2013 14" HP ProBook 640 G1 (i5 4210m) + GTX 670 (EXP GDC 8.5c mPCIe) + Win 10  

RSS

Adrian2JZ
(@adrian2jz)
September 9, 2018 12:52 pm  

I was trying to get this setup working for over a month and I killed one EXP GDC mPCIe cable in the process and had to order another one but as I was about to give up due to Error 12 & 43 issues, Setup 1.35 came in clutch and saved me :), thanks @nando4

System specs:
- 2013 14" HP ProBook 640 G1 (i5 4210m, Intel HD 4600 iGPU, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD)

eGPU hardware:
- EVGA GTX 670 2GB
- EXP GDC 8.5c mPCIe
- Dell DA-2 PSU for EXP GDC

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:
1. Prepare your EXP GDC, insert the GPU into it, plug in your DA-2/ATX PSU (if you're usining ATX, make sure you jump it! Green + Black wire and if you're using EXP GDC, you need to set the ATX power to on so your GPU stay's powered without the mPCIe signal) and plug in 6/8pin power into your GPU if it requires, you will need to purchase it separately because it does not come with EXP GDC, make sure not to plug in the HDMI/mPCIe cable into the dock yet, just have it by your side.
2. Prepare your Setup 1.35, get a USB memory stick and plug it in, download Rufus software from here and have your setup 1.35 .img file ready aswell. Open Rufus, it's very straight forward, make sure you select your memory stick and setup 1.35 .img file and start the process.
3. When Rufus is done, download the latest version of Nvidia drivers for your GPU, at the time I'm writing this (09/09/2018) the latest version for GTX 670 is  driver 399.07, I used this one and it worked so if you want to be extra safe, you can use this version or just download the latest one and see if it works. Don't install the driver yet, just have it ready on your desktop.
4. Turn off the laptop and turn it back on, as soon you press the power button, keep pressing ESC key until you enter the setup menu, then press F9 for boot options and select your memory stick from the menu.
5. You will then be inside Setup 1.35 if you did everything correct, select the third option that is "Setup 1.35 menu-based"
6. Press enter to ignore the "eGPU not detected" message, on the right side of the screen you will see all of your devices, there should be three, one empty which is your M.2, second should be your WiFI card and the third is your Ethernet. 
7. Close your laptop, make sure you don't turn it off while you're on that screem, flip it upside down and take off the back cover, it can be done by pulling the right cover tab, sometimes there may be a red screw holding it on. When the cover is off, on the top right coner you will see your WiFi card, unplug the two white wires that go to the WiFI card and then proceed to un-screwing the two screws that hold the WiFi card in place, make sure to not to touch the contacts of the port with your screwdriver as you may short something out, the WiFi card will pop up and you can take it out.
8. Take your EXP GDC HDMI/mPCIe cable, make sure the HDMI connection is not plugged into the dock, insert the mPCIe part into the mPCIe slot where your WiFi card used to be at, then press it down and screw in atleast one screw to hold it in place, you can do the second screw later if you want.
9. When the mPCIe side is plugged into your laptop, plug in the HDMI part into your dock and flip back your laptop and open in, you should still be inside Setup 1.35 so just hit F5 to rescan, if you did everything correctly, on the second port you should now see Nvidia in brackets instead of Atheros.
10. Now go into the first option which is "PCIe Ports" and go down to the bottom to "!Save port" select your p7 port or the port that has Nvidia in brackets. (What this will do is save the port to your memory stick, this way, in the future instead of hotplugging the mPCIe instead of the WiFI card and re-scanning, you can just unplug the HDMI connection at the dock before you boot and then enter Setup 1.35 and plug back in your HDMI connection and go down to the bottom of "PCIe Ports" and click on "Restore port 7" which will restore your eGPU without hotplugging it in.
11. Now you will need to follow this video, to fix the Error 12 & 43 that you will get, the video is right here and you need to follow it from 0:52
12. If you followed the video, you should be booting into Windows 10 right now or already is at the desktop. Now install your Nvidia drivers that you downloaded ealier and click to not restart right now and just shut off your laptop.
13. Unplug the HDMI connection by the dock and turn on your laptop and keep pressing ESC key, when you go into setup menu, press F9 to enter into boot options and select your memory stick, select the third option which is "menu-based", go to "PCIe Ports" and now plug back in your HDMI connection at the dock and go all the way down to "Restore port7", this will restore your eGPU, now go back and into "Chainloader" and select "Test Run" This should boot you back into Windows.
14. Now go into your Device Manager and make sure both your iGPU and eGPU have no errors, if they don't, congrats! You did everything right and now have your eGPU working correctly, you can double check by going to your desktop and right clicking, this should show you the option to enter into Nvidia Control Panel! Remember! You will need to re-do step 13 everytime you turn off your laptop for the eGPU to work, putting the laptop to sleep results into a black screen majority of the time so I don't recommend it, if you don't want to do step 13 every boot, you will need to leave your eGPU and laptop running all the time.

Benchmarks:

Comments:
Repeating step 13 at every boot can get very annoyning but has to be done, anotherwise you will get Error 12 & 43 in device manager and your eGPU will not work. The laptop also has M.2 which I will try and see if eGPU will work with it since I would like to keep my WiFI card since WiFI dongles are not the best. I will be using a generic M.2 dock since M.2 cables and dock from EXP GDC are expensive and overpriced when you compare it to mPCIe version of EXP GDC.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote