2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (AD...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS  

of  4
  RSS

Saltius
(@saltius)

@nando4

I downloaded the whole DaVinci Resolve v16.0 1.5GB almost and found that bandwidthtest.exe could be used seperately and it is only 200KB.

So can you post the bandwidthtest tool in this post? Or could it cause some legal issues?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @saltius

I downloaded the whole DaVinci Resolve v16.0 1.5GB almost and found that bandwidthtest.exe could be used seperately and it is only 200KB.

So can you post the bandwidthtest tool in this post? Or could it cause some legal issues?

To prevent copyright infringement, bandwidthtest.exe isn't being isolated and linked. So to replicate my testing, please download the free Da Vinci Resolve package to access their bandwidthtest.exe.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Joaquin Lobos
(@joaquin_lobos)

@nando4, How did you manage to deal with the cable? Did you leave the laptop without its cover?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@joaquin_lobos, the bottom cover was off to allow access to the M.2 slot.

When wanting to go mobile, the ADT-Link R43SG was unplugged and laptop bottom covers reinstalled.  An access cutout to the M.2 slot would make it faster to do.

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Hunter4uRO
(@hunter4uro)

@nando4
Hi i want to try this on my new Dell Precission 7710 with 6820hq i7, 32GB, ssd sata 3, quadro M3000M.
I have to do the same steps?
I want to use M.2 M PCI-E Version PCIe PCI-E V9.5 EXP GDC Laptop Docking Station,
It will be good?

and as GPU 980Ti
I will buy a 1080Ti later but as i remember form past 2 years 10th and 20th generation doesn't work so good with eGPU on laptops. Is still the same or now the drivers and "error 43" better?

Thank you.

2011 17" HP EliteBook 8760W (Q K3000M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 750 Ti @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@hunter4uro , error 43 is addressed in the opening post. The Buyer Guide compares M.2 eGPU adapters and I used the recommended ADT-Link R43SG in this build.

ReplyQuote
Alvin Dmitri
 Alvin Dmitri
(@Alvin Dmitri)

Hey @nando4 , I'm relatively new to building computers here so pardon my ignorance. I'm currently trying to set up an eGPU with Nvidia Quadro RTX4000 for engineering purposes, coupled with a laptop that has a basic geforce card for light gaming. I am quite against the idea of an underside cabling to the internal M.2 port as that ruins the warranty of the laptop, so I'm going to try to opt for the thunderbolt option instead. I'd go with the former if I'm unable to find a laptop with thunderbolt and 32gb RAM under 1100USD.

I am quite unsure of how to go about this. Considering eGPU enclosures are extremely overpriced, I've decided to 3D print mine. I've seen your guide but I'm still unsure- how do I connect the thunderbolt cable to the eGPU port? Is there some sort of adaptor?

Hope to hear from you soon!

ReplyQuote
perna
(@perna)

Hello guys, first of all I would like to say that's great to see a comunity involved on eGPU with so many ppl helping each other. You all rock!

I have an notebook Dell G3 with an i7 9750h processor and a dGPU GTX1660ti max-q. Its a nice dGPU and run almost all games in high/ultra in my notebook screen (it's a pretty decent graphic card for 1080p). 

The thing is that I'm also using this notebook for VR gaming and that's way gpu demanding. So I was wondering about a possibility to upgrade my performance with an eGPU.

So I was thinking in using an RTX2070 Super with adt-link sacrifying my m.2 NVMe slot to do so (then I would replace my HD to an SSD Sata III).

I need the mobility so I was wondering if there's a somewhat plug'n'play solution for it, using eGPU like and dockstation for more demanding stuff and my dGPU when I'm on the road. 

For what I've been researching I could use an m.2 adaptor/extensor (and that would be important to keep m.2 slot safe if something goes wrong), that really can keep my m.2 slot safe? Could I just unplug the eGPU when I'm not using it (powered off of course) or should I remove battery everytime I need to move the notebook (don't want/can't carry the eGPU always with it).

What about the performance? Will there be some loss even using an m.2 NVMe connection? Could it be RTX 30xx compatible in the future without significant loss?

If you can help me with this questions that would be great. 

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @nando4

3. Unoptimized BIOS on non-Mac "H" 8th/9th gen CPU systems leading to a further 15% performance degradation. M.2 eGPUs are also affected. A system BIOS type patch is required as a fix. 

Hi nando4!

Do you know if 10th gen "h" processors are doing better in this regard?!

Thy!

phila

This post was modified 1 year ago
2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@phila-delphia , consider running Forza 4 on your H system + eGPU, the compare against running it on a high-end U system + eGPU and compare FPS results to get your answer.

ReplyQuote
 of  4