2013 MacPro 2xD700 [email protected] (AKiTiO Node x2 via TB3-to-TB2 adapter x2) + macOS10.13Beta [mizar]^  

RSS

mizar
(@mizar)
June 29, 2017 6:15 pm  

Macpro 2013 12cores dual d700

Had succes with dual egpu dual rx580, no display connected , egpu only to accelerate Apple Pro app (I use 90% of the time only Apple pro app) during F.Cut editing all the 4 GPU in the system (2 D700 and 2 Rx 580) are working and helping in the rendering!!!

Dual egpu is possible (for me) on the Mac Pro 2013 only when y connect the second egpu during the boot process, when the Apple logo show up, if not the system won't boot with dual egpu.

Using High Sierra beta2  , dual Akitio node latest firmware, apple TB3 to TB2 adaptors and connect to the TB bus 0 and 1

Hope my experience can be usefull

Ciao

I attached some pics

Luxmark results and Brucex test took only 13 sec!!!!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Flint Ironstag, ikir, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
June 29, 2017 6:39 pm  

Just seen the High Sierra Beta 2 update 1

If there are some changes for me I'll post

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 29, 2017 6:44 pm  

Nice work! I wonder why you have to boot with the eGPU attached. In 10.13, you can hot plug the eGPUs then simply log out to let the kexts load.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

mizar liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
June 29, 2017 7:02 pm  

Cause I did not know that!!!!

I had many problems with dual egpu with 10.2!!! was the only method plug during the boot

I tried right know yes after log off it works, still cannot do a regular reboot I think with dual egpu

Thanks a lot

Ciao

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 29, 2017 7:05 pm  

You can try connecting both eGPUs to Thunderbolt Bus 0 via Port 5 and 6. Make sure there's no display connected to HDMI port. We found Port 5 and 6 more eGPU-friendly and won't hang the nMP at boot.

mizar and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
June 29, 2017 7:08 pm  

Nice

Do y think the egpus will share one TB2 bus speed or will be same 20+20gbps??

Thanks Again I'll try it later

Ciao

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 29, 2017 7:11 pm  

Each Thunderbolt Bus in the nMP can handle upto two display devices so the bandwidth is shared. However, in your use case it may not effect much. If your dual RX 580 eGPU setup works nicely via Port 5 & 6, run LuxMark again and see if there's a big difference. My guess is there's very little difference.

mizar liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
June 29, 2017 7:25 pm  

OK by the way my Mac its on 24/24

Reboot is very rare

Thanks a lot

Ciao

ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
June 30, 2017 7:55 am  

I tried to connect to the two egpu in the same bus thunderbolt 0 port 5-6

Reboot still does not work for me with two egpu, I have to disconnect one egpu and boot will be ok

Anyway its not a big deal for me, need only to hotplug the second egpu into the system (10.13 beta 2 update 1), log off and its recognise, thanks to theitsage advice.

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
June 30, 2017 3:47 pm  

Geek-bench OpenCL Rx580 single card only egpu akitio node, Mac Pro 2013

Compared to the D700 result single card

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
July 3, 2017 10:41 pm  

This is poetry 👍🏼

Incredibile scores

eGPU.it | LG 34" 4K 34UC88 curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

mizar liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
July 5, 2017 9:34 am  

I'm planning to try accelerate the internal display(maybe multiple display) like in the macbook pro using the method posted here.  https://egpu.io/how-to-egpu-accelerated-internal-display-macos/

I'm waiting to get the hdmi ghost adapters and I'll keep y informed

Ciao

ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
July 7, 2017 6:37 pm  

Update HDMI Ghost Adapter

The attempt failed!!

My Mac Pro froze when I connected the Hdmi adapter to try accelerate the internal display

By the way also connecting directly my Led Cinema 27 to the egpu does not work at all.

I have 3 monitors connected, One apple 27 Led, Thunderbolt Display and the Lg 38 curved ultra wide and all the monitor are connected to the internal GPU D700.

I still can use the two eGPU only to accelerate Apple Pro APP

This is the situation for me with latest beta of High Sierra

Ciao

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 7, 2017 11:41 pm  

I'm curious why the LED Cinema Display doesn't work directly with one of the eGPUs. Are you using a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter? The LG 38UC99-W can definitely connect to one of the eGPUs via DisplayPort. That would leave you with only the Thunderbolt Display connecting to the nMP directly.

mizar liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
July 8, 2017 9:25 am  

I'm curious too

no one display is working for me with egpu!!!!!

I have all the cables/adaptors, i tried everything!

I connect the display to the monitor and the computer freeze!!! Like  with the HDMI ghost !!!

I'll try again later and I'll post my experience but will the same (:

(I have also connected my Tv to the hdmi port so mac is driving 4 displays)

Ciao

ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
July 8, 2017 5:33 pm  

I can confirm that I cannot use the egpu to drive another display, in my configuration

Computer freeze and when I disconnect the dp cable will be ok

I think that I have to disconnect all the monitors from the D700  (I have 3 monitors , one thunderbolt, plus a hdmi tv) but at this point its better to use the egpu only to accelerate Apple pro app till something change!!

Anyway I noticed that when I update to High Sierra  the boot rom change, I had two MacPro that had same boot room now they have different one.........Attached the file

One mac is with Sierra the 6 core, 12 core is with High Sierra

Ciao

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member
August 23, 2017 10:32 pm  

Hi Mizar,

Thanks for posting all your work on your implementation.

I am doing something similar but with a Mantiz Venus and GeForce 1080Ti (from MSI). My MacPro has D300's but otherwise the same. I too cannot get a monitor output on the eGPU connected displays but the directly attached HDMI display works fine. The eGPU is seen on the TB 0 bus and the video card is recognised in System Profiler. 

I have tried Goalque's script and Rastafabi's software too - same issue on both. I know the eGPU enclosure and card work because I have managed to get my Mid-2015 MPR working fine with automate-eGPU (using -a argument). 

I tried disconnecting the HDMI display and plugging this too into the 1080Ti, but then I get nothing on ALL displays - though I believe the MacPro is booting. 

Did you manage to get external displays working on your AKiTio / AMD setup yet?

Regards,

Hypernurd

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
September 24, 2017 10:41 am  

Sorry for my late reply!!!

I was in Holiday in August and when I was back too busy keep up with my Job

NO way to get one monitor working well, its not stable for me

Ciao

ReplyQuote
macsonny
(@macsonny)
March 16, 2018 8:11 am  

Hi,

I have the same setup as you and have my Mac Pro running great. To be honest though, not seeing much difference between the RX580 and internal D300 graphics. Did you notice much difference?

Also, I have Windows 10 running on an external TB drive to boot my Mac Pro. Have you worked out how to get your system to boot in Windows and use the RX580 video card?

Thanks

Sonny

ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
March 25, 2018 4:49 pm  
Trying something new here!!!

Dual Akitio Node PSU 600w (I had to changed it) Dual Vega 64 Asus triple fan Mac Pro 2013 32gb 12 core d700 (OMG Still waiting so much the new Mac Pro!!)

Mac OS 10.13.3, the beta 10.13.4 broken the support for egpu in my TB2 Mac

Final cut only the old version  10.3.4 works with acceleration and ts bloody fast 10.4 only internal GPU, so bad!!!

Blender I cannot activate the GPU acceleration don’t know why!!!

Finally I can connect two monitors on the external GPU's and the Thunderbolt Display on the internal gpu without any problems!!!!! ( I cannot do it before freezing!!)

If y have some suggestion please let me know.

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Estimable Member
March 25, 2018 10:08 pm  

@mizar

Wicked set up. 

Is anything else needed other then FCPx 10.3.4 to gain eGPU acceleration? 
No specific version of pro codecs etc?
Does Compressor utilise eGPU as well?

I went back in my time machine and restored the old 10.3.4 but did not experience any performance rewards. But I’m on a 1070 and not Radeon. 

2012 Mac Mini + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

mizar liked
ReplyQuote
mizar
(@mizar)
March 25, 2018 10:19 pm  

FCPX works the best with Radeon, no way to find improvement there, never used Premiere but should be better with CUDA

Yes compressor as well radeon

All the Mac lineup ships with AMD now the optimisation is better with AMD

Ciao

ReplyQuote