2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS10.13.3&Win10 [Fuze911]  

RSS

fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
February 28, 2018 10:11 pm  

Hi all! Here is my previous build: Fuze911's 1050ti eGPU Build Guide Tons of how-to's and info in there. I will be using it as reference in this build.

I wanted a bit more gaming power so I threw in a MSI AERO GTX1060 6GB card. It was plug and play from my 1050ti build above. 

For work

For play

Fitment

It's a tight fit with the MSI AERO 1060 6GB with dual fans! I had to make a custom connector to get things to close. 

Current parts list

• Mid 2014 15″ MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display (2880x1800)
    • High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D47)
    • Windows 10 via Bootcamp (w/ latest updates)
    • Nvidia GT750M + Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    • 2.8GHz i7-4980HQ
    • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    • 1TB SSD

For installation instructions please refer to my previous build link at the top of this guide!

Gaming

Games Tested on Windows 10

• Wolfenstein: The New Colossus 
  • Doom
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Shadow Warrior 2
  • Cuphead
  • Hand of Fate 2
  • Project Cars 2
  • Titanfall 2
  • Battlefield 1
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Monster Energy Supercross
  • Fortnite
  • Unreal Tournament (latest)
  • Dirt 4 (has issues)
    • Runs at 15fps regardless of settings or monitor(s). Not sure what the issue is yet. Worked perfect with 1050ti though
  • Counter Strike: GO (has issues)
    • Can only see about 1/4 of the screen regardless of settings or monitor(s)
  • Carmageddon Max Damage
  • MXGP Pro
  • Antigraviator

Games Tested on Mac OSX

• Diablo 3
  • Grid Autosport
  • Worms W.M.D. (had issues/fixed)
    • Can only see about 1/4 of the screen regardless of settings or monitor(s)
      • FIXED - Right click on game icon > Get Info > Check "Open in Low Resolution" (plays in full resolution)
  • Counter Strike: GO (has issues)
    • Doesn't use eGPU for graphics (internal screen or monitor)
    • Mouse clicks require 2 mouse presses making shooting impossible
  • Fortnite (has issues)
    • Doesn't use eGPU for graphics (internal screen or monitor)

How To:
Clean install 10.13.6 + Restore all files and settings from previous Time Machine Backup + EFI Hybrid v1.0.3.

With my setup, it has been hard to update OS X since 10.13.3. My hurdle was always ending up in a black screen with apple logo and full load bar with no response from any inputs. I have tried several methods and several scripts along with clean installs and updates with no success. However, I have finally found one that works. I have recreated it twice now so I'm confident it works.

Follow the steps below to get your setup running on a fresh install of 10.13.6 or if you want to update your OS to 10.13.6 and get your files and settings back from a Time Machine backup.

To achieve this, we will use the Hybrid EFI USB method thanks to @goalque. To make this work, you will need a USB drive (2GB+) to boot. After booting, it can be removed if you need the USB port.

1. (If you want to keep your files and settings from your current setup) Back up your computer via Time Machine
  2. Unplug eGPU from machine
  3. Boot into Recovery by holding Command + R
  4. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and select "Erase" on the hard drive you would like to use. Note: This will delete all files on selected hard drive!
  5. Exit Disk Utility and Select Install Mac OS X from the main menu
  6. Once up and running, open the App Store and check for Updates. If there are updates, install them.
  7. Reboot into Recovery by holding Command + R
  8. Disable SIP by navigating to Utilities and selecting Terminal
  9. Enter the following into Terminal: csrutil disable; reboot
  10. Plug in eGPU
  11. Unzip and open Automate eGPU EFI v1.0.3. Grab a copy here:  https://cdn.egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/automate-eGPU-EFI-v1.0.3.pkg_.zip
  12. Follow the instructions in the installer. Select your USB drive, unplug eGPU, select Hybrid, and install newest drivers when asked via the installer
  13. Shutdown your machine
  14. Plug in eGPU, the USB you just created, and the Time Machine Backup from step 1 (Optional).
  15. Boot your machine while holding Option. Select EFI Boot

At this point, you should have a running 10.13.6 install and a working eGPU. Check the status under System Report. If you want to get your files back from Time Machine, follow these steps:

1. Open Migration Assistant and go through the wizard to restore all files, settings, etc from your Time Machine
  2. Boot into Recovery by holding Command + R
  3. Remove all the previous Nvidia files by navigating to Utilities and selecting Terminal.
  4. Type the following into Terminal, one line at a time: 
    1. # v="/Volumes/Macintosh HD"
    2. # cd "$v"/Library/Extensions
    3. # rm -rf GeForce*
    4. # rm -rf NVDA*
    5. # touch .
    6. # cd "$v"/System/Library/Extensions
    7. # rm -rf GeForce*Web*
    8. # touch .
    9. # kextcache -u "$v"
    10. # csrutil disable; shutdown
  5. Reboot. Note: this may take longer than usual
  6. Plug in eGPU and open Automate eGPU EFI v1.0.3.
  7. Follow the instructions in the installer once more. Select your USB drive, unplug eGPU, select Hybrid, and install newest drivers when asked via the installer
  8. Shutdown your machine
  9. Plug in eGPU, the USB you just created, and the Time Machine Backup from step 1 (Optional).
  10. Boot your machine while holding Option. Select EFI Boot

You should now boot into a 10.13.6 machine with all of your previous settings and apps installed. Check System Report to confirm your eGPU is working correctly. 

NOTE: if your machine will not POST after plugging I the eGPU, hold your power button until the machine powers off and try again. It may take 2 or 3 tried to POST and hear the chime. 

Huge thanks to @goalque

You can use a partition instead of the USB drive you created in the above steps. If you want to eliminate the use of USB drive, follow the above steps followed by the steps below.

1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Select your main drive and click "Partition"
  3. Name your partition something like "EGPU BOOT", format to FAT, and give it 1GB of space. (the files are very small, around 1MB, but it doesn't hurt to have bit more space than needed)
  4. Partition the drive.
  5. Navigate to your EFI BOOT USB and copy all of the files.
  6. Paste the files onto your new "EGPU BOOT" partition.

Now when you go to boot your machine while holding alt, you will no longer need to have the USB in to boot to EFI BOOT. 🙂

2014 15" MBP GT750M // EVGA GTX 1050 Ti // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.2 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod
2014 15" MBP GT750M // MSI AERO GTX1060 6GB // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.6 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
March 6, 2018 4:12 pm  

Hmm. Edit doesn't seem to work. In the meantime, ill post as a reply. 

Tried another game on OSX, "Worms W.M.D.". Was only able to see 1/4 of the screen just like I have experienced in Windows.

To fix this I was able to right click on game icon > get info > check "Open in Low Resolution". Game opened in 1440 and 60hz. Worked flawlessly. Wonder if I can do something similar in Windows to fix CS GO! 

2014 15" MBP GT750M // EVGA GTX 1050 Ti // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.2 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod
2014 15" MBP GT750M // MSI AERO GTX1060 6GB // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.6 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 6, 2018 4:44 pm  

@fuze911 , this is due to a forum software upgrade with you still loading local CSS cache. Please hit CTRL-F5 to load the newest CSS from eGPU.io, then retry editting.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
March 6, 2018 5:21 pm  

Interestingly enough, I'm having more issues with the 1060 6gb running some games than the 1050ti.

Anyone experiencing issues with Counter Stike: GO launching properly in either OS?

ReplyQuote
JDiggyDawg
(@jdiggydawg)
March 22, 2018 6:31 pm  

I currently have the same MBP and Apple Display with a Gigabyte Aorus 1080. What's the success rate on using that adapter on the external monitor to get it connected to the eGPU? I've been reading everywhere that it's not supposed to work and am pleasantly surprised to see it working for someone.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
June 22, 2018 6:12 pm  

I've had the itch lately to update Mac OSX to the latest since I'm 2 versions behind at the moment with 10.13.3. However, haven't been able to get the set up to work. I've run various scripts I've found here and even manually downloading and installing everything just like I previously have with no luck. Sometimes I get infinite boot, sometimes black screens. Either way, I've abandoned that idea for now. 

I also noticed an issue with my Thunder 2 enclosure. Sometimes, during gaming the system would crash in Windows and I would get a "Driver Failed to Start" message. Re-installing the Nvidia drivers or a fresh restart would remedy the issue. However, it started to happen more and more. Eventually, I couldn't even boot windows. I thought it was software related but after a few days I noticed it was actually the barrel plug!

The barrel plug would get hot and actually cracked the solder for the positive lead on the board. After soldering it back on, the issue went away but after a few days it was back again. This time, it was the plug itself. The barrel plug on the Kareon Cable has melted a bit on the inside. After doing some reading I have found that its not too uncommon and some people buy a higher quality barrel plug in its place. I decided to bypass it entirely. Here is what I did:

Using my Kareon Cable, I lobbed off the melted barrel plug and soldered the wires right to the back of board.

Here is the still functional barrel connector and the soldered bypass.

Here is what the enclosure looks like at the moment with out the card.

Here it is stuffed to the brim!

Heres how it looks when its plugged in and ready.

It's been a few days with testing, benchmarks, and gaming. No issues yet. Also, with the "Swiss Cheesed" enclosure, I'm getting temps in the low 60s with and overclock and 1440p gaming. NOT BAD. 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions. 

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
July 20, 2018 5:54 pm  

How To:
Clean install 10.13.6 + Restore all files and settings from previous Time Machine Backup + EFI Hybrid v1.0.3.

With my setup, it has been hard to update OS X since 10.13.3. My hurdle was always ending up in a black screen with apple logo and full load bar with no response from any inputs. I have tried several methods and several scripts along with clean installs and updates with no success. However, I have finally found one that works. I have recreated it twice now so I'm confident it works.

Follow the steps below to get your setup running on a fresh install of 10.13.6 or if you want to update your OS to 10.13.6 and get your files and settings back from a Time Machine backup.

To achieve this, we will use the Hybrid EFI USB method thanks to @goalque. To make this work, you will need a USB drive (2GB+) to boot. After booting, it can be removed if you need the USB port.

1. (If you want to keep your files and settings from your current setup) Back up your computer via Time Machine
  2. Unplug eGPU from machine
  3. Boot into Recovery by holding Command + R
  4. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and select "Erase" on the hard drive you would like to use. Note: This will delete all files on selected hard drive!
  5. Exit Disk Utility and Select Install Mac OS X from the main menu
  6. Once up and running, open the App Store and check for Updates. If there are updates, install them.
  7. Reboot into Recovery by holding Command + R
  8. Disable SIP by navigating to Utilities and selecting Terminal
  9. Enter the following into Terminal: csrutil disable; reboot
  10. Plug in eGPU
  11. Unzip and open Automate eGPU EFI v1.0.3. Grab a copy here:  https://cdn.egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/automate-eGPU-EFI-v1.0.3.pkg_.zip
  12. Follow the instructions in the installer. Select your USB drive, unplug eGPU, select Hybrid, and install newest drivers when asked via the installer
  13. Shutdown your machine
  14. Plug in eGPU, the USB you just created, and the Time Machine Backup from step 1 (Optional).
  15. Boot your machine while holding Option. Select EFI Boot

At this point, you should have a running 10.13.6 install and a working eGPU. Check the status under System Report. If you want to get your files back from Time Machine, follow these steps:

1. Open Migration Assistant and go through the wizard to restore all files, settings, etc from your Time Machine
  2. Boot into Recovery by holding Command + R
  3. Remove all the previous Nvidia files by navigating to Utilities and selecting Terminal.
  4. Type the following into Terminal, one line at a time: 
    1. # v="/Volumes/Macintosh HD"
    2. # cd "$v"/Library/Extensions
    3. # rm -rf GeForce*
    4. # rm -rf NVDA*
    5. # touch .
    6. # cd "$v"/System/Library/Extensions
    7. # rm -rf GeForce*Web*
    8. # touch .
    9. # kextcache -u "$v"
    10. # csrutil disable; shutdown
  5. Reboot. Note: this may take longer than usual
  6. Plug in eGPU and open Automate eGPU EFI v1.0.3.
  7. Follow the instructions in the installer once more. Select your USB drive, unplug eGPU, select Hybrid, and install newest drivers when asked via the installer
  8. Shutdown your machine
  9. Plug in eGPU, the USB you just created, and the Time Machine Backup from step 1 (Optional).
  10. Boot your machine while holding Option. Select EFI Boot

You should now boot into a 10.13.6 machine with all of your previous settings and apps installed. Check System Report to confirm your eGPU is working correctly. 

NOTE: if your machine will not POST after plugging I the eGPU, hold your power button until the machine powers off and try again. It may take 2 or 3 tried to POST and hear the chime. 

Huge thanks to @goalque

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
July 20, 2018 7:54 pm  

@fuze911 I've used @goalque's EFI app and it doesn't require so many steps (at all) - it usually just works. Also, I've used my own script (I have the same mac) and it has worked every single time. Your removal steps can be dangerous for most to execute and users may by chance delete original drivers. One can use webdriver.sh to easily remove Web Drivers (it does not require a package to do so, and does it cleanly and manually - basically all your steps and more). Then, to clean the system, just installing on top of an existing installation usually does the job. Final steps would be SMC and NVRAM reset to be in a completely clean state. Script backup files, etc. don't interfere if present. From here, any of the available solutions would do the job. Nonetheless, happy to hear success from another 750M user 👍

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
July 21, 2018 2:08 am  
Posted by: mac_editor

@fuze911 I've used @goalque's EFI app and it doesn't require so many steps (at all) - it usually just works. Also, I've used my own script (I have the same mac) and it has worked every single time. Your removal steps can be dangerous for most to execute and users may by chance delete original drivers. One can use webdriver.sh to easily remove Web Drivers (it does not require a package to do so, and does it cleanly and manually - basically all your steps and more). Then, to clean the system, just installing on top of an existing installation usually does the job. Final steps would be SMC and NVRAM reset to be in a completely clean state. Script backup files, etc. don't interfere if present. From here, any of the available solutions would do the job. Nonetheless, happy to hear success from another 750M user 👍

Thanks for your reply @mac_editor. I tried so many times and could never get it work before doing the above steps. 🙁 I've tried your script(s) several times on different versions as well with no luck. Missed workdays trying even. Always ended up on a black screen with apple logo and load bar going to end so I could never run any apps or scripts outside of Recovery. Wonder what I was doing wrong...

I'm really happy its working. Just wanted to share with anyone else in the same boat. Hopefully, my steps don't cause issues for anyone.

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
July 27, 2018 5:07 pm  

Great find today! I was trying to reduce the amount of USB dongles/cables I had plugged into my system and I wanted to try to get EFI BOOT onto a partition so I no longer have to use a USB drive to boot my Mac with my eGPU. Here is how:

1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Select your main drive and click "Partition"
  3. Name your partition something like "EGPU BOOT", format to FAT, and give it 1GB of space. (the files are very small, around 1MB, but it doesn't hurt to have bit more space than needed)
  4. Partition the drive
  5. Navigate to your EFI BOOT USB and copy all of the files.
  6. Paste the files on your new EGPU BOOT partition.

Now when you go to boot holding alt, you will no longer need to have the USB in your machine to boot to EFI BOOT. 🙂

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
August 3, 2018 5:45 pm  

Took some photos of my updated setup with the new Noctua fans. Running them at 3,000 rpm adds a bit more noise, but got the setup about 3-5 degrees cooler under stress. Not much, but a decent, fun upgrade for very little cost. Im also running a much more aggressive overclock without any compromise or heat. 🙂

I bypassed the board with the fan connections and wired up a splitter directly to the 12v from the Dell DA-2. 😉

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Trusted Member
December 8, 2018 12:57 am  
Posted by: [email protected]

Working on a new front cover for the Thunder 2. I want those noctuas breathin! Ill post the STL if anyone would like to 3D print their own.

yes indeed. this is great! you might want to add this would work on node lite too as they are the same case ( i think). it's such an ideal size enclosure that it's nice to have some good mod options like the ones you have detailed here. do you have any regrets on the size of the largest cut hole on the thunder2 casing? maybe could be smaller and not much temp difference?

edit: did you cover how to wire the splitter directly to the 12v on the dell da-2? I was wondering how you got the additional fan in there and how it is mounted.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
December 8, 2018 6:44 pm  

Thank you! Im working on covers for the side and tops as well. So once I have those complete and printed as a test, I will add all the files and photos. 🙂

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member
December 8, 2018 6:47 pm  
Posted by: esatamacmodular

do you have any regrets on the size of the largest cut hole on the thunder2 casing? maybe could be smaller and not much temp difference?

No not at all. The temps have been amazing after this mod. A grill to match that front grill will be perfect.

Posted by: esatamacmodular

did you cover how to wire the splitter directly to the 12v on the dell da-2? I was wondering how you got the additional fan in there and how it is mounted.

Yes, I added a how to for this in my sig. I have two additional fans running this way and it's working great.

ReplyQuote