Setup & Software Discussions
2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550)...

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.2 & Win10 [kubzero]  

RSS

kubzero
(@kubzero)

System specs

• Mid 2014 13" MacBook Pro ( Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB)
  • Mojave 10.14.2 
  • 34-inch (2560 x 1440) LG Ultrawide

eGPU hardware

Installation steps OSX

This is easy part of installation here should not appear any problem. Prepare you video card and eGFX, insert video card and insert Thunderbolt 3 to eGFX and connect Thunderbol 2 to it.

1. Open Terminal in osx
  2. Here is the page with script that we will use: ( purge-wrangler )
  3. You need to copy that code and insert that code to Terminal.  
  4. Enter password to Terminal as required.
  5. Reboot your system.
  6. Insert your eGPU Thunderbolt to Macbook.
  7. Log-out from Mojave, log-in.
  8. Enjoy.

Installation steps Windows 10 (bootcamp)

That is quite hard part. So here I am describing three days of tries and errors. Most important things i will mark with bold. So if you will follow that you will reach same result. If you want to run Windows 10 with eGFX do as follows:

1. From osx download Windows 10.iso 
  2. Windows 10 should be version 1511(10586). Other newer version gave to me error 12 (yellow triangle) of lack power. Picture will be attached below. 
  3. Prepare with Boot Camp Assistant installation usb and let Assistant to download all required drivers.
  4. I have sliced with bootcamp for Windows around 60gb from internal ssd storage.
  5. And installed all the drivers with bootcamp driver installator. 
  6. When you have installed everything you need to recognize your video driver.
  7. For recognition use next steps:
  8. Download this file : ( https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/attachments/4/369-applesetosefi.zip )
  9. Go to  ( https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/#post-1458 )
  10. Use instruction as described in USB stick creation procedure and create usb as in instruction.
  11. When usb is ready, turn off your pc. Then turn it on, and hold option button. 
  12. Next step is inserting Thunderbolt cable from eGPU to mac. It should start to spinn fans.
  13. Next choose from menu EFI and mac will load to Windows as usually, but in device controller you should see extra graphic adapter.
  14. Now go to AMD Radeon and download last driver. Driver now (when in device manager is second device recognized) will install easily. After installation restart your pc.
  15. When it reboots now you can use option comant to choose windows 10(i didnt choose EFI anymore, just one for first recognition).
  16. Now all should work like a charm. 
  17. Enjoy.

Comments 

So for the test i have used very fresh game Fallout 76 .
Without egpu i had around 5 frames per second on integrated Iris video card. 
With egpu i had around 60 frames per second with RX580 fully playable.
Very soon i will add more info and pictures.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@kubzero Nice build. I would prefer it if you link to the script page on this forum or Github so that users read through the document there in it's entirety (SIP must be disabled, etc.).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
kubzero
(@kubzero)

@mac_editor , Dear mac_editor, thank for giving some response. Could you please forward what exactly should i change?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@kubzero Change your installation steps for macOS to link to purge-wrangler instead of putting the command. This will ensure people read the pre-requisites for the script, etc. 

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
ivanosh
(@ivanosh)

I have similar MBP and RX580 in Gigabyte Game Box. Will try to downgrade my w10 now.

MBP 13" 2014 macOS 10.14.2&W10(1511), Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580
MBP 15" 2015 Iris Pro macOS 10.14.2&W10(1809), Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580

ReplyQuote
Velvetounger
(@velvetounger)

Hi. New user here. 

I currently travel with a 2014 13" rMBP. Needless to say Premiere Pro is very slow on this machine. I will not be installing Windows, I just want to speed up my render times. Would I still see a performance boost by running your setup under OSX?

Thanks

2014 rMBP with OSX 10.14. 16 GB ram. Travel photographer and Youtuber.

ReplyQuote