2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Li...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [tilchev]  

RSS

tilchev
(@tilchev)

System specs

2015 15.6" Dell Latitude E5570, i5 6440HQ, Intel HD 530, AMD R7 M370, Win 10 64-bit

eGPU hardware

32Gbps-M2 ADT-Link R43SG, Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix "GS", powered by a standard/stock/generic Delux ATX 300W PSU, gainward carboard gpu box "enclosure" for now

Hardware pictures 

It's nice how my gpu's box had a hole for the cardboard 'lock' that the M.2 cable went trough perfectly:

IMG 20200617 205003
IMG 20200617 205119

The E5570 can't fit a regular sized 2.5'' drive and an M.2 drive at the same time so I had to sell my Samsung EVO 850 500GB SATA 3 and replace it with an Kingston UV500 480GB mSATA SSD + mSATA to SATA adapter.

IMG 20200511 234946
IMG 20200512 000515

Because my laptop came with a SATA SSD, it didn't have the required M.2 mounting bracket. So I ordered one (part 0X3YR8) along with the R43SG, but it got lost and I got tired of waiting (the ADT Link board had arrived), so I built my own mounting bracket from an old plastic fitness card (finally got some use out of that! xD ) and a sawed in half motherboard standoff. I used clockwork saws to do all the cutting. The picture with the proper mounting bracket isn't from my laptop. Note that I put the standoff on the 60mm mark of a M.2 board, although the stock bracket is for the 80mm mark. I thought it would hold better this way.

g9SNmAH
IMG 20200609 210945

I got a spare second hand bottom cover (part 00VJ58) to cut a M.2 shaped whole in, so the cable can go trough and I can unplug it without removing the bottom plate. You can cut the original one of course but I wanted to preserve it.

IMG 20200614 125714
IMG 20200614 125718

The laptop stand I used is a HAMA-51062 15.6'' 360. It is cheap (8EUR at a local PC store), rises the laptop quite a bit and keeps the sides free for the M.2 cable. I removed the 360 part because I did't want it to spin - it is on 1 screw. It is also pretty compact when folded, so it's easy to carry around if I want to take my whole setup with me.

IMG 20200617 204815
5b8d83ba 506b 2c2a a004 9c29c4ea9929

Installation steps

1. Do all the hardware steps as described in the 'Hardware pictures' section.

2. Make sure to put SW-2 on the R43SG to 2. This will give the correct delay for the laptop to power on the eGPU along with it.

2.5. UPDATE: Initially I had powered the R43SG via 24pin + 4pin CPU connectors and then used its GPU power to 6/8 pin cable to power my Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix "GS", so it looked something like this (example pictures are from ADT link site):

O1CN01Q8z94n1EFyQMjG2PP !!3004660323

I was using this method because my PSU doesn't have a 6pin connector. This turned out to cause random power issues (the eGPU suddenly shutting off in some games - Watch Dogs 1, even at low). So now I tried using a 2xMOLEX to 6pin adapter cable instead, luckily my PSU at least has 2xMOLEX:

IMG 20200621 174739

This solved my power issues. Of course it would be best to just use a PSU with a dedicated 6pin connector, so I am considering that as a future upgrade.

3. Boot into windows, check on device manager showing the GTX 1060 card is detected. Install the latest driver from NVidia and restart the laptop.

4. Device manager will show "error 43" as I'm using a 10XX series card. Run the  nvidia-error43-fixer  (big thanks to  nando - you got one coffee from me ;) , then reboot again and the error should be gone.

5. Work complete Mr. Green !

I am really glad I didn't have to do any BIOS changes or DDU my R7 M370 dGPU. AMD or NVidia? Why not both!

Benchmarks

I haven't clocked my CPU, so I presume the very similar results in internal and external display are in fact due to a CPU bottleneck. But this is good enough for real world usage so at least for now I don't plan to clock anything. Might also have to do with my external monitor - it is a nothing special LG-W2353V connected to the eGPU via HDMI?

External Internal
external
internal

The games I'm playing are:

EA SW Battlefront 2 - ultra, max AA, 60FPS, DX11.

WWZ - ultra, 60FPS, both DX and Vulkan.

Watch Dogs 1 - high/ultra, 40-60FPS, but I've been having random crashes. Look at the UPDATE in Installation steps 2.5 for a solution.

Thinking of getting SW Fallen Order - gonna report how it goes.

Comments

I bought this business oriented laptop 3+ years ago to mainly work on it and didn't think I needed a gaming laptop because I was rarely playing games and even when I did they were old so it would do the job. However, during all the COVID19 stuff I started playing more and newer games, so it started to be a pain. I was already thinking of selling it and buying a gaming laptop when I got the idea to see if I can connect an eGPU to it somehow. That is how I came to this forum and more precisely to Jkeychen Liew's build - many thanks to him! Now I am playing all the games I want on high/ultra settings with 60fps, where before they barely even ran at low.

One might argue that it would still have been better to sell the laptop and get a desktop for cheaper, not to mention the price of the eGPU itself (more on that later). However I still occasionally have to carry a laptop around for work and maintaining 2 systems seems like too much of a hustle. Why not get a gamer laptop then? Well, where is the fun in that! xD For me this was as much about the journey if not even more, than about the destination.

Lastly I want to go over how much everything cost me, because I really wanted to keep this on a budget in order to justify it better and not get buyers remorse:

1. mSATA SSD 100EUR - selling old SATA SSD 50EUR = 50EUR

2. Spare bottom cover for Dell E5570 25EUR

3. R43SG 50EUR

4. Second hand 1060 6GB 115EUR

That is a total of 240EUR, which I think is a pretty good deal. Also, 1 and 2 aren't really part of the actual eGPU, but I included them never the less.

Future upgrade ideas:

1. I'm thinking of modding a Mini-ITX/Micto-ATX or some other small form factor case for the eGPU later on. They are kinda pricey so I would have to get a good deal - wouldn't want to spend half of the cost of the whole eGPU on that. I might also keep it like it is, cuz I like looking at the bare GPU (that's why a protective backplate was a must for me) and the box still is kinda portable. I also might make something entirely custom. Will update if I end up doing anything.

2. I've already ordered a ~50EUR UPS to address some concerns I've described in this thread. I probably don't need to be worried but researching, waiting for delivery and assembling this took me 2 months and I don't want anything to get damaged.

UPDATE: got the UPS and I'm pretty happy with it.

3. Better PSU - wattage is fine, but I want to get one with a dedicated 6/8pin gpu connector. See Installation steps 2.5 for details.

UPDATE for 1. and 3. - https://egpu.io/forums/custom-egpu-chassis/cheap-diy-transparent-case-from-generic-storage-box-no-3d-printing-or-power-tools/

This topic was modified 1 day ago
2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Kent Fyeratanye
(@kent_fyeratanye)

Hy, Congratulations.

Can you show me in GPU-Z how mani lines your m2 port is using like this

It will help me alot 

Tnx

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@kent_fyeratanye, the CUDA-Z bandwidth confirms the link as 32Gbps (x4 3.0) when referenced against:

https://egpu.io/best-external-graphics-card-builds/#perf

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kent Fyeratanye
(@kent_fyeratanye)

@nando4

Tnx for reply, Nando 

offtopic:

i have a laptop with m2 nvme port and i dont know how many pci-e line i have

my geforce mx230 is a soldered gpu and have like you sayd 4x3.0 lines

is a way to detect how many lines have my m2 nvme port

my laptop is acer aspire a315-55G i3 10110u motherboard CML Happy_WC

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@kent_fyeratanye , you can inspect the NVME SSD's hosting PCIe port width (x2,x4) using hwinfo64. An example of which is in the build link in my signature.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tilchev
(@tilchev)

@kent_fyeratanye, Here you go:

pcie lanes

I found info about my laptop prior to deciding to do the build here https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-M-2-NVME-Specifications-And-Upgrade-Requirements-For/td-p/5072834 . Perhaps you might find something similar for yours? A good thing to start are your processors specs, cuz if it doesn't have the right PCIe lanes, the motherboard wouldn't matter. Here are the specs of your processor https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196451/intel-core-i3-10110u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html .

Expansion Options

My guess it that the 1x4 meant for a M.2 NVMe slot, but better you do your own research.

2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kent Fyeratanye
(@kent_fyeratanye)

@tilchev

Tnx a lot man ,unfortunately my laptop suport x2 🙁

ReplyQuote
tilchev
(@tilchev)

@kent_fyeratanye, Sorry to hear that 🙁 well you could still do it but I don't know if it is justifiable. The performance loss might be too great for the cost.

FYI, I've got an update on my PSU and case - https://egpu.io/forums/custom-egpu-chassis/cheap-diy-transparent-case-from-generic-storage-box-no-3d-printing-or-power-tools/

ReplyQuote