2013 MacPro 2xD700 [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS10.13.1 [ imcalledandy]^  

RSS

imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member
October 25, 2017 1:00 pm  

I'm joining the list of happy users who now have NVIDIA eGPU working in macOS High Sierra using:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/

THANK YOU YIFANLU!!

I couldn't wait until the weekend and now have 2 x NVIDIA 980Ti working on my 2013 Mac Pro.

I was nervous because I'd followed all the steps and when I plugged in the eGPUs and turned on there was no chime / whoosh.

So I used the boot delay method;

1. Turn Mac on
  2. Wait for chime / whoosh followed by progress bar
  3. Plug in / Switch on eGPU(s). In my case I plugged them in one by one.

The progress bar took a couple of minutes to complete and then I logged in and both eGPUs are recognised - I fired up C4D and began rendering in Octane - all good!

Note: I do not have external displays plugged into the eGPUs and I have one eGPU plugged into Bus 1 and the other in Bus 2 since Bus 0 is running my two displays.

I hope this helps any Mac Pro users looking to take the leap.

Cheers,
Andy

Pictures

Here are my custom builds.

2013 MacPro 2xD700 [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.3
2017 TB MBP 2xGTX1080Ti-TB3 (Akitio Node) + macOS 10.13.4

jtob, nando4, Eightarmedpet and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member
October 30, 2017 12:11 pm  

I’ve just updated to the latest NVIDIA web driver – 378.10.10.10.15.121 and when I logged in I had some crazy mirroring and flickering with large red artefacts on my displays. Between the flickering I was able to get into System Preferences and verify that both the 980Tis were recognised so I went into displays and turned on mirroring, then turned it off and the flickering stopped and artefacts disappeared – so just posting my workaround in case others find it useful.

Specs for ref: Mac Pro 2013 – 2 x 980Ti (2 x Custom Akitio Thunder 2).

goalque and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member
November 2, 2017 1:47 pm  

Unfortunately I've taken a step back...

Updated to 10.13.1

Installed the latest NVIDIA Web Driver

Installed v2 of the app.

Now only one card is recognised :/

I've checked connections and done the login / logout with the cards individually and both work, but not if you turn both on and login / logout.

If you do one after the other, after the second log out, the screen goes black with the mouse in the top left corner, then the mouse disappears and you have to force shut down.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: After several failed attempts and plenty of trouble shooting, I’ve succeeded with my dual eGPU setup with the nMP. Phew!

I was doing the login / log out wrong; I was logging in, connecting the cards, then logging out, then logging back in again.

This worked with a single card, but not with both!

My new process:

• Start macOS from cold without eGPUs connected.
  • Log out
  • Now connect BOTH eGPUs
  • Wait…
  • Success!

It remains to be seen if any further issues arise, but for now I’m going to follow this method.

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
December 15, 2017 1:04 pm  

Hi iamcalledandy,  j have a similar build for a similar purpose. 2013 Mac Pro with 1 sonnet enclosure housing a gtx 1080ti for 3D rendering in redshift with Houdini.  

After some fiddling I got it up and running almost perfectly. I’m on the latest High Sierra os. 

Since We have 6 thunderbolt ports what’s to stop us from firing up a whole bunch of eGPUs? I’ve only read about 2 connected (like your rig).

thanks,

jonah

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
December 15, 2017 8:27 pm  

That's the million dollar question.  I know for a fact that a multi-GPU enclosure will booth with 2 GPUs in it, but not 3.

Now if we connect a second enclosure and put 2 GPUs in it, will it boot?

If we connect a third to bus 2, can we connect another enclosure with 2 more GPUs?

If anybody knows yet, they're not saying.

And if it doesn't boot, Apple should update the EFI to allow it.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 15, 2017 9:05 pm  

This may come down to the PCIe lane allocation to the Thunderbolt 2 ports. Of the 40 lanes, 32 are dedicated to the dual FirePros. The remaining 8 lanes are linked to a PLX PCI switch. While it is possible for any one of these Thunderbolt 2 ports to have 4 lanes, simultaneous use of more than 2 eGPUs causes conflicts. This is only a guess. I have seen 3 eGPUs showed up in System Information with the nMP. However, only two of them were functional.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
December 16, 2017 3:14 am  

There's a fellow on MacRumors dissecting the 6,1 motherboard to see if he can access the PCIe lanes.  Could be interesting.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
(@xun_yang)
January 13, 2018 6:21 pm  

Hi! I read the original post by Tianlu. However it doesnt work on my mac yet...

Firstly I cannot install the web driver when csrutil is enabled...

Secondly since the package does no longer exist... could you please tell me what inside is...

Can you please reply me? Thanks so much! I have aorus gaming box...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote