2015 11" MacBook Air [5th,2C,U] + Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + ...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 11" MacBook Air [5th,2C,U] + Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.14.6  

RSS

largerdanlife
(@largerdanlife)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

2015 11" Macbook Air , i7-5650U, Intel HD6000, macOS 10.13.6

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core V2 , Radeon VII, Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter, Apple TB2 Cable

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for “attach files” button to appear. Or can link from say  http://imgur.com  )

IMG 7193

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

1) Run PurgeWrangler

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

LG 27UK850 (External LCD)

LuxMark (3.x) Luxball Scene

Screen Shot 2020 02 24 at 9.46.02 PM

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

Wow, all I can say is updating my graphics card made a huge difference in performance from a GTX 970. Everything also runs much more smoothly, I previously could not get the audio on my external screen to work with my GTX 970 but it now works with Radeon VII. I don't know if this is due to Mojave or the graphics card support. I can also leave my eGPU plugged in when previously, I was not able to boot with it plugged in. The Radeon VII is also even quieter than my GTX 970. The only issue I have is that the Razer V2 is so noisy when it's not plugged into my laptop or when my computer is off. Is there a way to fix this without having to unplug the Razer V2? Anyway, although it did get quite pricy ($700 total for the Razer V2 and Radeon VII), I'm extremely happy with this set up and will keep this for as long as I can. Grin

2015 11” MacBook Air (5th, 2C, U) + ASUS Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.14.6

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@largerdanlife, Thank you for sharing this nice build! Did you identify whether it's the Radeon VII fans causing the noise or the Razer Core V2 PSU fan?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
largerdanlife
(@largerdanlife)

@itsage, I believe it’s the Razer V2 fans as the Radeon VII fans are not spinning. The noise level is a bit bothersome so I have to always unplug the power for the Razer V2 if I’m not using it.

2015 11” MacBook Air (5th, 2C, U) + ASUS Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.14.6

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@largerdanlife, That has been my observation as well, the Razer Core V2 PSU fan is the loudest component of this pairing. I'm looking into replacing that 40mm cooling fan with a quieter option soon. For reference I'm reading through the discussion on fan replacement in the Gaming Box.

Update: Also found another reference of @ningauble77's replacement of the PSU in the Core V2 but it made no difference in overall noise level [discussion link]. Maybe we should take observation of the bottom intake fans. Those are 60x10mm.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

The bottom 60mm fans definitely seem to be the source of most of the really obnoxious noise.  They are a non standard thickness also so I don't think you can use noctua replacements without modifying them.  They are also substantially more work to get at than the PSU fans.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
largerdanlife
(@largerdanlife)

Thank you @itsage and @ningauble77 for your input. I'm still baffled on why it's making an obnoxious noise when it's not connected though?

Anyways, new update on this build. I was able to install windows 10 bootcamp on an external drive (I know it's not recommended) and I have a few weird issues. My Razer V2 and Radeon VII was originally not being recognized. I started installing Radeon VII drivers but it wasn't completing the install because there was no AMD in my system. 30 mins later, as I'm reading on how to solve this, all of a sudden, I receive a pop up that my Radeon VII drivers need to be updated so I update, look at device manager and see the dreaded error 12 and restarted. I follow the dsdt override and I once again restart. My external display starts working but I'm so confused because my Radeon VII fans aren't spinning at all and there's no lights so it makes me wonder if it's running properly. After the dsdt override, my CPU has also been running at 100% for no reason when I have nothing open! Need to work on this more to have it running properly.

My current issues are:

1. CPU running 100% for no reason, most items close. I open task manager and what's using all my CPU is system which is windows 10? 

2. Radeon VII fans not running and no lights but my external display which is connected through eGPU is working. Task manager also shows Radeon VII with utilization varying from 5% and spiking up to as high as 70-80% when I'm not running anything? I see AMD Xconnect running in my task bar but I can't open this to check it but AMD Adrenaline is working. 

Does anyone have any insight on my issues? I really appreciate any advice or comments or links to assist with this. I've tried googling the CPU issue but was not able to pinpoint any solution. Thanks for reading. Smile

ReplyQuote