late-2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10 [André Santos Silva]^ // using external display  

RSS

André Santos Silva
(@andre_santos_silva)
October 1, 2017 10:19 pm  

I'm sharing my sucess story in order to help who may be in a similar system as me and is undecided.
A huge shoutout to everybody to is developing this community! I wouldn't be able to have this system if it weren't for the likes of goalque, theitsage and nando4 among others.

I have to say, it was much easier than I expected for both macOS and Win10 as it was mostly plug and play for both systems.
I decided to purchase a RX 580 because Apple is officially supporting it in High Sierra and even if I were unable to have it working in Windows, I would always have to option to use it in macOS. I was looking into a Vega 56 but I was concerned over the power consumption so I ended by buying the RX 580 - no TDP issues atm.

System:

Late 2013 macbook pro retina 13'' (no dGPU) in macOS 10.13 and Win 10 Creators
Sonnet 350 (not the Developers Box by Apple as they are different)
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Thunderbolt 2 cable
Apple TB3->TB2 adapter
4K Monitor 60Hz FreeSync

macOS

Literal plug and play, only requiring to logoff after a notification. I'm seeing huge improvements on the external display on 4K.

Windows 10 Creators Update

(Hotplugging did not work after many tries and ended up corrupting the win 10 install, which required a new install via bootcamp).

The process to which I got it working was by using a pen and using apple_set_os.efi as explained by goalque.
As this process may be more complicated for some, I'm pasting the steps below (credits to @goalque) and completing with my own steps.

1. Format an USB stick in Disk Utility (Choose Erase, Format: MS-DOS (FAT), Scheme: Master Boot Record)

2. Create a USB stick folder structure in Finder as follows: /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi where bootx64.efi is the renamed apple_set_os.efi file downloaded below.

https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi/releases

3. Turn off your computer

4. Connect pen to the pc

5. Turn on the mac and press option key

6. Connect the Thunderbolt cable to PC (sonnet was already turned on at the time)

7. Select EFI boot.

8.Boot will start normally and Windows will detect that a egpu is connected and Windows Update will automatically download and install the latest drivers.

9. Restart the pc as per the windows update instructions and repeat efi boot process via option key.

10. Success!

I'll be posting benchmarks in the near future.
If you have any questions be sure to ask. My knowledge is limited but I'll do my best to help.

EDITS: Formatting

late-2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Sonnet Greakaway 350 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

Zetthard, Miguel Pereira, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
March 21, 2018 2:24 pm  

@abdre_santos_silva

Dude please check PM, would be lovely to get some quick help from you regarding this setup

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Zetthard
(@zetthard)
May 3, 2018 7:30 am  

@andre_santos_silva Thank you for sharing your set up with detailed steps. I have couple of questions regarding bootcamp installation.
Do you need to attach mentioned EFI USB stick every time you boot into Windows, or it is only required for initial patching? How do you finish work - is there a special way to safely eject eGPU in bootcamp Windows (is it required actually?). AFAIK hot-unplugging is not functioning in bootcamp even with AMD cards. How is sleep-awake performance? I may guess you have to completely shut down Macbook when you finish using it, right?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
xBattleFreakx
(@xbattlefreakx)
June 27, 2018 10:33 pm  

I have the same setup as you. With me comes Error 12. If I disable the PCI ports, I have to restart and then reactivate. Then the RX 580 will be displayed and working.

At the next boat I have to do the steps again to use RX 580.

Is that always the case or is there a solution?

I can not use RX 580 on the internal screen.

With kind regards

Late 2015 15" Macbook Pro Iris Pro + RX 580 [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350 via TB3 to TB2 adapter) macOS 10.13.6 + Win8.1

ReplyQuote