2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.14.6  

RSS

dmca
 dmca
(@dmca)

System specs

• Late-2013 15"  Macbook Pro  Retina - macOS10.14.6 
  • cpu: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
  • igpu: Intel Iris Pro
  • dgpu: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
  • LG HDR WQHD Display (34-inch (3440 x 1440) LG 34WN80C-B)
  • LG HDR 4K Display (27-inch (3840 x 2160) 27UK850/BK85U)

eGPU hardware

Installation steps

Common simple installation:

1. I disabled SIP

2. Run Before I ran  purge-wrangler.sh   as per instructions on the  purge-wrangler  page (everything was automatically).

3. The I ran  purge-nvda.sh  selecting option one for AMD, because without it the external monitors was blank and black.

Benchmarks

No any special benchmarks

Comments

I just wanted to describe my use-case, because I haven't find the similar information. My major target was development improvement without any gaming goals. I have 2 external monitors (WQHD+ and 4K) and even just 4k external monitor was hard for the macbook to work with. The "WindowServer" process took a lot of CPU and sometimes switching between Desktops was hard. So I was able to use only 1x 4k display or WQHD+ with FullHD and closed macbook to disable internal display (to save the performance) for normal performance. But with eGpu my macbook can easily handle WQHD+, with 4K and internal display at the same time, switching between Desktops is instant! And as the result, because the dGpu is not used, the temperature of CPU is lower, so the general daily performance much better (up to -10C in avarage usage). Of course, sleep mode doesn't work. And I can't disable or internal display. But with egpu internal display doesn't make any performance issues.
Also, I am not a big games, but I tried CS:GO (60 fps without problems) and LOL at my WQHD+, not FullHD! .LOL was with active youtube at the second 4k monitor and everything was great.

This topic was modified 6 days ago
2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dmca
 dmca
(@dmca)

Additional Experience

I want to add some information about eGpu for regular work with external monitors. I've installed iStats to see eGpu usage and performance. And now I see the reason why eGpu can be usefull. I have 580 and I choose it because it has 8Gb. With 3 monitors (1x4k, 1xWQHD+, 1xInternal Retina) and with regular working software (Google Chrome ~10 tabs, Safari ~10 tabs, Intellij Idea, Sketch, Termintal, Messengers) I see the 35%(2 .8Gb) usage of eGPU memory. If I open more apps it goes more that 50% (>4Gb). I see how it's important to have a lot of GPU memory for external monitors with a big resolution. With dGPU that has only 2Gb now it's obvious that it wasn't out of it's possibilities. Yes, it's easy for eGPU processor to handle it, it's temperature mostly less than 50c almost all the time and usage <25%, but egpu memory do its job well! 

This post was modified 5 days ago
2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote