Setup & Software Discussions
2013 27" iMac (GTX780M) [4th, 4C,] + Radeon VII @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaw...

2013 27" iMac (GTX780M) [4th, 4C,] + Radeon VII @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 10.15.1 [PascalB]  

RSS

PascalB
(@pascalb)

System specs

• Late 2013 27" iMac i7@3.5GHz - 24 Go RAM - Nvidia GTX 780M - 4Go
  • Catalina 10.15.1
  • 27-inch (2560 x 1440) NEC SpectraView PA272W Display
  • 2 TB1 ports :
    1. eGPU connected with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter
    2. Akitio Thunder 3 RAID Station connected on TB3 #1 with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter, including :
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 860 - 4 TB SSD inside
      • Akitio Thunder D3 (with 2 x Samsung EVO 850 - 500 GB SSD inside) connected on TB3 #2 with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter
      • External screen connected on Displayport

eGPU Hardware

• Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650
  • Gigabyte AMD Radeon VII
  • Standard Apple TB3 -> TB2/1 adapter in order to connect the eGPU to one of the two iMac's TB1 ports.

Installation steps

In order to avoid the black screen on the external display (preventing booting), I need to proceed this way

1. Disable SIP (System Integrity Protection)
  2. Reboot
  3. Connect the external display to Akitio Thunder 3 RAID Station's DisplayPort
  4. Install mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler.sh 6.1 script
  5. Reboot
  6. Set "Privilege eGPU" at "Read Information" level (right click) for relevant applications (example : Adobe Lightroom, DaVinci Resolve)
  7. Eventually activate full GPU support at application level (example : Adobe Lightroom, DaVinci Resolve)

Benchmarks

Coming soon

Comments

When the application supports GPU/eGPU,  improvements are real. As a Pro Photographer, I can confirm that Lightroom latest release (9.0) runs pretty well on my systems, and previous bottlenecks seem to be gone (to be confirmed over time). At the moment I can only note that the eGPU is more and more solicited after each new lightroom update).

For gaming, the enhancements are real and I can play F1 2017, Dirt 4, Grid Autosport, Mad Max, Hitman or Rise of the Tomb Rider at high resolutions (minimum 1600x1900) and full options On.

Of course, I am aware that my configuration is not optimal because of the limitation of the port TB1 of my system plus the fact that I can't connect the external display directly to the eGPU DisplayPort (black screen). However, the use of eGPU (thanks to Purge-Wrangler) has brought my system to a new level and this should allow me to wait for the next iMac Pro (in 2020 I hope), which is my next goal. My eGPU will then be able to give all its power and bring additional performance for years to come (especially when the applications will benefit from both the GPU and the eGPU).

Finally, I am really satisfied with the management of fans (graphics card and case). I was a little worried about the heat and the noise, but everything is very well managed. Since my system is connected to an inverter (Eaton Ellipse Pro 1600), the eGPU automatically turns on/off when the computer boots /shuts down (fans just go full speed half a second).

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

iMac 27" i7 - mid 2013 (dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go) with 2 TB1 ports - TB1 Port #2 : eGPU : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 OC + Gibabyte Radeon VII - TB1 Port #1 : Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station + Akitio Thunder D3 with SSD inside - External display (NEC Spectraview 27" PW272W connected to Atikio Thunder3 RAID Station Display port (direct connection to eGPU Display port is not supported : black screen)

mac_editor and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@pascalb Nice build and great to hear Thunderbolt 1 systems can benefit from eGPU in real-world application!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

@itsage

Yes, and without eGPU.io community and fantastic work from some of you I wouldn't have tried !

Thanks guys ! Very appreciated.

iMac 27" i7 - mid 2013 (dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go) with 2 TB1 ports - TB1 Port #2 : eGPU : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 OC + Gibabyte Radeon VII - TB1 Port #1 : Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station + Akitio Thunder D3 with SSD inside - External display (NEC Spectraview 27" PW272W connected to Atikio Thunder3 RAID Station Display port (direct connection to eGPU Display port is not supported : black screen)

ReplyQuote