2013 15" MSI GP60 GT740M + GTX [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win8.1 FunkyMonkey  

RSS

FunkyMonkey
(@funkymonkey)
November 22, 2018 2:35 pm  

System specs

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (up to 3.4GHz)
  • Windows 8.1
  • 4GB + 8 GB RAM
  • iGPU: Integrated Graphics 4th Gen
  • dGPU: Nvidia GT 740M
  • 1920*1080 external TV Screen

eGPU hardware

• V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Dock Mini PCI-E AC774
  • Nvidia Geforce 970
  • 500W Power Supply

Hardware pictures

https://imgur.com/a/BQA6NwF <- Some Photos. I broke the cable because I flipped the cable around since my eGPU was always on the right side (stupid idea since soldering it was a pain in the ass and didn't work out for me. So new cable for 20€)

Installation steps

• Remove Backcover of Notebook
  • Remove Wifi-Card from the internal PCI-E-Slot
  • Connect all the cables
    • eGPU needs extra power supply (only from the Beast is not enough)
    • connect eGPU to internal (now free) PCI-E-slot
      • Be carefull with the PCI-E-end of the cable because it tends to break soon if you bend it and let your notebook sit on in it while gaming. I needed to buy a new cable (20€ because I didn't wanted to wait 1 month for the ship from Hongkong to arrive). Look at the pictures for details.
  • Start Windows in UEFI and the eGPU simutanously (no need to use any of the switches of the Beast)
  • Remove old and install newest Nvidia Driver
  • Reboot
  • Celebrate your gaming powerhouse!

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Valley (look at the photos) Score is FullHD, Ultra, Direct3D11, 8xAA: 1859 (without AA Riggs get something like 4500)

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

The experience was great! I could play The Talos Principle on max specs and even Watch Dogs beyond very high settings which my CPU doesn't even meet the minimum requirements.
Lately my notebook dies sometimes while gaming but even on Sims 4. It also appered once without the eGPU attached (if I remember correct!). Maybe it was the already broken PCI-E-cable but I would exclude overheating but I didn't measure it yet.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote