2014 15" HP ZBook 15 G2 + R9 [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win 10 Enterprise [Yukikaze]^ // AMD XConnect  

RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 25, 2017 3:54 am  

Our IT department were kind enough to upgrade me to Win10, even though my laptop is not on the upgrade list at this time.

Here is the link to the original setup.

Here's how the Win10 eGPU setup went:

1) My iGPU is disabled in the BIOS (I had this disabled since it caused issues for me on Win8.1, and I did not try to enable it here since I do not care for it).

2) I booted up Win10 with the eGPU disconnected.

3) I connected the Thunderbolt cable and a "Base Device" appeared in my Device Manager. That is the Thunderbolt controller, and Win10 fails to install a driver for it automatically.

4) I had to install the following to get my Thunderbolt controller working: Thunderbolt Secure Connect Utility. The installation would not run for me (opened a console window that immediately closed), so I ran the HP installer to un-package the actual installation files, then executed the "Thunderbolt Software.msi" installer in compatibility mode (Right click -> Properties ->Compatibility Tab) for a "Previous version of Windows." At this point the installation executed and completed.

5) The Thunderbolt Software ran and detected the Thunder2. I chose to let it connect always, so I would not have to go through this pop-up every time I connect the eGPU.

5) I installed the latest AMD driver and everything was working. XConnect works as well, allowing me to eject my eGPU gracefully without powering down the system. If I am on the desktop (in other words, not running a game), I can even yank out the TB2 cable with no warning without BSoDing. The effect is the same as disconnecting a monitor, all open windows migrate to the second screen running off the K2100M.

Overall, the issue with the Thunderbolt Software refusing to install aside, this is pretty much painless.

I ran 3DMark TimeSpy to check for DX12 performance (which I was unable to do on Win8.1).

Benchmark Overall Score Graphics Score eGPU loss relative to desktop
ZBook+eGPU Core i7 4770 Desktop
+ R9 Fury
ZBook+eGPU Core i7 4770 Desktop
+ R9 Fury
Overall Score
 Graphics Score
3DMark TimeSpy 4,124 4,767 4,351 4,919 13.4% 11.5%

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

3RYL, goalque and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
April 3, 2017 7:41 pm  

Adding some detail about the behavior of the video card if it is unplugged spontaneously:

If I disconnect the card (or power it down) without removing it safely via the AMD tray icon, the system does not crash. All I get is the HW unplugged sound, the eGPU's monitor goes to sleep and applications not using the eGPU are gracefully moved to a display running off the dGPU. Applications running on the eGPU are terminated. No other ill effects happen. Reconnecting the eGPU works without fail as the card is immediately detected, the driver loads, the AMD tray application indicates that "External AMD Graphics" have been connected and I run programs on the eGPU again.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

3RYL and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 3, 2017 8:46 pm  

Hi Yukikaze, what you describing is the expected behavior.

if you have internal NVIDIA card enabled, then in order to use eGPU you must connect a display directly to AMD GPU and set that display as primary (just extending is not enough). Then any application you launch, will run on AMD eGPU.

By the way, with the driver you have Microsoft Office apps will not get terminated on unplug - they will just move to the laptop's screen

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
April 3, 2017 9:17 pm  

The same behaviour with the Mid 2015 15" MBP (M370X), Windows 10 Boot Camp + AMD eGPU. AMD XConnect accelerated internal display option seems to be possible only when iGPU is activated. Alternatively, you can drag the app from the eGPU screen that is set as the primary.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
April 3, 2017 9:40 pm  
Posted by: Sky11

Hi Yukikaze, what you describing is the expected behavior.

if you have internal NVIDIA card enabled, then in order to use eGPU you must connect a display directly to AMD GPU and set that display as primary (just extending is not enough). Then any application you launch, will run on AMD eGPU.

By the way, with the driver you have Microsoft Office apps will not get terminated on unplug - they will just move to the laptop's screen

Oh, I am aware that it is likely the intended behavior, it is just on the Win8.1 version of the same setup, removing the eGPU without a warning would typically lead to a BSoD, so it is nice to see it working on Win10 even over TB2, so I just wanted to let everyone know that XConnect works with my Thunderbolt2 setup. I indeed run a K2100M dGPU, and the external monitor(s) are hooked up to the eGPU.

goalque, my iGPU is disabled by BIOS, so I don't need to have the iGPU running for XConnect to work on the ZBook G2.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 4, 2017 3:57 pm  

XConnect is only supported on Windows 10 (and beyond). There are reasons for that - the OS itself has to be up to the sniff.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
April 4, 2017 4:42 pm  

XConnect is only supported on Windows 10 (and beyond). There are reasons for that - the OS itself has to be up to the sniff.

Yes. XConnect is also only supposed to work on TB3, as Thunderbolt3 port is listed in the requirements. So it is interesting that it works with TB2.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 4, 2017 5:16 pm  
Posted by: Yukikaze

Yes. XConnect is also only supposed to work on TB3, as Thunderbolt3 port is listed in the requirements. So it is interesting that it works with TB2.

Correct. TBT2 is enabled on purpose for enthusiast crowd :), but official support will require also official validation which requires additional resources... and all the new laptops are going to have only TBT3 - so eGPU enclosures as well.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
April 4, 2017 5:26 pm  

Correct. TBT2 is enabled on purpose for enthusiast crowd :), but official support will require also official validation which requires additional resources... and all the new laptops are going to have only TBT3 - so eGPU enclosures as well.

Sky11, do you happen to work for AMD? 🙂

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
April 4, 2017 5:39 pm  

Except pre-2014 Macs, correct? They don't support hot-plugging.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 5, 2017 6:13 am  
Posted by: Yukikaze

Oh, I am aware that it is likely the intended behavior, it is just on the Win8.1 version of the same setup, removing the eGPU without a warning would typically lead to a BSoD, so it is nice to see it working on Win10 even over TB2, so I just wanted to let everyone know that XConnect works with my Thunderbolt2 setup. I indeed run a K2100M dGPU, and the external monitor(s) are hooked up to the eGPU.

goalque, my iGPU is disabled by BIOS, so I don't need to have the iGPU running for XConnect to work on the ZBook G2.

Yukikaze, you make a point of AMD XConnect activating on your Win10 dGPU+eGPU (no iGPU) ZBook with reference to the hotplugging feature working. Usually the big attraction to XConnect is an eGPU accelerated internal LCD mode. Have you done any benchmarks that may show your NVidia-attached internal LCD is being accelerated by your AMD eGPU? If so, that would be a huge advantage to AMD as NVidia Optimus will only accelerated iGPU-attached internal LCDs.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
April 5, 2017 6:55 am  
Posted by: nando4

Yukikaze, you make a point of AMD XConnect activating on your Win10 dGPU+eGPU (no iGPU) ZBook with reference to the hotplugging feature working. Usually the big attraction to XConnect is an eGPU accelerated internal LCD mode. Have you done any benchmarks that may show your NVidia-attached internal LCD is being accelerated by your AMD eGPU? If so, that would be a huge advantage to AMD as NVidia Optimus will only accelerated iGPU-attached internal LCDs.

If there is no monitor attached to the eGPU, then the AMD driver doesn't quite function: For example, the AMD Radeon Settings application will not start. That leads to be believe anything running on the internal will run off the K2100M, and the eGPU is only functional when it has an external monitor attached (unless I re-enable my iGPU, disable the dGPU and then try to run the "usual" internal monitor acceleration way).

3RYL and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote