:55 am  

Hi!

It seems my power brick is out of order! 🙁  I can't restart the laptop...

I will have to choose between 90 and 130w models and hope there is no more damage...:)

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 28, 2017 9:48 am  

Hey,

Can you give some further info on what happen?

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 28, 2017 11:37 am  

I have not well understood the cause. The system was off/sleepmode. I wanted to restart after 3-4hours and nothing, just 2 "flash" from the battery led when I plug the alimentation, the red led is sometimes on too!

For the moment I have to go back to my old laptop with I5-3320m... I will test it with an edge15 alimentation before order a more powerful one!

I asked me to test the 3320M, the base frequence is higher, perhaps It will be better in games or some application.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
May 28, 2017 6:07 pm  

Did you try to test the power brick with a multimeter if you have one? Was a genuine Lenovo one?

Check here the led blinking status, if you had some sort of code when plugging the brick, it could help to troubleshoot.

It work on battery? Or even with the battery it refuse to boot?

Yes you can try another power brick, it need to match the voltage, it will work with around 19/20V and the connector have the same shape that the Lenovo one with a sense pin in the middle.

I would say 90Watt is the minimum for a quad core, 130Watt and up if you get a quad and a dGPU generally.

Well about the 3320M, test yourself a game and report if you notice a difference. Remember that the 3320M is a dual core 4 thread, the other QM is a quad core 8 thread.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
May 29, 2017 4:56 am  

Ok thanks a lot! I haven't mutimeter (I know it's a shame! 🙂 ) But I could test it with the "thinkpad edge15".

Thanks for the link concerning led, I will recheck but I think that was just 1 or 2 "green flash from external "battery status indicator".

I use 3320M in an another Clevo laptop (HM77 motherboard), I could not connect the egpu cause I don't have mPCIe cable (and no EC on the board). Just try "XTU" to compare and not sure to well understand the max power settings (turbo/mini).

I forgot the alimentation was a "genuine lenovo".

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member
June 14, 2017 8:32 am  

Here is some news...

I have tested with a 90w brick without success. When I plug it, the battery led blink 3 times "green" and nothing else. Impossible to boot, with or without battery.

I now think about cmos battery failure, but I have no signs before and it should start and give an error code in this case ?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next