2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer ...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10  

of  2
  RSS

dinoscool3
(@dinoscool3)

Hi! I posted in the mega thread about 215 15-in MacBook Pros, but didn't get a response.

I'm thinking about using the RX 5700XT with an Akitio Node because there's a package on OWC with them combined. Seems like a good price. Is the Razer X working out well for you though?

You mention a fresh Win 10 Bootcamp install. Do I have to do a fresh install? I have Win 10 already installed, with a bunch of stuff on it so I'd like to avoid if I can. Would the process change much without a fresh install?

I wasn't planning on having an external monitor for another few months. Should I prioritize getting one? Would the eGPU work okay without an external monitor?

Thanks so much for your explanation of the eGPU Toggler, think it makes enough sense on how to get the thing working with Bootcamp.

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dinoscool3, What are you planning on using the eGPU in Boot Camp for? If it's gaming, you should connect an external monitor to the eGPU. Depending on the current version Windows 10 you have installed, it may cause error 12. AKiTiO Node is good for the Thunderbolt 2 MacBook Pro because there's no use for Power Delivery.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dinoscool3
(@dinoscool3)

@itsage, Thanks! Read up on the Error 12 and the eGPU Toggler fix. I will be using for gaming so I guess getting an external monitor is important. And thanks for the info on the AKiTiO Node !

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Anton Puzorjov
(@anton_puzorjov)

Posted by: @dinoscool3

Hi! I posted in the mega thread about 215 15-in MacBook Pros, but didn't get a response.

I'm thinking about using the RX 5700XT with an Akitio Node because there's a package on OWC with them combined. Seems like a good price. Is the Razer X working out well for you though?

You mention a fresh Win 10 Bootcamp install. Do I have to do a fresh install? I have Win 10 already installed, with a bunch of stuff on it so I'd like to avoid if I can. Would the process change much without a fresh install?

I wasn't planning on having an external monitor for another few months. Should I prioritize getting one? Would the eGPU work okay without an external monitor?

Thanks so much for your explanation of the eGPU Toggler, think it makes enough sense on how to get the thing working with Bootcamp.

Razer X works very well. However, the only thing I don't like about it is a rather noisy fan inside the PSU that comes with it. This is fixable, but a bit annoying at the times.

If you have Win 10 installed, sure thing have a go with it. However, you will see how picky eGPU and Win10 is towards the version... If you manage to make it work with Win10 other than v1903 or v2004 using the eGPU toggler, please share here! If it doesn't work for you, back up and stick to v1903 as I described.

The external monitor is required to get the maximum productivity out of your graphic card. Otherwise, the data needs to flow on the same cable TO the eGPU and FROM it back to your MacBook display. This might create a speed bottleneck.

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dinoscool3
(@dinoscool3)

@anton_puzorjov, Okay, thank you for that! I guess nothing better I can do than purchasing it and giving it a try 😉

ReplyQuote
 of  2