2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (OWC Mercury Helios...

Notifications
Clear all
  RSS

grendelX
(@grendelx)

System specs

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

iGPU Intel Iris Pro 5200

macOS 10.15.7 Catalina

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

256GB SSD

eGPU hardware

OWC Mercury Helios FX

Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6

Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter

Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable

Installation steps

Back up computer

Disable system integrity protection

Run PurgeWrangler and enable AMD GPUs only. No ti82 support or legacy kext needed.

Install GPU in enclosure

Connect eGPU to Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt

Connect eGPU to external monitor via DisplayPort

Reboot computer and eGPU is ready to go. No issues whatsoever.

Benchmarks

DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.2.7 ProRes Master Default Setting Render Speeds. 11 min 36 sec QuickTime file. 

Comments

Greetings! First of all thanks to everyone for making the upgrade process so simple and easy. That's why I wanted to post here first and hopefully this build will help someone else along the way. I mainly use my eGPU for post production work and benchmarks I included are from my DaVinci Resolve workflow. Itching to give gaming a try but haven't figured out how to use eGPU with CS:GO yet. If anyone has an answer that would be great. Thanks again!

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago
2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (OWC Mercury Helios FX) + macOS 10.15.7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
grendelX
(@grendelx)

Thanks for the link! I have a feeling I am about to lose a couple of days of productivity. 

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (OWC Mercury Helios FX) + macOS 10.15.7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
namechu0227
(@namechu0227)

Hello, I went through the above settings, but when I connected the egpu to my computer, the computer did not respond, that is, there was no sign. The cable was bought from Apple.com. Is it a computer interface problem or other problems.Looking forward to your reply

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
grendelX
(@grendelx)

@namechu0227, I am new to working with eGPUs so not sure how to help you. I installed purge-wrangler on two different external SSD drives and it worked for me both times. I did a fresh Catalina 10.15.7 install on both drives prior to installing purge-wrangler. Can you provide some specs for your system and eGPU? 

ReplyQuote
namechu0227
(@namechu0227)

My equipment is the same as yours, but the eGpu is XFX 5600XT,I really don't know what the problem is. I use 2018 MacBook Pro 13 inch, run normally.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
grendelX
(@grendelx)

@namechu0227, sorry to hear you're having issues with that card. In my research I found many posts here of people having issues with XFX cards. I would recommend reaching out to owners of your particular XFX card to see how they got their eGPUs working. If that fails, you may want to stick to cards officially recommended by Apple if you want plug and play ease of use.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

ReplyQuote
namechu0227
(@namechu0227)

@grendelx, Thank you. I think it's right to upgrade AMD 5600M with the 2019 computer. Now it seems wrong.

ReplyQuote