2014 15" HP ZBook 15 G2 + R9 [email protected] (Mantiz Venus via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + Win 10 Enterprise [Yukikaze] // AMD XConnect  

RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
June 13, 2017 11:39 pm  

This is exactly the same setup as outlined here, but the Thunder2 has been replaced with a Mantiz TB3 board (the same one as used for the Mantiz Venus enclosures). Everything else remains completely the same. The TB3 board is connected via a 1m TB cable (the one that came with the Thunder2) and an Apple TB3 to TB adapter.

This has been a completely plug-and-play transition. I have removed the R9 Fury from the Thunder2, and placed it on the Mantiz Venus board. All other connections have remained exactly the same. Once everything was powered up, the Thunderbolt software immediately picked up a "TUL, DSL6540C" Thunderbolt device and asked me if it should allow it to connect. Once I allowed it to connect, the AMD XConnect popup immediately notified my that an eGPU has been enabled. All external monitors were picked up at their defaults and enabled as well. MSI Afterburner successfully applied overclock settings and fan speed configuration.

All I need to do now is design myself a custom housing for the TB3 board, and I can go ahead and sell off one of my Thunder2 enclosures.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

3RYL, nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
June 14, 2017 6:46 am  

Very good news. The the third example of attaching a cost effective TB2/TB1 candidate notebooks to a plug'n'play TB3 eGPU enclosures via the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter.   The confirmations now across three different vendors (Asus, Lenovo and HP) so we can say it's valid across the entire TB1/TB2 spectrum, so long as the TB3 enclosure has an updated firmware.

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter=%22%3EA%20Win%22

ZBook G2 systems particularly attractive given their high performance i7-quad CPU, PCIe SSD option, superb build quality and high gamut LCD displays.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
June 14, 2017 6:48 am  

I've seen the G2 ZBooks for around 350-400$ on ebay. Which is a steal for these machines. Makes for a very attractive option if people are willing to buy used.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

3RYL and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
June 14, 2017 7:07 am  

Yes, this being a very attractive eGPU middle ground. Significantly more performance than EC2, considerably less cost than a TB3 notebook but still with a TB3 enclosure for future proofing.

Worth noting too that with TB3 being throttled down to 22Gbps by Intel we see TB2 being 60% of TB3 performance (H2D 1259MiB/s vs 2123MiB/s here) rather than 50% which we may believe.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
3RYL
 3RYL
(@3ryl)
Eminent Member
October 26, 2017 6:59 pm  
Posted by: Yukikaze

This is exactly the same setup as outlined here

Hey. Would you know if the Z15's Z-Turbo drive M.2 slot is whitelisted or can it be used for an eGPU?
I have seen the WWAN slot is whitelisted but I did not find much about the SSD slot

Chimera ~ 2011 15" Dell Vostro 3550 HD6630M + [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) +Win7
My adapter models for eGPU case projects

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
October 26, 2017 7:35 pm  
Posted by: 3RYL
Posted by: Yukikaze

This is exactly the same setup as outlined here

Hey. Would you know if the Z15's Z-Turbo drive M.2 slot is whitelisted or can it be used for an eGPU?
I have seen the WWAN slot is whitelisted but I did not find much about the SSD slot

I fear I have no idea. I've only used Expresscard and TB2 on the ZBook G2 and TB3 on the ZBook G4, so I do not know if there is a whitelist for the SSD m.2 slot.

ReplyQuote