2015 15" ASUS X550JX (GTX950M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" ASUS X550JX (GTX950M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [P0tat0]  

of  3
  RSS

wlader
(@wlader)

Hello I'm trying to install a video card in my notbook using the adapter, but I'm not getting it, can you help me?

My notbook is AZUS K45VM i7 3610QM 8Gb of Memoria, installed Windows 10 64bts
Internal graphics: Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000
Internal graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT630M 2GB

The external video card I want to adapt is the "Sapphire AMD RX 470 4Gb"
I am using the Egpu Mini Pci Express Adapter "pce164p-n03"

I disassembled my Notbook, and removed the Wifi card, and put the adapter card in place, connected all the necessary cables, USB and power supply, connecting with clips (green and black).

With the source turned on, I connected the notbook normally, but when I see the "device manager" the video card RX 470 does not appear there.

As far as I know, everything is connected correctly in the cables, I don't know what else should be done. how to proceed

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
felkaram
(@felkaram)

Posted by: @botond_boldizsar

• I turned on the laptop with the wireless card in it
  • put it to sleep mode, and swapped the wireless card to the eGPU adapter

Hi! First of all, thanks for sharing your experience.

Im looking foward to do this on my Asus N550JV with similar tecs (4th 4C i7, 8G Ram, GeF 750M, Windows 10 and SSD in the ODD place) with the same miniPCE adaptor you use, but I would like to know why do you do part of the steps (sleep mode and then change the wireless card to the egpu). 
Would be the same, starting without wireless card in any way?

Sorry, I'm just starting the research, but I guess. 

Thanks again for the help Smile

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Botond Boldizsár
(@botond_boldizsar)

@felkaram,

Hi,

I have read that somewhere on this forum that I should do this with Asus laptops. If I remember correctly it was necessary because most Asus laptops won't recognise anything, but the wifi card at boot if it was in them previously (so if you turn off your laptop with the eGPU plugged in, then turn it on again you will be fine, but if you used the wifi card, you will need to start it with the wifi card, put it to sleep, then swap the wifi card to the eGPU).

Hope it clears something up 😉

Good luck, and have fun 🙂

My setup:
ASUS X550JX (i7-4720HQ, 12Gb 1600Mhz DDR3L, 1TB HDD + 240Gb SSD, GTX 950M 4Gb GDDR3)
ASUS VP249HE FHD monitor
Sapphire Radeon RX580 4Gb OC

2015 15" ASUS X550JX (GTX950M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Botond Boldizsár
(@botond_boldizsar)

Hi @wlader,

I am really sorry for the late reply. I don't know the problem right now, but if you still need help, send a private message, and we will do some troubleshooting.

But honestly I hope you have solved the problem! 🙂

My setup:
ASUS X550JX (i7-4720HQ, 12Gb 1600Mhz DDR3L, 1TB HDD + 240Gb SSD, GTX 950M 4Gb GDDR3)
ASUS VP249HE FHD monitor

2015 15" ASUS X550JX (GTX950M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
felkaram
(@felkaram)

@botond_boldizsar, thank you very much for the reply. I'll try this method (sleep mode, swap the card and wake it up ) when i get my setup ready.

Let me ask you two more questions, please:

Posted by: @botond_boldizsar

I restarted the computer, but now I hooked the screen on the RX580

I was thinking to use the laptop as a monitor too.

You also tried the eGPU on the laptop's monitor? It was fine as well?

Or the eGPU in that case only works with an external?

The other question is why you chose an AMD GPU and not NVidia at the time? This has anything to do with any possible drivers' conflict or just personal choice?

Thanks a lot again! 

ReplyQuote
Botond Boldizsár
(@botond_boldizsar)

@felkaram

Sure thing!

1. You also tried the eGPU on the laptop's monitor? It was fine as well?

I tried it, but the performance was not stable, and it was worse than the performance of my dGPU (GTX 950m), maybe you would have better results, because the 630 is not even close to the 950m, but I can't recommend using the laptop screen. Otherwise it worked fine, for me it just didn't worth it.

2. Why you chose an AMD GPU and not NVidia at the time? This has anything to do with any possible drivers' conflict or just personal choice?

Personal and racional choice, AMD offered way better value than Nvidia in my budget.

My setup:
ASUS VP249HE FHD monitor

ReplyQuote
 of  3