2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO N...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12 [mac_editor]  

of  8
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: hypernurd

Hi @mac_editor,

Thanks for your response.

I do hear the startup chime on reboot but leaving the eGPU connected results in the same issue. Everything powers down as it should (inc the eGPU and attached display), but it never reaches the Apple logo - just an energised black (almost) screen on the internal and nothing on the eGPU attached monitor.

I might try the -a argument on the install if you think it'll work, but given that fact that I hear the chime I'm not sure if it will. 

Thanks again. 

Hypernurd

So it isn't the POST problem. Thanks for trying it out. Booting verbosely (hold CMD + V and boot) may reveal some interesting tidbits with what's going on.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hi @mac_editor,

I had a go at your NVRam hack. No dice I'm afraid 🙁

My setup;

MBP 15" Mid-2015 Retina, dGPU (AMD 370x), Mantiz Venus (via TB2 adaptor), GTX1080Ti.

Hypernurd

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hi,

I'll give the Verbose boot a go. Good idea.

Hypernurd

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@hypernurd: Thanks for trying the nvram hack ;p - I doubt it would be applicable in your case given you aren't facing the POST problem. Please let me know if the error you see in verbose boot is something like: IOConsoleUsers: gIOLockState 3.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hi,

I tried the CMD-V boot. Of course, it didn't show me an output of the boot sequence because it doesn't energise the internal display - presumably due to the same issue; i.e. eGPU connected. 

I tried disconnecting the eGPU from a cold start with the key combo down and this did give me an output but as one doesn't see the Apple Logo its impossible to know when to jack in. I gauged it as best I could. What's interesting is that the unit did boot to display the login once I did this but no image on the external. So the Verbose process either bypassed something or I was too late in attempting to connect the eGPU (most likely). 

I can try again. Does the Verbose output get written anywhere that I can share with you? Console/System.log or such like?

Thank you for assisting me with this Smile

Hypernurd

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: hypernurd

Hi,

I tried the CMD-V boot. Of course, it didn't show me an output of the boot sequence because it doesn't energise the internal display - presumably due to the same issue; i.e. eGPU connected. 

I tried disconnecting the eGPU from a cold start with the key combo down and this did give me an output but as one doesn't see the Apple Logo its impossible to know when to jack in. I gauged it as best I could. What's interesting is that the unit did boot to display the login once I did this but no image on the external. So the Verbose process either bypassed something or I was too late in attempting to connect the eGPU (most likely). 

I can try again. Does the Verbose output get written anywhere that I can share with you? Console/System.log or such like?

Thank you for assisting me with this Smile

Hypernurd

Well, since the boot did not show any output, I doubt logs will help. This is odd. Check out this implementation here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2015-15-macbook-pro-m370x-gtx1080ti-16gbps-tb2-akitio-node-via-tb3-tb-adapter-macoswin10/

No complaints about this boot issue. Seems like a Mantiz Venus thing then? I have absolutely zero knowledge about the Venus and its firmware so can't say much for it except it is the only differing component in your system vs. the guide (and probably the GPU vendor). Maybe verify if you have the latest firmware on the enclosure?

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hi mac_editor,

I'll contact @fiddy and see if they too have the POST issue. If not, then it would appear to be the Mantiz (possibly f/ware although this is a new unit). It could also be my MBP - I've done all sorts to it over the time I've had it but I would have thought the PMU and PRAM reset would have rectified any gremlins and the clean install did nothing to improve the situation. 

Hmm....

Hypernurd

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

I have a little request for people with the following config:

• 2013/14 750M MBP
  • TB3 Enclosure
  • NVIDIA 9xx or later eGPU

I presume you encounter the POST issue on boot and require either using -a mode in the script or timing the hot plug, otherwise it hangs. Essentially any Mac combo facing this issue will do. Could you test booting after executing the following command in Terminal:

sudo nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

If it works, the effect should last one boot only. Please let me know if it resolves the issue or not. Also note that while in effect, automatic graphics switching does not work.

Hi mac_editor,

My specs: MBP 15' late 2013 (750m) + Akitio Node + TB3->TB2 cable + GTX1070.

When uninstalling automate eGPU and reinstalling with -m flag (so no -a), and then running your command above, it does not help with POST when restarting.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: gtosi

Hi mac_editor,

Cool stuff, this worked well.

My specs: MBP 15' late 2013 (750m) + Akitio Node + TB3->TB2 cable + GTX1070.

I can confirm that after running the command, and restarting, I can leave the Akitio Node connected before booting, and there is no POST issue. (Usually there is a POST issue and I need to time the plugging in).

I will try this with Windows as well.

Yess! That's great. This is a good solution except it has to be re-run. Also as far as I remember in my testing in Windows doesn't reset this nvram variable so it should stay across Windows boots. Will be glad if you could try (won't disable dGPU in Win tho). So the only issue is macOS which resets the value. I believe I have a solution for that - to permanently fix the POST issue. Stay tuned!

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Sorry, I updated my post above. I was shooting from the hip before. The problem was that I think I had the -a option activated. So when running your command without the -a option, it actually did not help.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  8