2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RP W5700 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RP W5700 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5  

RSS

duhlong
(@duhlong)

So I finally pulled the trigger and purchased an eGPU and an external display. I've been putting this off for quite some time. I thought I'd make my current MacBook Pro last a couple more years and wait and see how this transition to ARM goes for Apple. In the past, I had a Powermac and had to go through one of these processor transitions when Apple switched to Intel. I didn't feel like it went well for PowerPC users, as it left me with a near-worthless, unsupported computer. I simply don't want to have to go through that again. But anyways...

System

• MacBook Pro (15-inch Retina Mid 2015)
  • MacOS 10.15.5 (Build 19F101)
  • Intel Core i7-4770HQ @ 2.20 GHz
  • Memory 16GB DDR3.
  • BenQ SW271 Display

(Note that I also upgraded my SSD with a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro with the Sintech adapter. Works flawlessly so far.)

External GPU Setup

Compute Scores

Metal: 54,912

OpenCL: 51,495

Installation

Installation was pretty easy. 

1. Disable SIP
  2. Run purge_wrangler.sh to enable AMD GPUs only. I left the eGPU disconnected for this part.
  3. Reboot, login, and connect the eGPU.

Issues

1. For some reason, I get petter performance with a second display (or ghost display adapter). I'm hoping that future drivers fix this issue.
  2. Computer freezes when the eGPU is connected while booting or restarting. I've seen a number of people with this same issue. I don't know what causes it. I'm also hoping this is a driver issue that will hopefully get fixed in the future. Apple did just add support for this GPU recently. If anyone knows the problem and/or how to fix this, I would be grateful :).
This topic was modified 5 months ago
2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RP W5700 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote