2015 15" Acer Aspire V15 VN7-592G (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" Acer Aspire V15 VN7-592G (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [v3n3]  

RSS

v3n3
 v3n3
(@v3n3)

System specifications

• 2016 15" Acer Aspire V15 VN7-592G
  • Intel i7-6700 HQ (max 3.5 Ghz 4-Core, 8-Threads)
  • 32GB RAM (2x16GB, dual channel, 2666Mhz)
  • iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce 960m
  • Storage: m.2 NVME Samsung 960 EVO (1TB) SSD, SATA Samsung 860 QVO (2TB)
  • Windows 10 Professional 1903

eGPU Hardware

Installation steps

Everything here mentioned also applies to the 2015 17" Acer Aspire V17 VN7-792G. Both, this 15" and the 17" Model are technically 100% identical.

Alright, this is going to get gnarly, since its not as dynamic as one would hope.

My Windows 10 is set to german, but I hope the screenshots and my translation are good enough.

1. Disable / Disconnect dGPU

You can not use this Laptop with an NVIDIA eGPU, without doing this.

I dont know if its a general Problem with the NVIDIA dGPU and eGPU combination, but at your next reboot the Laptop will freeze on the Windows Login Screen without doing this.

1. Go into Device-Manager

2. Change the View from "Type" to "Connection"

3. Right-Click the PCIe Controller the dGPU is connected to

4. "Deactivate Device"

2. Connect eGPU

At this point you dont need to panic.

If your eGPU is not instantly picked up turn the power of the eGPU off and on again WHILE its connected. (this is a general tipp for this laptop, doesnt matter if its AMD or NVIDIA cards)

Next the Thunderbolt Software will tell you that your Laptop is not capable of using a external GPU. This is technically true, since the Thunderbolt 3 eGPU standard changed after this Laptop was introduced, but we can just plain ignore that, its working fine.

https://i.imgur.com/ATY2T2g

Last but not least, all NVIDIA GPU´s (760, 980 TI, 1080TI tested) show up with Error 43. But Im going to tell you how to fix that

3. Magic dance to fix Error 43
    1. Go back into the Device-Manager and change the View to "Connection" again

2. Search for the PCIe Root Port where your NVIDIA GPU is connected to

3. Again, Right-Click that Port, disable, wait for the Window to update and activate the "Device" again

4. Voil´a, your NVIDIA GPU is working now

I got a suprise for you. You have to do this step on every reboot and whenever you connect the eGPU again.

Benchmarks

Valley

Basic Extreme Extreme HD

Heaven

Basic Extreme

Superposition

1080p Medium 1080p High 1080p Extreme 4K 8K

3DMark

Fire Strike Time Spy

Comments

Before the RTX 2060 Super I owned an AMD RX 580 and just a few days ago an RX 5700 XT and the here mentioned steps you have to go through to actually use the eGPU are not required with a AMD GPU.

Im really mixed on this one, I have a bad history with Acer Laptops and this is definetly my last one. I dont know if the mentioned eGPU Problems, being the connectivity Problems or NVIDIA Error 43, are related to Acer cheaping out again, a poor Thunderbolt 3 implementation or that the Thunderbolt 3 implementation is so old, but I can not recommend this Laptop to anyone (luckily the whole line has been discontinued).

Also a really big note is that you are pretty much forced to Liquid Cool your CPU, since even with good Thermal Paste the Processor is always throttling. In my case I used Conductonaut and my CPU Temperatures dropped by around 20C and increased my eGPU performance dramatically.

2015 15" Acer Aspire V15 VN7-592G (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

raebyagthefirst, mr.ribeiro, eeleet and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
v3n3
 v3n3
(@v3n3)

I guess nobody cares, but I threw together a small application / service that automaticates the process I explained, in order to use NVIDIA GPU´s:

https://github.com/BLNJ/Thunderbolt3TryAndError

2015 15" Acer Aspire V15 VN7-592G (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote