2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Nod...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10  

RSS

kind_grape
(@kind_grape)

Had some success on this built hence would like to share it to anyone wants to do EGPU with this particular MBP (or any tb2 rMBP from the look of it)

System specs :

Laptop :

mid 2015 Macbook pr0 retina 

i7 4870hq / 16GB DDR3/1TB ssd

dGPU : r9-m370x

Screens :

- main : Dell p2214h  + Laptop screeen

eGPU hardware :

eGPU enclosure: Akitio Node pro

Cables: Apple tb2 cables (2m) + apple tb3 to tb2 adapter 

eGPU card : Reference RX 480 - 8gb

Win 10 setup - Plug and play, which is to my surprise as I have been lurking around this forum for some time. I was expecting to have major challenge to get it going.

My computer is not running bootcampdrivers.com drivers. Just regular apple installed amd driver.

win version is 20H2

1. plug in the tb2 cables to the tb2 port

2. Windows detects PCI device, started to install "AMD-Xconnect" software

3. 2 restarts later with EGPU plugin during this whole time, windows now fully utilizing the EGPU on the external monitor! (main) and the internal display is working as secondary monitor with extended mode

AMD software now detects both egpu (rx480) in internal dGPU

Can't say the same for mac OS catalina..Macbook crashed shortly after plugging in my egpu, and it was in a reboot loop with egpu pluged in (kernal panic? start up progress bar is at 2/3 and it will just restart)

Assuming I only play some games in bootcamp, I can live with this for the time being

PS: bootcamp fan become obnoxiously loud when egpu is plugged-in. I have used throttlestop to power limit the CPU and undervolted, which works great without EGPU. However when plugging in EGPU, the fans go on full blast regardless what I am doing.

I have also tried to adjust the fan curve with mac fan control under Win.. even worse, it seems to throttle the CPU at 700Mhz after a while, while CPU temp sitting comfortably at 60C... super odd

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
macnexus
(@macnexus)
Eminent Member

Have you tried using goalque's EFI method posted here to enable the Intel iGPU and disable the AMD dGPU before booting into Windows? That might solve the fan issue. If you are successful in running the EFI script, you should see the following in Device Manager.

windows 10 pro egpu 2

You will not see the Windows 10 loading screen (as the dGPU is turned off after running the EFI script, so blank screen on your laptop) but the iGPU should be activated as soon as you reach the Windows 10 login screen. Probably worth trying without eGPU to make sure you can get the iGPU to work first.

Computer: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with M370X dGPU
eGPU: R43SG + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
kind_grape
(@kind_grape)

Posted by: @macnexus

Have you tried using goalque's EFI method posted here to enable the Intel iGPU and disable the AMD dGPU before booting into Windows? That might solve the fan issue. If you are successful in running the EFI script, you should see the following in Device Manager.

windows 10 pro egpu 2

You will not see the Windows 10 loading screen (as the dGPU is turned off after running the EFI script, so blank screen on your laptop) but the iGPU should be activated as soon as you reach the Windows 10 login screen. Probably worth trying without eGPU to make sure you can get the iGPU to work first.

Thanks, not I have not tried that. I was more or less just to try to plugin the TB2 and see what it will look like for the heck of it, didn't expect it to work right out of the gate Smile  

In mac fan control I can see its actually the left fan (CPU and other items) are spinning up towards 6000rpm. On the other hand the right fan (dGPU) are just hovering around 2000rpm. I was under the impression that mac bootcamp decided to ramp up fan even faster when an eGPU is connected to keep PCI bus cooled? not sure at this point though.

Is there other performance advantage of disabling the dGPU as well? I ran timespy a couple times and for my rx480 and 3100/3200 mark is what I got. Not sure if that is the expected result for an egpu set up (plus the whole tb2 situation)

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
macnexus
(@macnexus)
Eminent Member

Both fans on my MBP are usually at the same speed. They idle around 2000rpm and max out around 6000rpm. I have not seen any of the two fans running significantly quicker than the other although my set up is slightly different from yours as I use the M.2 slot rather than TB2.

When I boot into Windows 10, the fans are quiet during moderate use. This is with the dGPU disabled using the EFI script. You can create a bootable USB stick with the EFI files and hold alt when you power on your MBP to test it without modifying any files in the internal SSD.

Computer: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with M370X dGPU
eGPU: R43SG + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote