2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO N...

Notifications

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12 [mac_editor]  

of  2
  RSS

goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Good digging, one of the first willing to understand the script 🙂 This property dictates Thunderbolt controller's behaviour in the early boot stage.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: goalque

Good digging, one of the first willing to understand the script 🙂 This property dictates Thunderbolt controller's behaviour in the early boot stage.

Haha well your script sure does a lot of things and for someone who hadn't seen a unix script before - it can be certainly daunting. My interest stems from accomplishing something similar for the dGPU - except it holds throughout system boot.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Yep, we're not all programmers. You mentioned the -a mode was a "hit-or-miss" for you. Have you checked that the nvram value stays as "<00>" before a new reboot?

Without the -a mode's daemon (service), the value gets corrupted and is no longer workable on the next boot. Rewriting it on every startup keeps it valid.

--

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Yep, we're not all programmers. You mentioned the -a mode was a "hit-or-miss" for you. Have you checked that the nvram value stays as "<00>" before a new reboot?

Without the -a mode's daemon (service), the value gets corrupted and is no longer workable on the next boot. Rewriting it on every startup keeps it valid.

Well, when I had the NVIDIA GPU to test with, I was quite ignorant of the changes the script made anyway, so I only thought in terms of "it worked" and "oh it didn't" so never quite got around to looking so deep. Hence the rather informal description of the experience. Also, at that point I never even knew exactly what "nvram" was.

On another note, would you happen to know why the values are reset/removed? This is also the case with the gpu-power-prefs trick that boots iGPU-only (gpu-switch) - except unless dGPU drivers aren't present. I'm sure you must have pondered over that before coming up with the next best scenario of using a daemon to rewrite the value every boot/shutdown.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Nvram values are just data to assist firmware with the booting process.

Tbt-options dates back to the 2011 and the first version of the Thunderbolt interface. It is one of the properties of Intel's TB controller and changes the key TBTDPLowToHigh accordingly. Only Apple & Intel engineers know its purpose. When set to <00>, your Thunderbolt devices become invisible on startup - as if you have nothing plugged in.

Recent Macs don't have this value in the firmware and the EFI can do what it likes. I don't know better workaround than rewriting the value. It's not 100% perfect but works pretty well.

--

ReplyQuote
sharky_dog
(@sharky_dog)

Hi all, wondering if anyone has tested disabling dGPU in Windows, and seeing if maybe the macbook behaves like a non-dGPU model?

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/354vw8/howto_enabling_the_intel_iris_in_bootcamp_650m750m/

Like others here, I'm very interested in getting an NVIDIA 10xx-based eGPU setup working with our 15" 750m/650m-based rMBPs.  In particular, that exciting new Aorus 1070-based Gaming Box 😀

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Many of us have successfully done it. Take a look at my apple_set_os.efi thread.

What do you mean by disabling the dGPU?

--

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: sharky_dog

Hi all, wondering if anyone has tested disabling dGPU in Windows, and seeing if maybe the macbook behaves like a non-dGPU model?

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/354vw8/howto_enabling_the_intel_iris_in_bootcamp_650m750m/

Like others here, I'm very interested in getting an NVIDIA 10xx-based eGPU setup working with our 15" 750m/650m-based rMBPs.  In particular, that exciting new Aorus 1070-based Gaming Box 😀

There is a way to disable the dGPU in Windows - it should be somewhere on the thread. Regardless, I was in your boat with the 980 Ti and so far there is no way to get them working on Windows with a TB3 enclosure.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

This concerns only a TB3 enclosure, 750M equipped MBP, and Windows 10 combination?

Yes, there is a way to completely power off the dGPU in UEFI Shell but I don't know how it would help with the POST issue with an Nvidia card. POST happens earlier.

--

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

This concerns only a TB3 enclosure, 750M equipped MBP, and Windows 10 combination?

Yes, there is a way to completely power off the dGPU in UEFI Shell but I don't know how it would help with the POST issue with an Nvidia card. POST happens earlier.

Yep: NVIDIA eGPU (9xx or later) + TB3 enclosure + 750M MBP + Win (Any) = Never works.

Powering off the dGPU does not help with POST nor detection - speaking from having tried all of these workarounds.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hi Guys,

So, I can confirm that having run the automateGPU script with the -a argument it does indeed enable warm reboots with the Mantiz attached every time. A poke for the nvram setting returns the <00> flag as expected. 

However, the same cannot be said for cold boots. If the eGPU is  attached when starting from shut down, the issue persists; no boot process on internal display and no energising of externally attached monitor either. This is only fixed by another full shut down, detachment of the eGPU and then a reboot with attaching the TB2 cable immediately after Apple Logo display (as explained previously by yourselves).

Any thoughts? Could this be down to the Venus having an SSD installed? Is it fixable or should I live with it?

Hypernurd

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

TB3 enclosures such as Mantiz Venus, equipped with additional ports are problematic in the POST stage if you have a MBP with the dGPU.

Another problem with the 750M model is its TB firmware that doesn't support hot-plugging like a Mid 2015 15" (M370X). So you cannot use tbt-options workaround on Windows - the eGPU will never appear in device manager.

The only possible workaround might be keeping the TB cable plugged in from the beginning, and the delay GPU's PCIe x16 slot connection but this requires precise timing and special equipment. You can also try "hot-plugging" the 4-pin connector of the Node if you're sure what you are doing.

--

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hmm. I think I will live with it. Sorry for replying on this thread...its a bit off-topic as my set-up is;

Mantiz Venus with SanDisk II SSD, Mid-2015 Retina (370X), TB2/TB3 adaptor, MSI 1080TI, Mac OS 10.12.16

Hypernurd.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@hypernurd: The good news is that your Mid 2015 15" MBP supports hot plugging so the tbt-options is beneficial on Windows. I recall you should use the other TB port, not the same as with the Akitio Node, gpu-switch and apple_set_os.efi.

--

ReplyQuote
sharky_dog
(@sharky_dog)

1. Posted by: mac_editor

Yep: NVIDIA eGPU (9xx or later) + TB3 enclosure + 750M MBP + Win (Any) = Never works.

Powering off the dGPU does not help with POST nor detection - speaking from having tried all of these workarounds.

Thanks mac_editor and goalque for clarifying.  

Seems this is a tough nut to crack.  Looks like I'll settle for getting a Node + Vega 56, instead of the great Aorus box 🙁

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tangxii
(@tangxii)

Hey mac_editor

thanks to this post.It helps me a lot.

I used the -a model

and it works perfectly,reboot with node connected.

my equipment:

late-2013 15"macbook pro with 750m-----AkiTio Node via TB3>TB2     macOS Sierra10.12.6

ReplyQuote
cccid
(@cccid)

Hi Mac_editor,

any chances of us (mid2014 rmbp /w 750m users) activating eGPU on High Sierra nowadays?

I am running mine smoothly on Sierra but waiting for the chance to upgrade.

thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: cccid

Hi Mac_editor,

any chances of us (mid2014 rmbp /w 750m users) activating eGPU on High Sierra nowadays?

I am running mine smoothly on Sierra but waiting for the chance to upgrade.

thanks 🙂

NVIDIA eGPU may work in High Sierra with NVIDIAEGPUSupport by @yifanlu. Of course, the POST issue and no-go on windows will still be present. What is your current configuration?

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
cccid
(@cccid)

i m running (Mid2014 rmbp /w 750m) on 10.12.6,  <TB2-TB3 adapter> to Akitio Node , on a 980Ti hybrid.

Gaming and Benchmarks are fine, but recently it starts to crashes on my Adobe Premier whenever i drag a media file to the timeline. So i was wondering to see if move to High Sierra could perhaps make the problem go away.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: cccid

i m running (Mid2014 rmbp /w 750m) on 10.12.6,  <TB2-TB3 adapter> to Akitio Node , on a 980Ti hybrid.

Gaming and Benchmarks are fine, but recently it starts to crashes on my Adobe Premier whenever i drag a media file to the timeline. So i was wondering to see if move to High Sierra could perhaps make the problem go away.

I can't say how things will pan out on High Sierra on Premiere. Do note that it is not even guaranteed that your eGPU setup will work properly in High Sierra. Your current setup, in terms of external graphics, is the most stable on this Mac model. Did you update Premiere (after which you started noticing problems, etc.), or was it an OS/security update?

In any case, my prime suggestion to you would be to cleanly uninstall Premiere (removing plists, caches, etc.), reinstall, and try again. I believe Adobe apps provide an uninstaller. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
avj
 avj
(@avj)

hey, guess I've missed this line "Yep: NVIDIA eGPU (9xx or later) + TB3 enclosure + 750M MBP + Win (Any) = Never works." mac_editor, thanks a lot for testing, sharing and for this thread. It seems that in order to use nvidia egpu 1080 under bootcamp I have to use a TB2 enclosure with my 750m mid-2014 rMBP. I still haven't bought any enclosure, but buying a tb2 is a bummer, I couldn't use half of its power when eventually replacing my mbp.
so in the mean time, how about this: Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box with Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB Card

it comes with the sonnet 350W which is TB3 and an AMD nice card (tb3 to tb2 and a cable).
should this work with win10 under bootcamp?

MBPr Mid 2014, dGPU: Nvidia750M ■ Sonnet eGFX 350 ■ AMD RX 580 8gb ■ TB3-TB2 adapter ■ Dell U2518d ■ high sierra 10.13.5

ReplyQuote
(@georgios_lachanas)

mac_editor

@mac_editor

Thanks for your post!

I'm one of the "unlucky" (concerning egpu) owners of macbook pro 15 mid 2014 with 750m..It's a couple of months i was thinking the idea of egpu but it's only now i tried to learn what i need to buy etc..so this forum seems the right place!

I'm only interested for egpu(with nvidia due to cuda) in macos (Sierra for now) to use with premiere pro mainly and small percent with davinci resolve..

I own an nvidia 960 4gb ..so i was thinking to buy the Akitio Node,thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and thunderbolt 2 cable..

Should i pull the trigger?

Thanks!

MBP 15" with Nvidia 750m (mid2014) + Razer Core X +Apple TB3 adapter+Apple TB2 cable+Nvidia 1070Ti 8gb+LG Ultrawide Monitor via HDMI ,MACOS 10.13.6 (17G4015),Web drivers 387.10.10.10.40.113, Cuda version 410.130

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: avj

hey, guess I've missed this line "Yep: NVIDIA eGPU (9xx or later) + TB3 enclosure + 750M MBP + Win (Any) = Never works." mac_editor, thanks a lot for testing, sharing and for this thread. It seems that in order to use nvidia egpu 1080 under bootcamp I have to use a TB2 enclosure with my 750m mid-2014 rMBP. I still haven't bought any enclosure, but buying a tb2 is a bummer, I couldn't use half of its power when eventually replacing my mbp.
so in the mean time, how about this: Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box with Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB Card

it comes with the sonnet 350W which is TB3 and an AMD nice card (tb3 to tb2 and a cable).
should this work with win10 under bootcamp?

AMD cards do work well on Windows with our Mac model in most cases. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

avj liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Georgios Lachanas

mac_editor

@mac_editor

Thanks for your post!

I'm one of the "unlucky" (concerning egpu) owners of macbook pro 15 mid 2014 with 750m..It's a couple of months i was thinking the idea of egpu but it's only now i tried to learn what i need to buy etc..so this forum seems the right place!

I'm only interested for egpu(with nvidia due to cuda) in macos (Sierra for now) to use with premiere pro mainly and small percent with davinci resolve..

I own an nvidia 960 4gb ..so i was thinking to buy the Akitio Node,thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and thunderbolt 2 cable..

Should i pull the trigger?

Thanks!

Don’t know why I’m not getting emails for this thread...

If you’re only concerned with macOS Sierra, any eGPU goes. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Updated the original guide to make it significantly more concise and provide information regarding macOS High Sierra support.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
(@shelton_dsouza)

@mac_editor @goalque
I think I am facing a similar issue where the GPU is not detected and have tried all possible combinations.
My setup is:

• Thunderbolt 3 enclosure
  • NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti
  • Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
  • Thunderbolt 2 Cable
  • Early 2015 MacBook Pro : 10.13.3

I have used the webdriver.sh script to install the latest web drivers and the EGPU enabler pkg nvidia-egpu-v7.zip

Please let me know if I can try out a few other things. Thanks a lot for your help!

ReplyQuote
avj
 avj
(@avj)

@mac_editor

does any of the new methods help us with the 750m dgpu? I got quite lost in the progress so not sure if we are still locked to AMD+TB3 eGpu or TB2+gtx980

can I use the TB3 eGpu with my mbp for gtx 1080 (on win/on os x)?

MBPr Mid 2014, dGPU: Nvidia750M ■ Sonnet eGFX 350 ■ AMD RX 580 8gb ■ TB3-TB2 adapter ■ Dell U2518d ■ high sierra 10.13.5

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@avj As of macOS 10.13.4, both AMD and NVIDIA eGPU are supported with correct mods on macOS. As for Windows, only AMD GPUs are detected.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

avj liked
ReplyQuote
avj
 avj
(@avj)

@mac_editor  😀 by saying "both AMD and NVIDIA eGPU are supported with correct mods on macOS" do you mean this setup should work with my TB3 enclosure, or just with TB2 enclosures? 

about windows "As for Windows, only AMD GPUs are detected" just wondering, shouldn't it be easier to hack windows? 

also, I really need the power of eGpu right now and my workflow is Cinema 4D and after effects. AE uses CUDA, and C4D has its somewhat new AMD ProRender engine. Any suggestions of what GPU to choose right now?
again, so many thanks 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@avj Either enclosure works for macOS (for nvidia eGPU need to plug in immediately after EFI is done with its thing). On windows, TB3 enclosure + NVIDIA eGPU (9xx or later) does not work (won't be able to see device). A PERST delay may work - but there has yet to be someone running such a setup viably. AMD works best for this mac (until 10.12.6, and esp. for Windows). It has problems on High Sierra. Basically this mac sucks for eGPUs. Much of this has been discussed in great length on multiple posts here - try looking through them.

As of now, my advice would be:

- AMD eGPU -> works on both OSes, needs annoying hack (purge-nvda) on macOS High Sierra - optimal setup with Sierra
- NVIDIA eGPU -> works only on macOS (but can work on Windows with variable success rate if enclosure is TB2)

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

avj liked
ReplyQuote
salazartherin
(@salazartherin)

Do you think this setup is going to work when I use the AMD RX580 gaming box? I tried everything before with the Nvidia 1070 gaming box but could not get it to work (which you have confirmed also). I lost money while reselling that gaming box. Now I'm thinking of purchasing the AMD gaming box instead. But I want to do proper research this time.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@salazartherin Really sorry to hear that you lost money reselling. Ideally, try aiming for a purchase with a decent return policy.

Do you want eGPU for macOS, Windows or both?

Best config. for this Mac for both OSes according to what I think:

1. Sierra + Windows + AMD eGPU -> super-easy and clean
  2. High Sierra + Windows + AMD eGPU -> not as clean on macOS end (see purge-nvda.sh and its limitations in my signature) but works fine for the most part

If only macOS needed, both eGPUs on High Sierra have their own caveats - NVIDIA needs timed-plugin, while AMD needs an extra patch to disable dGPU. Sierra + AMD best, but then being on older OS may not be preferable (especially if you're a developer).

If only Windows is needed, AMD eGPU recommended, or if you really need CUDA, don't plan on upgrading to a new Mac soon, then NVIDIA + TB2 enclosure with variable success rate.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
salazartherin
(@salazartherin)

Posted by: mac_editor

@salazartherin Really sorry to hear that you lost money reselling. Ideally, try aiming for a purchase with a decent return policy.

Do you want eGPU for macOS, Windows or both?

Best config. for this Mac for both OSes according to what I think:

1. Sierra + Windows + AMD eGPU -> super-easy and clean
  2. High Sierra + Windows + AMD eGPU -> not as clean on macOS end (see purge-nvda.sh and its limitations in my signature) but works fine for the most part

If only macOS needed, both eGPUs on High Sierra have their own caveats - NVIDIA needs timed-plugin, while AMD needs an extra patch to disable dGPU. Sierra + AMD best, but then being on older OS may not be preferable (especially if you're a developer).

If only Windows is needed, AMD eGPU recommended, or if you really need CUDA, don't plan on upgrading to a new Mac soon, then NVIDIA + TB2 enclosure with variable success rate.

Usually I make purchases for electronics from used websites like ebay-kleinanzeigen (in Germany) so there is no return policy involved.

Sorry I forgot to mention the OS. I need it only for Windowns on bootcamp. I just realized that I asked this on your wrong setup page (Nvidia). My question was more about the AMD setup on your other page (RX480). I already read that you recommend an AMD eGPU for windows on this setup and it's encouraging to know that the setup has worked for you with the RX480. I just wanted to make sure if it will also work with a different AMD eGPU (RX580). Thanks for the quick reply and your setup guides. They are really helpful. I will now buy the RX580 and post the results.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@salazartherin I see.

I can only vouch for the setup I've seen and used myself, so what I can confirm is that the RX480 4GB as well as RX580 4GB worked for me. Others have reported success with the 580, but you'll have to look through the threads on the forum for that I guess. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
(@georgios_lachanas)

Finally pulled the trigger to give it a try..Node pro arrived and waiting for 1070ti and TB3 to TB2 adapter..Intending to use it with my mid2014+750m on 10.13.6 and external display via 1070ti hdmi.
@mac_editor Is your first post still applicable ? Or should I perform any other steps?Thanks!

MBP 15" with Nvidia 750m (mid2014) + Razer Core X +Apple TB3 adapter+Apple TB2 cable+Nvidia 1070Ti 8gb+LG Ultrawide Monitor via HDMI ,MACOS 10.13.6 (17G4015),Web drivers 387.10.10.10.40.113, Cuda version 410.130

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor , About this POST Issue. I have a 13-inch 2015 MPB with TB2->TB3 which runs perfectly with an nVidia eGPU except: You cannot boot. It's stays absolutely black, no chime, whatsoever. Nothing happens until I unplug the eGPU.

I have to hot-plug the eGPU during boot with the exact timing.

Is this exactly the POST Issue? Is it confirmed to hit the 13-inch Early 2015 MPB, too? If yes, I would like to try some things in order to solve this problem.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
 of  2