2014 Mac Mini + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13BETA & Win10 [GuruNightmare]^  

RSS

Guru Nightmare
(@gurunightmare)
July 24, 2017 12:57 am  

My setup: late 2014 Mac Mini i7 16GB 2TB Fusion Drive running High Sierra beta + Akitio Node + TB3->TB2 adapter + MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G & Samsung 2333HD monitor.

Works great on OSX and Windows 10 Pro (via Bootcamp). Framerate: 60/70ps on High/Ultra settings.

The low down: I boot as usual (on HDMI), hotplug the Akitio, logout and log in again on OSX to enable the egpu (on DVI). On Windows, instead of logging out I reboot.

Minor bug: I get a black screen on DVI after exiting games (ex: nms), but if I plug HDMI after I get a "secundary screen" mode, usable but unable to run applications (problably mirrored somewhere else).

More info? Please comment or msg me.

Ps: NMS and Walking Titan made me buy the whole thing!

I was able to double the benchmark scores tweaking Tessellation, V-Sync...

Mac rules!

Mac Mini Late 2014 + MSI Radeon RX580 Gaming X [email protected]>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

lampie, goalque, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 24, 2017 5:17 am  

Gurunightmare, was there any additional requirements to get bootcamp going? eg: running 'automate-egpu.sh -a', installing UEFI or MBR Windows? Any specific way of attaching the TB2 cable during boot (hotplugging). Any error 12 experienced on the eGPU and if so, what was done to correct it?

Pics to bring it all to life are most welcome.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Guru Nightmare
(@gurunightmare)
July 24, 2017 11:07 am  

Hi Nando! Thanx for your question.

If done correctly, the whole process may take 20/30min to work. In my case, it took a few hours due to trial and error.

1) No eGpu was detected before I installed the Thunderbolt drivers from TB website. Then I installed MSI RS 580 drivers over the Internet (MSI include drivers on DVD but no DVD drive here). After install both drivers asked for updates - not even sure which ones I have now.

2) I didn't use the script and figured out the reboot operation works for Windows by myself, but on one occasion, due to waiting, Win10 even asked me to reboot to use the new found device. On reboot, after the windows splash screen, it turns off the HDMI output on Mac and enables the DVI on the eGpu (I assume it disables the iGpu for the rest of the session).

3) No script, no UEFI, no MBR hassle, no error 12 and no firmware update on the Akitio too.

4) As for the hotplug, I turn on the Mac and the Akitio at the same time but unconnected (on the Akitio, the TB3->TB2 adapter is always attached to the TB2 cabble). Then, I just let the desired operating system to boot completely and connect the TB2 cabble to the Mac. On OSX no sound nor notification shows up so I logout and login again. On Windows I get a system sound and an icon on the notifications tray, then I reboot the system.

Either way, amazing results! One exception I got a black screen after 15min playing NMS with ultra settings - eGpu high temperature maybe?! Got back to High settings again and no more problems. 

Oh, and now, I suppose due to cold shutdown after the black screens I'm getting an error 43 on OSX.

Cheers!

Mac Mini Late 2014 + MSI Radeon RX580 Gaming X [email protected]>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
lampie
(@lampie)
August 12, 2017 6:34 pm  

Worked perfectly.  I didn't have to troubleshoot anything using Windows 10 bootcamp.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
garinfly
(@garinfly)
November 29, 2017 12:20 am  

Hi,Gurunightmare,My setup: late 2014 Mac Mini  running High 10.13.1 + Akitio Node + TB3->TB2 adapter + Radeon RX 570 4G & dell monitor.I use mac's Mini DisplayPort connect monitors' DisplayPort and RX 570'HDMI connect monitors' HDMI at same time, when i reboot the mac, after the windows logo splash screen, the DisplayPort was no signaling, the HDMI was no signaling too.I'm not sure any error existed.

When I used your method:As for the hotplug, I turn on the Mac and the Akitio at the same time but unconnected (on the Akitio, the TB3->TB2 adapter is always attached to the TB2 cabble). Then, I just let the desired operating system to boot completely and connect the TB2 cabble to the Mac. On OSX no sound nor notification shows up so I logout and login again. On Windows I get a system sound and an icon on the notifications tray, then I reboot the system. Error 12 appear!!!

Please help me,thank you very much

Best wishes for you````

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Guru Nightmare
(@gurunightmare)
December 26, 2017 6:09 pm  

Congratulations Lampie!

ReplyQuote
Guru Nightmare
(@gurunightmare)
December 26, 2017 6:15 pm  

Hi Garinfly,

Have you got it right by now?

I found out that it works best if the Thunderbolt cable is connected to the Thunderbolt port right next to the HDMI port on the Mac (don´t know why).

Also, by changing the HDMI connections on the TV makes it longer for Windows to determine which monitor I´m using... I get a black screen for minutes only to come alive after some keystrokes.

I've stopped Windows Update alltogether as frequently I would have to reinstall the graphics driver. BTW, update the MSI driver from the website to the latest available.

Hope it comes out okay 4 you.

cheers

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
March 21, 2018 2:21 pm  

Hey @gurunightmare
would you be able to tell me whether Adobo Photoshop sees the AMD card with out any issues in MacOS?

ReplyQuote
Guru Nightmare
(@gurunightmare)
July 12, 2018 12:30 pm  

Hi, @dream3

Sorry, for the late reply!

I don't use AP, just Gimp and it works fine (as with the rest). Did it help?

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Guru Nightmare
(@gurunightmare)
July 12, 2018 12:37 pm  

- MOJAVE UPDATE - 

eGpu keeps working fine with Mojave beta, using PurgeWrangler and I fix Code 12 on Win10 by disabling some pci ports.

I´ve attached the new Unigine Valley benchmark. 

ReplyQuote