2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Ch...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.2.1 & Win10 20H2  

RSS

kevinpawsey
(@kevinpawsey)

System specs 

2013 MacPro 6,1

2.6GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 

1TB Transcend SSD, 

64GB RAM, 

2x AMD FirePro D500

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X Chroma  (money-saving tip: check out  Amazon  Warehouse, I managed to get mine from there for £235, about £100 off!)

AMD XFX  RX 580

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Thunderbolt Cable   (2 m)

Hardware pictures

not enough posts at the moment... if I get enough posts, I shall come back... of course, that means that I will have to clean my desk up... just imagine a trash can, next to a TV... and a UPS under the desk... (yes... Chroma... lights wasted under the desk... I know!)

Installation steps

Honestly, I just followed @AnotherEGPUser guide here

I don't think that I could write a better article myself... but if anyone wants me to re-write/re-phrase his post, I am more than happy to re-live the trauma (warning: lots of coffee was consumed in the finding of his post!!).

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Will update with benchmarks when I can... right now I need to let the bruising heal from bouncing my head off my desk heal a little before I can run anything on this new-found beast! lol

Comments

Don't give up! ... I almost did... in fact, I ordered a box on ebay in preparation for putting my graphics card back on ebay again (thought it might fetch a few extra pennies in a box!).

From the minimal testing I have performed so far... CaptureOne is MUCH more responsive now, which is great for those editing moments that you think it has applied the curves... so you tweak it some more, and then discover that you have tweaked it too far... not enough... too far... ugh... no more!  Will also be testing PhotoShop, so hopefully that will be seeing a marked improvement, especially for panoramic stitches or focus stacks.

This topic was modified 4 months ago
2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.2.1 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote