2014 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X)...

Notifications
Clear all
  RSS

Adun
 Adun
(@adun)

System specs

• Model: 2014 15" MacBook
  • CPU: i7-4770HQ 2.2Ghz
  • iGPU: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200
  • dGPU: not applicable
  • RAM: 16GB
  • OS used for eGPU: Windows 10 (BootCamp)
  • hunderbolt 2

eGPU hardware

Installation steps

There was a lot I have been doing before making it work, but the end it came down to just a few steps that mattered (verified when OS died):

The main difficulty I had was that hot plug did not work me (maybe I was not doing it right, but I tried many time).

DDU was not really required as well, probable because there is no dGPU.

Comments

(!) Only boot into Windows through USB flash if eGPU is plugged. Forgetting doing that resulted in Windows dying completely (I had no recovery point).

Sorry, no benchmarks, however this setups runs much better than my old Alienware m17x R3.

Hope it helps anyone.

This topic was modified 7 months ago
2014 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
So_Handsome
(@so_handsome)

@adun, hi, i also tried to use Razer Core X, but I cannot boot my macbook pro 15” 2013 late with Razer Core X (with GTX 1060) plugged in. What did u do to make it successfully boot into Windows?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Adun
 Adun
(@adun)

@so_handsome, have you set up a USB drive to boot from?

2014 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
So_Handsome
(@so_handsome)

@adun, hi, sorry, just got time to reply. Yeah, i did it with both automate-egpu and apple-set-os.efi. But, how do you even reach there? I mean, when I boot up my macbook pro, I should press “option” key right? To select the efi boot from usb. But if I plugged it and turn on the Razer Core X before boot, I cannot even reach the boot selection. Can you tell me in detail what exactly did u do to make it boot?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Adun
 Adun
(@adun)

@so_handsome, this is strange and should not be the case. Your Windows is on BootCamp, right?

In my case, even Mac OS boots without problem with Razer Core X plugged in. And yes, boot menu is called with holding Options key right from the startup - also no issues getting to that menu.

Do you reach boot menu when TB is not plugged? If yes, and if you plug it then and select EFI boot - does it work?

ReplyQuote
So_Handsome
(@so_handsome)

@adun, I haven’t tried to boot Mac OS with it. But, I have tried hotplug after Mac OS reach the main screen. It detects Core X and the graphic card like “VGA Compatible Graphic Card” in the system information of Mac OS. 

and yeah, without plugged in, I was able to reach boot menu. It only freeze if I plugging in the Core X and turn it on before booting up my macbook pro.

I have tried reaching the boot menu 1st then turn on Core X, then plugged it in. But after I plugged it in. It freezes instantly. 

I also tried plugging in the Core X without the graphic card. It successfully boot into windows and windows detected Thunderbolt in the Device Manager. It only hangs if I put my graphic card in the Core X. I’m starting to wonder if my graphic card is not supported.

My current graphic card is EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC.

btw what version is your firmware?

ReplyQuote
Adun
 Adun
(@adun)

@so_handsome, this is very strange.

I have actually sold the mac a month ago, so I cannot tell you the OS version. However I remember that there are some extra steps one needs to do starting from a certain version (I think Sierra), and it wasn't my case. Have you tried looking it up?

As far as I understand GTX 1060 should be totally compatible with Razer Core X, most likely it's something else. Would have helped if you had another non-apple laptop to test though.

Also I am not sure if you have dGPU - there are some extra steps there as well, yet even if that's the case your problem seems to be different.

Overall, I am not sure, what to say... I didn't have this issue.

ReplyQuote
GamingMadeStrange
(@gamingmadestrange)

Boot security stops loading from external devices.  

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote