2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [Antharsious]  

of  2
  RSS

gabetjh
(@gabetjh)

I am trying to use an external monitor instead. Do you connect the monitor do the eGPU or to the laptop (HDMI-HDMI)?

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

The monitor has to be connected directly to the Akitio Thunder2 (eGPU) for maximising performances.

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gabetjh
(@gabetjh)

what monitor are you using? my monitor is not displaying very well. fonts are not smooth etc. apparently there's some issue in relation to displays and retina screens. the brightness can't be changed too right?

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

I use an old monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200 Smile

Brightness can be changed but only manually, I mean on the monitor itself. What do you mean with "in relation to displays and retina screen"?

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

If Tomb Raider or Rise of the Tomb Raider periodically crash in heavy fight sequences, try to disable turboboost. This solved the problem for me. Smile

More information about turboboost issues and performance in this thread:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-gaming/impact-of-turboboost-on-performance/

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

I finally upgraded my Mac OS partition to High Sierra. I can confirm that this build (with Bootcamp) is working well after the upgrade. You will only have to "reinstall" rEFInd...

I also take advantage of this post to publish some new benchmarks. I wanted at first to create a large list of benchmarks, but this is really time consuming and makes little sense to test games released years ago. From now on, I won't publish any news regarding benchmarks but directly edit the main post with new games performance tests 😉

gabetjh liked
ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

I can confirm that the Fall Creators Update is working very well with this build. Installing this update may help if you encounter issues with drivers of your graphic card like I did...

I also recommend to install EasyUEFI on the Windows side, because Windows tends to reset itself as the default boot program. It is very easy to configure and make this build even more stable :

https://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html

https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/bootcoup.html

ReplyQuote
RobRauff
(@robrauff)

@antharsious

Hi antharsious,

I was wondering if this build is still viable? I am currently running

• Mid 2014 15″ MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display (2880x1800)
    • Mojave 10.14.6 
    • Windows 10 via Bootcamp (w/ latest updates)
    • Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    • 2.2GHz i7-4770HQ
    • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    • 250 GB HD

I have the Akito Thunderbolt 2 case already and the Dell 220W DA-2, i was going to purchase the GPU and Cable and basically just plug and play. I am just looking for an update to this build to see if it is still viable in todays market.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2