Setup & Software Discussions
2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + ...

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [tygpu]  

of  2
  RSS

wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

So just with the newer power brick, the battery led led blink 3 times then nothing? Did you discharge the caps, pressing the power button 15s w/o power supply?

Did the laptop charge when the battery is plugged in?

If you want to clear the CMOS, you need to disassemble the keyboard, then you can reach the CMOS battery. Unplug it and leave it 30min outside the laptop.

Then plug it back and try the laptop again.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member

Hi, I have tried to "discharge the caps" but nothing change. There is no sign of charging with the battery. The yellow usb port "always on" don't work either.

I don't really believe that the bios is the issue but I will try.

Thanks again for your support ! 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Humm, it seems that the issue is bit worse than i though. Check if you notice any apparent damage on the motherboard, near the DC power plug.

Generally in this cases a good try is to remove the CMOS battery and at this point the RAM, HDD, WIFI card, everything accessible that could be disconnected.

Then check again pulling back the components one by one, ram, hdd, etc. If still nothing, you will have to ask to some computer technician to check for you further.

I really do not understand how it could died like this, i looked for you on Lenovo forum, aside finding that the T430 had a similar issue that make laptop just die.

Due to an EPROM chip issue, the laptop was put under sleep and never wake up again, from what i got from the t430 thread. Dunno if it apply to T530 also?

No problem sir, you are welcome.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member

There isn't apparent damage, and there were no strange or "burned" smell just after the issue.
But there is a good and bad news...

I have find a power button code for older thinkpad : "push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals. Next, you push and hold the power button for 30 seconds". But before test it, I try to disconnect the CMOS battery and "succeed" to desoldered the female part of the plug  🙁

Desperate, I try the code without it and It start!! More exactly, it shows signs of life when I press the button (fan runs, thinklight flash, and I have the 3 beep for a systemboard error... after that the power button stay green and nothing.
I don't know if I'm enough gifted to resoldered the plug but nothing to lost!

A link that explain the "power button code" http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

I'm glad and happy to heard that at least it bip now.

Don't worry for the connector, it is not a tremendous issue. If you don't have the tools or past experience in soldering, just ask a skilled friend to do.

I can provide you a picture of the connector like this you couldn't do wrong. It should boot without battery but it couldn't save the bios information an reset to stock values.

I found too this technique but i admit, i didn't read carefully, i'm glad you did. 🙂

Now can you please describe the bip error code gave by the motherboard. It is 3 short bip without interruption, or a mix of long and short bip.

Here the link with the error bip codes.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member

Hello!

I didn't given up! but not many time the last weeks.

The bip error is a mix , this one I think : "One short beep, one pause, three short beeps, one pause, three short beeps, and one short beep" empty screen.

If I remove the dimm, I have "Two short beeps "empty screen.

I have started to remove the systemboard in order to resolder the plug. The hardware maintenance manual is well done, but it takes a moment! 🙂

Edit : Here is the plug! As you could see, the damage is not on the solder but the "tracks" on the system board... 🙁

T530 bios battery plug

T530 bios battery plug2

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Hello,

I'm not posting nor helping anymore on this forum, sorry i can't help you further. The only thing i can suggest you is to try to reconstitute the tracks.

• For the positive, red wire it is not hard, you can follow the trace and found another place where to solder the battery wire.
  • For the ground, black wire, it is a bit more difficult because the ground battery pad seems shared by the Q63 component. So you need to bring back the Q63 ground connection.
  • I hope you didn't damage the track pictured in pink, this would be really hard to fix, small track that go somewhere on the Q63 i think.
  1. So you could either glue back the connector and restore the track scratching delicately a bit the pcb track to expose the copper. Then with the soldering iron and a tiny bit of tin try to join them together.
  2. Solder directly the battery wire to the components, and restore the ground to the Q63 with another wire.
  3. Ask someone to do that, it is not a difficult job, but required a bit of experience and the tool for.

The schematics are not really clear on this part, because here the manufacturer have more freedom for design the circuit. So the tracks match more or less the schematics, for instance the connection between the ground battery pad and the Q63 component is not pictured. Just as general connection to the ground plane, so check again carefully where the tracks goes and restore them. You have the schematics to help you if needed in my thread!

Hope it help, wish you good luck and hope someone else will help you after me, if you need further advice.

Ciao 0/

E=Mc²

tygpu liked
ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member

One more thank WimpZilla! 🙂

Sorry to see you leave the forum! Sure it's for greaters adventures! I will have a look to your thread.  Thanks again for your support.

Finally , we perhaps never know if the systemboard was out before my " mistake"! I couldn't imagine there were these "cooper tracks "... Good lesson! 🙂

I will create a new thread for a T540p found at good price! And check for a new motherboard I think.

ReplyQuote
sakcox
(@sakcox)

Hello, @tygpu! I'm a new soldier in eGPU world. Sorry if I'm bring this topic back to life, but one thing is annoying me: did you find a way to boot with the hdmi plugged to the GPU? I'm almost breaking the hdmi conector for so many times I have to unplug and replug it back.

Thank's for any coment! Regards,
Posted by: tygpu

(...)

I will try to answer quickly :

(...)

•          For the moment , I have to boot without external screen and I can plug the hdmi when windows ask me to identify. (If I boot with the hdmi plugged , It will freeze before the bios. (I have to test again « delay » jumper on gdc, first test didn’t solve the trouble).

ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member

Posted by: sakcox
Hello, @tygpu! I'm a new soldier in eGPU world. Sorry if I'm bring this topic back to life, but one thing is annoying me: did you find a way to boot with the hdmi plugged to the GPU? I'm almost breaking the hdmi conector for so many times I have to unplug and replug it back.

Thank's for any coment! Regards,
Posted by: tygpu

(...)

I will try to answer quickly :

(...)

•          For the moment , I have to boot without external screen and I can plug the hdmi when windows ask me to identify. (If I boot with the hdmi plugged , It will freeze before the bios. (I have to test again « delay » jumper on gdc, first test didn’t solve the trouble).

Welcome to egpu.io!
I no longer use T530, but I suggest you to set delay to 15s on the EXP GDC and deactivate sleep mode & hibernation. With this settings, on the T540p I have no issue.

ReplyQuote
sakcox
(@sakcox)

Thank's a lot! I'll try it!

ReplyQuote
MrBoudinPomme
(@mrboudinpomme)

Hey, i really like the lego idea ^^. Nice setup

ReplyQuote
 of  2