2013 Mac Pro (FP D300 x2) [3rd,4C,E] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D300 x2) [3rd,4C,E] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 20H2  

of  2
  RSS

AnotherEGPUser
(@anotheregpuser)

Hi everyone!

I have used this homepage to be able to get this working so i thought i would pay back with a build post as the least i could do.

No pictures of the system, but i guess you know how the stuff looks by now anyway Smile

System specs 

2013 MacPro 6,1

3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 

1TB SSD, 

64GB RAM, 

2x AMD FirePro D300

eGPU Hardware 

Razer Core X

AMD VEGA FE 16GB Air

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2 m)

*eGPU connected to one of the lower TB2 ports on the Mac Pro.

MacOS Version

OS 11.1 Big Sur

Mac OS version

Mac Hardware Info

Windows Version

20H2

Windows build

Installation steps

Mac OS

- Followed installation instructions for Purge Wrangler (disable sip etc)

- Run PurgeWrangler without eGPU connected.

- Rebooted and connected eGPU and everything worked.

Windows (Bootcamp)

Most important step to get it to work: Remove everything connected to USB during boot! (see below)

How i did it:

- Boot into windows.

- Run Apple Update tool.

- Run Windows update with option to get all other updated drivers for the system (intel drivers etc)

- Download latest Bootcampdrivers (blue version)

- Run DDU in safemode.

Installation of drivers (Im sure a plain install might work, this was just the way i did it this time)

- Restart and find your eGPU in “Device manager” right click and select your downloaded drivers and install.

- Start Windows with a monitor connected to Mac Pro (as eGPU won’t work until you disable PCI devices + unplug USB (see below), it will have error 12)

- Disable the following in Device manager:

Click: “Show devices by connection”

Be sure to also click on “Show Hidden Devices” otherwise all PCI devices you have to turn off won’t show.

Disable the following:

- PCI bus 21, device 0, function 0

- PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 21, device 5, function 0)

- PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 21, device 6, function 0)

- PCI bus 17, device 10, function 0

Device Manager

Now for the part that was my problem all along to get this to work.

I spent so much time installing/ uninstalling/ Driver versions/ HackFlags/  etc etc etc

I don’t use HackFlags or pci.sys or anything else. 

As i used a USB connected mouse (and the Mac Pro USB “hub” is on the same PCI lanes as the eGPU this blocks the eGPU and gave me error 12) 

See image above where it is: Fresco Logic USB

Startup of Windows to enable eGPU:

You can have the eGPU connected and powered on (i never turn it off)

- Start computer (holding alt key to get to boot menu)

- !! Unplug everything USB (from the Mac Pro) when you get to the boot menu !!

Don't leave any USB hubs connected (that is also a device).

- Select Windows boot drive and start windows (i use Bluetooth keyboard)

(It might work if you have a USB keyboard if you start Windows and quickly disconnect the keyboard if you don’t have a bluetooth one)

- When the eGPU is activated when Windows starts you can plug in your USB devices again.

This will happen without logging in to windows.

I have a monitor that is connected to both the eGPU and the Mac Pro at the same time so i can switch back and forth (if i need to)

After the install i can have my monitor connected only to the eGPU (i just can’t see anything when i have to go through the boot menu)  

I noticed that Radeon Software did not install this way, so i just ran the regular "Install" in Bootcampdrivers after everything worked, it just installed the Radeon software without a reboot.

Performance:

MacOS

Heaven:

Heaven mac

Geekbench:

Mac Open CL
Mac Metal

Cl!ing:

Cl!ing Metal
Cl!ing Open CL

Windows

Heaven (with GPUZ info from the run):

UH Win
GPU Z Heaven windows

Geekbench:

GB Win Open CL
GB Win Vulkan

Radeon Software Version:

Radeon Software 2

Conclusion / Problems:

Windows :

No issues, fantastic performance both in AutoCad, benchmarks and games!

Highly recommended!

Mac OS:

I get the “expected” results in benchmarks but there is something else going on that limits performance.

Using Parallels its just “slower than expected” and not at all as responsive as with a TB3 mac.

With Photo apps (that use eGPU) something “blocks” the performance and causes “micro stutters)

Using Steam and trying games the performance isn’t there.

I tried a TB3 mac mini i5 6 core and i got the same benchmarks but MUCH better actual performance in apps / parallels / games, its almost night and day difference.

There is something going on here that limits performance for sure even though benchmarks are good.

I use Parallels with the AutoCad suite so i needed a big frame buffer, and for that it works well.

So, in my opinion, if you will use eGPU for MacOS don’t go for a TB2/TB3 solution unless you have to (depending on usage case of course).

Have a good day!

2013 Mac Pro (FP D300 x2) [3rd,4C,E] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

Riss, itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@anotheregpuser, Thank you for sharing this build guide! Nice to see the 6,1 is still able to use eGPU in both macOS and Boot Camps with latest versions. Enjoy!

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AnotherEGPUser
(@anotheregpuser)

@itsage, Thank you for your build guides and work that made it possible for me to do it 🙂 

2013 Mac Pro (FP D300 x2) [3rd,4C,E] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kevinpawsey
(@kevinpawsey)

oh my god! thank you SO much for this... you have just stopped me from having to re-ebay my card and egpu enclosure!!

I followed your instructions to the letter, and first time, it worked!... and then I rebooted... and it stopped working.  I found some letters that are missing in your instructions:

[ EDIT: The following two point ARE in the original instructions... I just missed them! 😀 ]

1. In Device Manager, go to View and "Devices by Connection" to get the same view as yours
2. go back to View again, and then click "Show hidden devices"

For some unknown reason, when I looked at my list, I was missing two of the PCI-to-PCI Bridge devices... when I enabled Show Hidden Devices, they appeared!  Disabled them, rebooted... now as solid as a rock!

I also managed to update the graphics drivers to the latest (March 2021) version from BCD... which is something I could never do using the D500, they always crashed with anything apart from the Nov 2019 drivers.

Now it is time to do purge-wrangler.sh on the MacOS side of things (which I know already works, because I already did that, but uninstalled it in a fit of rage before seeing your post!!)... then I can boot to MacOS or Windows using the eGPU...

I <3 my nMP 😛  

My setup varies slightly from @anotheregpuser:

System specs 

2013 MacPro 6,1

2.6GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 

1TB Transcend SSD, 

64GB RAM, 

2x AMD FirePro D500

eGPU Hardware 

Razer Core X Chroma (money-saving tip: check out Amazon Warehouse, I managed to get mine from there for £235, about £100 off!)

AMD XFX RX 580

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Thunderbolt Cable  (2 m)

*eGPU connected to one of the lower TB2 ports on the  Mac Pro . (bottom right in my case)

This post was modified 7 months ago
2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.2.1 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AnotherEGPUser
(@anotheregpuser)

@kevinpawsey, Hello!

Happy I could help you!

The USB thing is something I have never seen anywhere else so really happy that It worked for u!

I had soo much frustration too before I figured it out.

Regarding the missing information (I know there is a lot of text in my post, but it is hidden in there) Smile

Posted by: @anotheregpuser

- Disable the following in Device manager:

Click: “Show devices by connection”

Be sure to also click on “Show Hidden Devices” otherwise all PCI devices you have to turn off won’t show.

Have a nice day!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
kevinpawsey
(@kevinpawsey)

@anotheregpuser, oh my, you are right, sorry about that! lol ... well, if I would have read that properly that would have saved me some time! haha

Thank you for taking the time to do your guide... I will update my build to reflect the fact that you DO say to show hidden devices! haha

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.2.1 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AnotherEGPUser
(@anotheregpuser)

@kevinpawsey, No problems at all!

Im just happy I could help you to get it working 🙂 

ReplyQuote
ralonso
(@ralonso)

@anotheregpuser, YOU ARE A BEAST! 

I can confidently tell you, you have posted the ONLY palpable, simplest solution in all the WEB about Mac 2013 Bootcamp eGPU. 

Can't thank you  enough 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ralonso
(@ralonso)

Hey guys, for some reason, I lost the PCIs mentioned above. They were working before, but when I tried to connect the eGPU to a different thunderbolt Bus, I lost the DISABLED PCis and I cannot see them no more. I’ve reinstalled Bootcamp several times with no success.

Mac Pro 2013 12 Core @2.7, 64Gb RAM, 1T SSD

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
AnotherEGPUser
(@anotheregpuser)

@ralonso, Thank you for your kind words, happy I could help you with your eGPU Smile

Now, why did you go and change ports when you got it working Smile

Remember: The eGPU only works on the 2 lower ports, so if you change ports, you might not see the them, because the eGPU is connected to different PCI lanes (can't test that, don't have the MacPro any more)

Don't know if you have resolved your issues now but my best guess is:

- Put your eGPU back to the lower TB port where it worked.

- Connect your display directly to the MacPro (not eGPU)

- Start your computer and the "missing" PCI bus should come back (must click "Show hidden devices" also in the "View" menu).

If you by accident disabled other PCI devices then specified then you might have to go through "Safe Mode".

If that doesn't work, then maybe a reinstall of windows should do it.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
 of  2