Setup & Software Discussions
2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Break...

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [GamesOnMacBookPro]  

RSS

GamesOnMacBookPro
(@gamesonmacbookpro)
Eminent Member

System specs:

• MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2014  “MacBookPro11,3”
  • 2.5GHz Quad Core (I7-4870HQ) - with Turbo Boost 2.0 (up to 3.7 GHz for this model) 
  • 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • GeForce GT 750M with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM dGPU
  • Intel Iris Pro 5200 with 128 MB iGPU
  • 512GB SSD (Internal) / 500GB Samsung SSD (External)
  • Win 10, version 1909

eGPU hardware:

Installation steps Windows 10 (bootcamp):

• Boot into Windows 10
  • Download and install latest AMD drivers
  • Plug in eGPU into power supply, external monitor, and into the MBP
  • Reboot
  • It is all plug-and-play

Hardware pictures:

Gameplay Recording  setup/process:

• Using Bandicam software to record gameplays
  • Youtube 1080p default settings used. 
  • Please note that I lost 5~10 fps while recording depends on the game. 

Comments / Issues:

• I have CPU over-heating problem. While playing games + recording, my CPU temp hits 100C. 
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

MacBook Pro: Intel Core i7-4870HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD (Internal), GeForce GT 750M (disabled), 500GB Samsung SSD (External)
eGPU setup: eGFX Breakaway Box, MSI Armor Radeon RX 580 8G, Driver: 19.9.2

Latest games' performance videos:

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@interestingdood)

@gamesonmacbookpro

Hey I see that you're using an external SSD. Are you using that to boot windows to it? I just recently changed my SSD to an SSD NVME and learned that I am unable to bootcamp because of that. I just wanted to see if it was still fast booting windows and playing games with an external SSD.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
GamesOnMacBookPro
(@gamesonmacbookpro)
Eminent Member

@interestingdood

No, My bootcamp windows is still running on internal SSD. I am using external SSD for just installing games etc. 

MacBook Pro: Intel Core i7-4870HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD (Internal), GeForce GT 750M (disabled), 500GB Samsung SSD (External)
eGPU setup: eGFX Breakaway Box, MSI Armor Radeon RX 580 8G, Driver: 19.9.2

Latest games' performance videos:

ReplyQuote
(@jesper_birch_carlsen)

Hello.

What did you do in terms of disabling your dGPU in Windows 10? I am planning to do a similar build but I only want to take advantage of the eGPU in Win10, and use the MacBook (with dGPU) normally in MacOS. In MacOS I will not need to connect the eGPU.

Is there a way to get what I described above without comprosing anything on MacOS?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote