2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,4C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,4C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6  

RSS

crxport
(@crxport)

System specs (Mac Pro 6,1 Xeon E5-1620 3.7 GHz, 16gb RAM, 500gb SSD, Dell 32 inch 4k)

eGPU hardware (Razer Core x Chroma, no mods, no additional connected devices)

Hardware pictures n/a

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Thanks to the tremendous wealth of data on this platform.  I spent many a hours scouring the posts and guides to get this working.  Not many MacPro guides, so thought I'd post and save someone some time as well as a few tips to make this really simple and streamlined.

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

-really no issues

-turn off csrutil

-just run purge-wrangler and it works

-cold or hot-plug

Windows 10 installation was a beast.  Tried 1903, then 1809 windows 10 versions and finally got the latter to work. Very finicky, but learned several things to share.  Here's my slimline guide:

1. Download Windows 1809 ISO (it's possible that 1903 will also work as I was able to get it to recognize the card, just had the wrong driver versions on that build)

2. Run Boot Camp Assistant to set up Windows 1809

3. Install Bootcamp standard drivers

4. Edit gpedit.msc in Windows

-turn off automatic updates

-turn off windows defender

5. Run DDU Uninstall in Safe Mode

6. Disable these resources in device manager as was noted by itsage for a previous Mac Pro setup 

1) PCI bus 17, device 10

2) PCI bus 0, device 30

3) PCI slot 4 (bus 21, device 5)

4) PCI bus 21, device 0

Note: PCI Express Root Port 2a and 3a hosted my dGPU and can be disabled if needed, but this worked just fine with both dGPU + eGPU running

7. Boot and hold Option (ALT) for selection

8. Turn on eGPU at OS selection screen

9. Install Bootcamp Radeon 5700 XT drivers 12.2019* (download from bootcampdrivers.com)

Note: The driver version is critical.  You have to use the December 12, 2019 Bootcamp drivers.  Don't worry about other AMD software. It took many days and digging into the older versions to discover that these would work.  Any drivers more recent than this would result in a stop-bang with Error 12 or Error 43.

That's it.  Everything works reliably.  Best to cold-plug and boot, but have hot-plugged as well.

Benchmarks Have not completed, but will update when I can.

Comments

I have not seen any error 12 or 43 and did not need to use an EFI bootloader for large memory allocation.  A final note: With this setup the default display in Windows is the dGPU (which if you uninstalled or disabled will be a windows basic driver).  Whenever you call a program like blender or 3D benchmark, it will often check this device as the primary video device and will usually stall or read an error.  It took me forever to realize that this can remain active with proper drivers and then blender would load properly.  You will also want to set the Display 2 (eGPU) as the only display when running any benchmarks to avoid any slowdown with both monitors active.  Enjoy!

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,4C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@crxport, Good to see more eGPU build with the 2013 Mac Pro! Thank you for the insight on using Dec version of Radeon drivers.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wiejak555
(@wiejak555)

@crxport, I'm interested only in native macOS software - any thoughts on how blender, final cut, premiere pro is now working with that setup?

thanks

13 MBP 2019

ReplyQuote