2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th, 4C, H] + RX 580 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 [ _photoguy_]
- Mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro ( Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB)
- Mojave 10.14.6
- 27-inch (3840x2160) Dell UP2718Q
- 24-inch (1920x1080) Dell U2412M
- eGFX Sonnet Breakaway 550
- Gigabyte RX580 8GB
- Thunderbolt 2 cable ( https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m )
- Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Installation steps OSX
This is easy part of installation here should not appear any problem. Prepare you video card and eGFX, insert video card and insert Thunderbolt 3 to eGFX and connect Thunderbol 2 to it.
- Open Terminal in osx
- Here is the page with script that we will use: ( purge-wrangler )
- You need to copy that code and insert that code to Terminal.
- Enter password to Terminal as required.
- Reboot your system.
- Insert your eGPU Thunderbolt to Macbook.
- Log-out from Mojave, log-in.
I do picture editing and a bit of video making, Lightroom, Photoshop and DaVinci Resolve.
Everything runs good, most of the power you see in Resolve, and powering that 4K screen of mine. Rest of the OS doesn't really show much more. Anyway flawless installation and usage. Thanks to all those making the scripts!!!
@_photoguy_ Thank you for sharing this nice build guide! Thunderbolt 2 Macs + eGPU through an external monitor have better performance than most would expect. It's a significant boost with iGPU-only Macs.