2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (Mantiz Venus via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.2 [rotarymac]  

rotarymac
(@rotarymac)
January 12, 2018 1:25 am  

System specs  (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

• Mid 2014 15" Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM
  • Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
  • MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 build 17C205 (Jan 10, 2017 after spectre & meltdown patch)
  • Encrypted APFS filesystem (Filevault)

eGPU hardware  (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

• Mantiz Venus - space grey
  • Gigabyte 970 GV-N970WF3OC-4GD 
  • Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter 
  • Apple TB2 cable
  • 2x 23-inch DELL U2312HM Display @ 1920 x 1080

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. Or can link from say  http://imgur.com  )

I don't have enough posts yet to include these. 

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

In general I followed the steps from  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/1/ guide

• I got the latest webdrivers at the time: Nvidia Webdriver v378 . 10 . 10 . 10 . 25 . 104 (current latest version)
  • I downloaded the latest kext patch at the time which was: 4316-NVDAEGPUSupport-v4-SU
  1. Make sure SIP is enabled on your system & eGPU is ready to go but not plugged into system
  2. Install the Nvidia webdriver + restart
  3. boot recovery mode (command + r) -> run: csrutil enable --without kext + restart
  4. Install the kext patch 4316-NVDAEGPUSupport-v4-SU + restart
  5. Enter password to decrypt harddrive
    1. Almost as soon as decryption process begins plug in your TB2 cable which is connected to your eGPU enclosure
      1. This will cause decryption to take longer but you should clearly hear your eGPU spin up
  6. You external screens should now show up with your login page

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 eGPU bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley3dmark, etc noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Don't have enough posts to include pics yet.

CUDA-Z: I tried out CUDA-Z but got an error saying CUDA not found. This is probably because I haven't installed separate CUDA drivers?

AIDA64: Doesn't seem to exist for MacOS

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming?)

Current benefits

• I've saved is not having to plug 2 DisplayPort monitors into my laptop, just 1 Thunderbolt2 now (they were hot-swappable before)
  • My USB phone charging cable can now be plugged into eGPU

Things that don't work:

• Unplugging eGPU while result in kernal panic (restarts machine)
  • Closing laptop screen will not result in internal monitoring turning off
  • Cannot restart machine without first unplugging the eGPU (get black screen everywhere)

Future benefits

• Will try out SteamVR and HTC Vive with this setup (on MacOS)
  • Keyboard & mouse will eventually be plugged into eGPU
  • I will be added a lower resolution 23-inch monitor to make the total monitor count 5 (1x internal, 2x 1080P, 1x 720P, 1x HTC Vive)

Once I actually do these future benefit items I'll move them to the current benefit list. Once I have link and picture posting benefits I'll update this post with more info 

Things I would like to improve

• Hot swapping is the most important missing feature right now
  • Easier method to plugin eGPU enclosure (sometimes doesn't work first attempt)
  • Be able to close the lid on my laptop to have the internal monitor disappear/sleep
    • This would make a better docking solution and ensure all displays are using eGPU

So far the main thing I lost is that I cannot just pickup my laptop and go. I need to close all of my apps + shutdown to unplug my laptop. I'm one of those guys who uses all of his 16GB of RAM with tons of opens chrome, firefox, and safari tabs as well as tons of open apps. I'll have docker for mac and other VMs possibly running in the background. This means I have messed up my workflow. I cannot just get back those tabs after restart since I tend to open 95% of tabs in incognito mode (i hate annoying browser history auto-complete).  

Edited: 5 months  ago

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Markham941
(@markham941)
February 19, 2018 5:10 am  

Nice implementation write-up!

I was curious to know if you updated to OS 10.13.3?  

and if so how is the setup holding up?

ReplyQuote
bklounge
(@bklounge)
April 24, 2018 6:40 pm  

Question about USB support on your eGPU enclosure. Since you're using a TB2 > TB3 adapter, do the USB ports still function on the Venus? If so, do they function at USB 3.0 speeds? Wondering since I was hoping to use it as a USB hub for keyboard/mouse/UHS-II sdcard reader. Thanks

ReplyQuote