late-2013 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS10.12 [addosolutions]^  

RSS

addosolutions
(@addosolutions)
May 2, 2017 2:29 am  

Was successfully able to get this to work on my machine running MacOS.  No BootCamp of any kind.

My Rig:

• Late 2013 Retina MBP 15" with 750M running MacOS Sierra and on 2.6GHz i7
  • Using Akitio Thunder2 Dock (will likely replace this with a thunder3 or Node now that I know the adapter is bidirectional!)
  • EVGA/Nvidia 1070

I basically took the little circuit board completely out of the case, attached a 600W external PSU from a regular desktop computer, and attached that to the GPU.

I am not a gamer but do more with graphics/video so this was an interesting experiment.

I don't have a bunch of time to write up on this, however I can say that this gentleman saved me a BUNCH of time.  Be sure to read the Boot Procedure!  If your mac is not recognizing the device, be sure to read that.  It is not plug and play (for those of us who it was not obvious for):

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-mbp-w-750m-akitio-node-w-980-ti-mac_editor/

1. Run the automatic script

2. Run the EGPU enabler (from the drop-down menu above)

Hit me up with any questions!

Tested applications so far:

• Adobe Illustrator
  • FinalCut ProX
  • Davinci Resolve

What does not work:

• Messages - The messages pane itself is completely black.  I think this is a known issue, but not a huge deal.  When not in clamshell mode you can drag the messages window to your MBP screen and it will work there

UPDATE:

I did finally get an Akitio Node, I posted my findings here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx107016gbps-tb23-akitio-node-macos-addosolutions/

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
omsairam
(@omsairam)
May 2, 2017 10:37 am  

Hi. Can you let me know what is the performance improvement in your video applications.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
addosolutions
(@addosolutions)
May 26, 2017 8:15 pm  

I did not get a chance to do any quality benchmarks, however when I did run things like davinci, the performance increase was pretty ridiculous.

zmas liked
ReplyQuote
Luca1995it
(@luca1995it)
June 26, 2017 10:07 pm  

Hi, I have the 15-inch macbook pro late 2013 with the gt750m and I'm interested in buying one of this to play some games like Civilization IV and others on a 2k external monitor. Travelling often by train to go to the university limits my possibilities of buying a desktop pc.

Is this the best solution for this mac? I've read all your reviews and I've seen the AKiTiO node but I think this is cheaper. Do you know how could it work with a GTX960 half-size? 

Any chance you have one of this to sell?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
Jmlee5
(@jmlee5)
August 14, 2017 1:28 am  

May I ask what is your resolve setup? Are you using resolve studio? Do you have resolve up on your monitors that are connected to your Egpu? Are you running both video cards? I'm using the free version and I do not get any improvement over the 750m, no matter what combination I try. Just want some feedback before I buy a resolve dongle. Thanks in advance!

2013 mbpr 750m - gtx980ti

ReplyQuote