Setup & Software Discussions
2014 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + m...

2014 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.14.5 & Win10 1903 [akash4393]  

RSS

akash4393
(@akash4393)

2014 13" Macbook Pro + AMD Vega 64 TB3->TB2 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10(1903)&MacOS10.14.5

System specs (2014 13" Macbook Pro Retina, i5, Intel 5100, MacOS 10.14.5, Windows 10 1903)

eGPU hardware (AKiTiO Node, AMD Vega 64, TB3->TB2, SFX 600 PSU)

Installation steps 
I clean installed MacOS Mojave and started from there.

MacOS:
- Install mojave
- Setup everything and update the OS to 10.14.5
- Use purge-wrangler script for enabling AMD cards 
- And DONE! Everything works. Magic!!

Windows 10:
- Download windows 1903 ISO from Microsoft's website
- Create installation usb drive using BootCamp assistant
- Use another USB drive to create the efi boot media ( https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/) (follow only the USB drive creation section from here)
- Create a partition for windows using Disk Utility
- Follow this guide to install windows using GPT partitioning instead of MBR https://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/
- During the installation of windows, if you get BSOD and then get stuck in a boot loop with a similar error popup on the install screen "something unexpected happened, reboot to continue", then press Shift + F10 to open command line, type regedit and hit enter, in the registry editor navigate to 'Computer/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Setup/Status/ChildCompletion'. In the right panel, find setup.exe and change the value data to 3 (hex) from 1. Restart. Voila!
- Install bootcamp drivers from the usb drive 
- Restart
- On boot, sign in, and then shut down
- Connect eGPU and EFI boot usb drive (Make sure that the default boot OS is windows, boot into macOS to set this, if required)
- Boot holding the Option key
- Select EFI (the one that corresponds to the USB drive, you can verify which option is that by removing and then reconnecting the efi usb drive on this screen)
- Once logged in, launch Device Manager to see that eGPU shows up as Microsoft Basic Video Adapter (or something similar) with an exclamation mark (error 31, I think).
- Download the latest drivers for GPU from AMD's website
- Install drivers and restart (use the efi usb drive for booting)
- Everything should be working now. 

Comments: Getting this thing to work in windows was not easy. It took me multiple reinstalls but I somehow finally got it working. Also, my Akitio Node kept turning off under load, the PSU fan off and PC crash so I decided to replace the PSU with Corsair SFX 600. It should arrive on Friday so looking forward to installing it this weekend. 

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@christopher)

Was the windows install only a pain because you wanted to keep iris pro activated?

I'm looking to get an egpu for the 15" 2014 mbp.

I'm concerned now, is it not just plug install drivers and play on Windows?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote