2015 15" ASUS X550JX (GTX950M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" ASUS X550JX (GTX950M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [P0tat0]  

RSS

(@botond_boldizsar)

Hi,

I have succesfully managed to make an Asus X550JX working with eGPU, and I would like to share it

LAPTOP - 2015 Asus X550JX

• CPU: i7-4720HQ (4C, 8T; 2.6GHz base clock up to 3.6GHz)
  • RAM: 12Gb DDR3L 1600MHz (4Gb soldered + 8Gb stick)
  • dGPU: Nvidia GTX 950M 4Gb GDDR3
  • Screen: 15.6" 1366x768
  • Storage: 4500RPM 1TB Toshiba HDD + Kingston A400 128Gb SSD (in the place of the ODD with an adapter)

eGPU hardware

• PCE164P-N03, mPCIe
  • PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 600 (600W 80+)
  • External Asus VP249HE IPS 1080p monitor
  • Sapphire Radeon RX580 OC 4Gb

Building

• this laptop has the mPCIe slot in a strange location, it is facing upwards, it is just beneath the keyboard, and under it goes the heatpipe, so this is what I did with an mPCIe extender like that

• to make the laptop mobile, I used that opportunity, so if I want to, I can swap the wifi+bluetooth card to the eGPU adapter
  • to be able to do so, I found an another way for the antennas:

https://imgur.com/aoHVj9k.jp g" width="75%" />

• at the end I have the mPCIe extender coming out from the computer between the case and the battery:

Putting it all together

• I didn't want to disable the GTX 950M, because it performs okay on the internal screen
  • I turned on the laptop with the wireless card in it
  • put it to sleep mode, and swapped the wireless card to the eGPU adapter
  • in device manager there was my RX580 as Microsoft Basic display adapter (I haven't hooked the monitor on the RX580 yet)
  • I downloaded the Radeon Software and installed it
  • I restarted the computer, but now I hooked the screen on the RX580
  • and in task manager I could see all the 3 GPUs (iGPU, dGPU and eGPU) and the external screen was working fine from the eGPU

• after playing around, I found that the best settings are: downclock GPU core by 25%, overclock memory to 1900MHz, and overvolt by 15%

GAMING

In 1080p it improved much (with external screen). With the same quality settings I can easily hit over 60 fps in my games, my avg fps improved much, but the drops are bigger and more noticable! I haven't benchmarked the system, I can feel the huge difference, but if you would like to, I can compare the dGPU and the eGPU in 1080p.

I play GTA V, ETS2, ATS, Dirt 4, Transport Fever, Rainbow 6 Siege, Project Cars 2, Mad Max, and sometimes WoT. I could even turn the settings up while keeping the high fps. But I needed to disable Vertical Sync. If it is enabled, then the eGPU will stop working after around 10-15 mins, and I need to restart the game, which is quite annoying especially with GTA V Online, where the loading times are pretty high. If you have any questions, don't hesitate, ask in the comments!

Thanks for checking my build!

UPDATE: after disabling the dGPU (GTX 950M) in device manager, the eGPU's performance and stability increased a lot (maybe this has to do something with the PCIe lanes, but I don't really know)

This topic was modified 1 month ago

My setup:
ASUS X550JX (i7-4720HQ, 12Gb 1600Mhz DDR3L, 1TB HDD + 240Gb SSD, GTX 950M 4Gb GDDR3)
ASUS VP249HE FHD monitor
Sapphire Radeon RX580 4Gb OC

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@lung_bogdan)

Hey, thank you for trying this out.
There's a problem, I can't access the photos you linked, could you relink them to imgur or something else? I'm really curious how you managed to get the mpcie cable out.

I have the exact same laptop and I wasn't sure If it'd work but I guess it's worth a try now. Just asking, is this the exact model? ASUS F550JX-DM247D

https://www.countstats.net/review-of-the-asus-x550jx-laptop/  

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@botond_boldizsar)

@lung_bogdan, yeah, sure! Now I can see, that there's only links there, but when I uploaded it, they were here. I will upload them soon 

And as far as I can see, they are identical, they share the same chasis etc, except, that yours came with SSD out of the box. I'll check out a disassembly video, and some ebay motherboard listings to see if they are the same

I checked it out and I'm 99% sure that they are the same except the letter in their name. I hope you will succed, but ask me, and I'll try to do my best 😉

My setup:
ASUS X550JX (i7-4720HQ, 12Gb 1600Mhz DDR3L, 1TB HDD + 240Gb SSD, GTX 950M 4Gb GDDR3)
ASUS VP249HE FHD monitor

ReplyQuote
(@lung_bogdan)

I'm currently waiting for the mpcie to pcie x16 adaptor. It should arrive this week. 

After my research, you have the X550JX version of the laptop which is 1366x768 and I have the F550JX (1920x1080), the only difference between mine and yours is strictly the screen. Unfortunately I didn't find any mpcie ribbon cable extenders in my country, as you did so I'll try my best to route the cable without bulging my keyboard too much. I plan on playing on my internal screen, even though I heard only bad performance by doing that. 

Did you try playing on internal screen at all? I'm really curious about that.

I'll be using a GTX 1060 3GB version with a 520W power supply and the exact same adapter as yours, the PCE164P-NO3. If you encounter any issues let me know what I could bump into 😀

P.S It's so sad just looking at the gpu and power supply and having to wait for the adapters 🙁

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@botond_boldizsar)

I have linked an extender ribbon cable in my description (if you click on the blue "that" right before the frist picture) from AliExpress (I also ordered it from AliExpress).

And yeah, I tried it, and you will better get an external screen, because the eGPU on the internal screen is worse than your dGPU, even on my smaller resolution panel.

And so far I haven't had any issues. Just make sure that you turn on your PSU then your laptop.

My setup:
ASUS VP249HE FHD monitor

ReplyQuote