2014 15" Dell Inspiron 15 7537 (GT750M) [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE1...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" Dell Inspiron 15 7537 (GT750M) [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [ikhwanul_effendie]  

RSS

Ikhwanul Effendie
(@ikhwanul_effendie)

System specs

• 15.6" Dell Inspiron 15 7537
  • Bios Version A17.
  • Intel Core i7-4500U (2C, 1.80Ghz Boost up to 3.0Ghz).
  • nVidia GeForce GT 750M 2GB
  • 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (Samsung 8GBx2).
  • 15.6" 1920x1080, 141 dpi, IPS panel.
  • 5400RPM 1TB Western Digital Blue, SATA.
  • Windows 10 Home SL (x64) 1909 November 2019 update.

eGPU hardware

• PCE164P-N03 N06 ver, mPCIe
  • PSU: AVF Gaming Extreme Power 650Watt (APS650F12B, Malaysian Market)
  • AVR: APC LS1000-MS, 1000VA Automatic Voltage Regulator
  • External AOC 24G2W1G5 IPS 1080p 75hz 1ms monitor.
  • [Used] Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 580
  • Air-Conditioned room maintained at 24C

Hardware pictures

I was accidentally broke the GPU fans during installation Roll , waiting for fan replacement.

Installation steps

1. Disable all unnecessary option in BIOS, Uninstall nVdia driver.

2. Connect the mPCIE connector to the mPCIe slot under laptop (open the cover first, and uninstall the Wlan card)

The space for the mPCIe connector in this laptop is too narrow, it is just fit the size of the wlan card itself, so I decided to cut (using cutter) some of plastic holder and lift the fan cover little bit to make more space for the USB cable and mPcie connector and screw the connector.

3. Turn on the PSU, make sure the PSU is set in permanently on and powered through AVR, follow this guide.

4. Connect the power (molex/Sata power) and GPU card into PCE164P-N03/N06, connect the DP cable to the GPU card, don't connect the usb to the PCE164P-N03/N06 first.

5. Turn on the laptop and immediately (before the "Dell" logo come out) connect the USB cable to PCE164P-N03/N06.

If I connect the USB before turn on the laptop, the system will won't boot up and stuck in black screen and no input to monitor, even the Dell logo will not come out. If I late to connect the USB, the system will be boot up normally but the graphic card will not detected and no input to the monitor.

6. Install latest Radeon Driver and Software without any error, restart.

7. Using radeon software, Underclock the GPU clock and GPU memory clock by 15%, and reduce the power limit by 15%.

If not underclocked, the GPU (and PSU) will be stopped or suddenly the GPU fan's will run uncontrolled during heavy and long load (example: GTAV, Benchmark) and resulting Blue Screen of Death. I am not sure this problem caused by my cheap and low quality PSU or just my system mPCIe behaviour, because all temperatures are monitored and look fine.

Benchmarks

Comments

This upgrade is very fantastic. Previously using the DGPU (GT 750M) i am not able to play any new game, i only able to play the CS:GO with maximum 28FPS (and sometimes dropped to nearly only 8 FPS), but now everything was changed, I can play GTA 5 with high preset and still having 50~60 FPS and CS:GO with maximum setting and still having 190Fps Maximum and 120 Fps minimum.

I will test this set up for media creation works using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2019, Adobe After Effect CC 2019, Adobe Light Room Classic, and Adobe Photoshop cc 2019.

I planned to upgrade my Harddisk to the SSD as soon as possible.

2014 15" Dell Inspiron 15 7537 (GT750M) [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
azfar999
(@azfar999)

Assalamualaikum, wah terjumpa orang melayu Starry Eyes . Terbaik lah!

I am also going to build eGPU using EXP GDC mPCIe (mobo got mPCIe x1 2.0, 5GT/s) and Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB on my MSI GP60-2OD (i7-4810mq 4cores 2.8ghz base to 3.8ghz boost cpu, GT740M 2gb vram dgpu), soon. Your build instructions, benchmark and review really gives me more clear picture about what i'm going to deal with. Very helpful, Kudos bro!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have some questions:

1) I read that amd gpu needs external monitor to pull this off but i found someone says amd graphic can use internal monitors (laptop screen) with specific ways in here. I really hope you could look into it and have it a go, but needs to buy a HDMI headless ghost dummy dongle. I never knew amd needs external to work as i already bought the RX 580 (2nd btw) and I have no external available right now. So i'm planning to try using headless ghost after i got my psu later on and see how it goes.

Sekarang psu je belum ada lagi untuk mula projek ni haha, tapi kalau bro buat and dapat bagi pandangan review macam mana ok atau tak sudah cukup bagus untuk saya tahu keberkesanan cara guna headless dongle tu. Lagi satu headless dongle tu TAK JUMPA langsung kat kedai lokal di Malaysia, di Lazada Shopee ada cuma from overseas and very cheap.

Posted by: @ikhwanul_effendie

3. Turn on the PSU, make sure the PSU is set in permanently on and powered through AVR, follow this guide.

2) Is AVR compulsory? if i dont have UPS/AVS, is it safe if i just let the PSU be turned on 24/7 when my laptop is turned off (but the extension is on)? One more thing, i dont know much what AVR and UPS are or function as. I will try and read about it later.

5. Turn on the laptop and immediately (before the "Dell" logo come out) connect the USB cable to PCE164P-N03 /N06.

If I connect the USB before turn on the laptop, the system will won't boot up and stuck in black screen and no input to monitor, even the Dell logo will not come out. If I late to connect the USB, the system will be boot up normally but the graphic card will not detected and no input to the monitor.

3) After you successfully installed the egpu, do you disconnect the usb again the next time you want to turned it on or you just turned it on normally?

7. Using radeon software, Underclock the GPU clock and GPU memory clock by 15%, and reduce the power limit by 15%.

If not underclocked, the GPU (and PSU) will be stopped or suddenly the GPU fan's will run uncontrolled during heavy and long load (example: GTAV, Benchmark) and resulting Blue Screen of Death. I am not sure this problem caused by my cheap and low quality PSU or just my system mPCIe behaviour, because all temperatures are monitored and look fine.

4) Have you found the source problem why you need to underclock it? is it caused by psu or mPCIe limitation/behaviour? If you found yourself a solution or others' guide to solve this problem please let me know. Wink I really dont want to underclock my gpu.

5) Macam mana bro turn on kalau laptop tu terlingkup terbalik macam tu haha  Grinning .

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote