2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 11.2.1  

RSS

fiatlux
(@fiatlux)

System specs

2013 Mac Pro

2x12c Xeon E5 v2 @ 2,7 GHz

64GB 1866MHz ECC DDR3

2xAMD FirePro D500

DIY 27" 5K monitor (iMac enclosure, 5k LG Panel, 5k driver board)

eGPU hardware

Razer Core V2 (additional case fan disabled)

AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Installation steps

purge-wrangler.sh

Benchmarks

Comments 

The eGPU allows me to run my monitor @ 5K 60Hz with a single DP 1.4 connection.

Noticeable speedup in Lightroom Develop module, and in DaVinci Resolve.

This topic was modified 8 months ago
2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 11.2.1 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@fiatlux, Would love to see your DIY 27" 5K monitor and step by step. I'm sure many of us would greatly appreciate being able to power a 5K monitor with a single DP from eGPU. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
fiatlux
(@fiatlux)

It is really not that difficult - you only need to assemble an iMac case, a control board and an LCD panel (the latter two typically found on eBay or Aliexpress). I made it a bit more complex for me as I wanted a VESA arm and not the regular iMac foot.

I did not really record all the steps but I started a thread over on macrumors with some pictures others contributed their own experience: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/diy-5k-monitor-success.2253100/

Note that this exercise, although interesting as a challenge, only makes sense if you really want a 5K/Retina screen on your Mac Pro. If 4K is fine, there are many quality options that will likely be cheaper as well.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 11.2.1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rajdeep_Wasekar
(@rajdeep_wasekar)

Hi

I want to build an gpu for my Mac Pro Late 2013, Can you provide me the guide ? And also does it work flawless ?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Bradley Tangonan
(@bradley_tangonan)

@fiatlux, Would this work with NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti cards?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote