2015 13" Dell XPS 13 9350 + R9 Fury [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [theitsage]^  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 13, 2017 4:49 am  

This one is for the Red team. I have been using a Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X with my Mac Pro tower thanks to the work of okrasit and Fl0r!an. I thought why not pop that GPU into this AKiTiO Node and test the upper limit of its 400W PSU.

This setup is working great! AMD XConnect showed up in the notification area after a couple of screen flashes. The fan spun up then settled to a normal speed. This is the same behavior as the Polaris cards I've used - the whoosh sound. The R9 Fury X has the best built quality I've ever felt on a graphics card. It has very solid construction and the metal material on the casing looks and feels great.

The radiator is massive; it's significantly larger than that of the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid. I couldn't mount it to the Node fan bracket fully but it's on securely. Long term use would require some zip-ties to prevent vibration.

If you notice the red lighting reflected on the back of the Node housing, it's the 8 LEDs on the PCIe power connectors. They light up accordingly to the power consumption level at which the GPU is running. It's a very cool feature.

Unigine benchmarks were run in XConnect accelerated internal display mode.

P.S. I also updated the AKiTiO Node firmware to version 1.0.0.4 through the XPS 9350. The process went smoothly.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

3RYL, ikir, goalque and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 13, 2017 4:54 am  

Very nice.

Are those Unigine benchmark results using the AMD X-Connect accelerated internal LCD mode or did you attach an external LCD? By the picture I'm guessing the former as cannot see a LCD attached.

Just want 100% confirmation of accelerated internal LCD mode using AMD cards as then AMD becomes a true competitor to NVidia Optimus for TB eGPU use.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 13, 2017 4:56 am  
Posted by: nando4

Very nice.

Are those Unigine benchmark results using the AMD X-Connect accelerated internal LCD mode or did you attach an external LCD? By the picture I'm guessing the former as cannot see a LCD attached.

Just want 100% confirmation of accelerated internal LCD mode using AMD cards as then AMD becomes a true competitor to NVidia Optimus for TB eGPU use.

These were through Xconnect accelerated internal display.

Yukikaze and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
January 13, 2017 5:45 am  

The Fury X is such a sexy card. We need more cards in a similar form factor of a tiny board with a water cooler. I guess when HBM2 arrives on the playing field we'll see more of them, since all the PCB real-estate taken up by GDDR5(X) chips will become vacant.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 13, 2017 2:30 pm  
Posted by: Yukikaze

The Fury X is such a sexy card. We need more cards in a similar form factor of a tiny board with a water cooler. I guess when HBM2 arrives on the playing field we'll see more of them, since all the PCB real-estate taken up by GDDR5(X) chips will become vacant.

Fiji GPUs are such bargain these days. I have not tried the R9 Fury but the Nano and Fury X with reference cooler were built to command a premium price. What's your impression on your R9 Fury?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
January 13, 2017 5:54 pm  

That anyone getting a RX480 or a GTX1060 over the Sapphire Fury Nitro right now is out of their minds (or can't power it up with their PSU, or can't fit it in their case).

It does have the drawback of being gigantic and eating up power, but it does undervolt pretty well, so you can take down it to GTX980-ish power consumption levels. It is also whisper quiet, runs amazingly cool (I run mine with the fan locked at 30%, which is ~1100RPM. It tops out at around 65c with a 25c ambient and I can't hear it at all, despite it being without a case and on my desk in front of me, under the monitor). It is very well built, definitely beyond what you'd expect a 240$ card, with a massive backplate covering the entire PCB side of it. The PCB design itself is excellent and uses great components (you can find a PCB strip-down and review on Youtube).

At least for what I am doing with it (Modded Stellaris, Modded Cities: Skylines), the 4GB of memory is quite sufficient and I rarely hit even 3GB of VRAM use, even with my 4096x2160 monitor. I am sure I could run it out of VRAM if I actually tried to, but so far, so good. I suspect that while the GTX1060 6GB and the RX 480 8GB have more VRAM, anything that actually uses over 4GB of VRAM is going to be too much for them in any case.

Overall: 10/10, would buy again. It is the best bang-for-the-buck video card out there right now. The nature of AMD GPUs, and the massive Fury chip in particular, is that they scale better at higher resolutions, so for 1080p it is somewhat of an overkill: A RX 470 can do that job just as well for 70$ less, but for 1440p and a budget 2160p setup, it is unbeatable for the price.

I'd say the biggest issue the R9 Fury Nitro has created for me is my newfound desire to buy a Fury X on ebay.

EDIT: Card is now 236$ after MIR and promo code at Newegg. The Fury X is 319$ on Amazon, as well. Hard to justify the jump to a Fury X as the performance difference is far smaller than the price variation.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

3RYL and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
may
 may
(@may)
January 13, 2017 6:19 pm  

Nice. Does your R9 Fury X work with Akitio Node and 2016 Macbook Pro?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 9, 2017 2:28 pm  

@may, with automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.0 the R9 Fury X with AKiTiO Node works with the 2016 MacBook Pro.

@Yukikaze, you weren't kidding about the R9 Fury Nitro. Awesome card and simply the best bang-for-the-buck GPU right now. MicroCenter near me was clearing out old stock and sold this for $179 with $20 MIR. I ran it through the Node and there's very little difference between this Fury and the Fury X. Not worth the upgrade cost to Fury X unless you want liquid cooling and the LED light show.

https://egpu.io/amd-xconnect-hp-spectre-13-akitio-node-r9-fury/

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
Quangkhai1105
(@quangkhai1105)
November 1, 2018 10:54 pm  

Can I ask which one is better for dell xps 9350: gtx 980 Ti or amd r9 fury X

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote