2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 590 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 590 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10  

of  2
  RSS

Marco Cirillo
(@marco_cirillo)

System specs

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-4870HQ)

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

iGPU: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

dGPU: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

OS

OSX: Catalina10.15.4

Bootcamp: Windows 10 Professional v1909

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X +Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 590 8GB

(Apple) Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

(Apple) Thunderbolt 2 Cable (30cm)

External Monitor: Monoprice (IIIP) 27" 4K

Installation Steps

OSX

1. Connect eGPU
  2. Install and run purge-wrangler

Windows

1. Download latest DDU(18.0.2.3)
    2. Download BootcampDrivers(September Edition (A))

The 2020 editions haven't been working with this setup.
      Either you'll get a code 12, or the device stays disabled because the driver crashes

3. Reboot into safe mode
    4. Run DDU and shutdown
    5. Start the computer, hold option so you see the OS picker (Windows and OSX).
    6. Plug in the egpu, wait 2 mins

Honestly, I don't know why it makes this work. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with large address spacing taking a while to kick in before it's safe to boot Windows. When I didn't wait on the OS picker, I got Code 12 every time.

7. Select Windows and wait for Windows to boot up
    8. open device manager, verify your graphics adapter shows up as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
    9. Install Bootcamp drivers
    10. Restart with the eGPU still plugged in. Hold option so you see the OS picker
    11. Wait 2 mins
    12. Windows should now start, initially on your built-in monitor, then it will flicker and swift to your external monitor

Troubleshooting

If you're getting Code 12 in Windows:

• try waiting longer on the OS picker
  • try using EGPU-Toggler (it will repeatedly disconnect and reconnect your eGPU)
    • I had to replace (in egpu-toggler.bat) instances of PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_66AF&SUBSYS_081E1002 with PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_E3871DA2 on my setup. Follow the readme to figure out how to find your hardware ID

Games Tested

My settings below are what I use to get a consistent 60FPS

OSX

• Borderlands 2
    • High, Windowed Borderless 4K @ 50% resolution scaling (effectively 1080p)
  • Cuphead
  • Tick Tock: A Tale for Two

Windows

• Borderlands 3
    • Low/Medium, Windowed Borderless 4K @ 50% resolution scaling (effectively 1080p)
  • Call of Duty MW (2019) + Warzone
    • it nags that the drivers are out of date
    • FPS drops when sniping on that tall building in Downtown on Warzone
    • Low, Windowed Borderless 4K @ 50% resolution scaling (effectively 1080p)
  • Cuphead
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection

This topic was modified 3 months ago
2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 590 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@marco_cirillo, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this build! Have you tried an EFI boot loader such as automate-eGPU EFI to see if it resolves error 12 in Boot Camp?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Marco Cirillo
(@marco_cirillo)

@itsage

I was going to use that tool, but at this point I'm uncomfortable flashing a new bootloader on my laptop (I use it for my day job). For now I just sit on the OS picker for a bit and load up Windows.

Update: I've since tried this approach (not flashed to my laptop, but using a USB key) since I've broken my eGPU setup in Windows. I run EFI Boot, it shows that it's about to run startup.nsh, but it only ever gives me a black screen

This post was modified 2 months ago
2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 590 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Robson Nascimento
(@robson_nascimento)

hey man thanks for the info always helpful, i have the macbook pro and want to setup with he same gpu but with a Mantiz venus.

Not sure you play cs go as its the game i play the most ....if you are able to tell me the performance increase ?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

I followed you guide and was able to run my eGPU Razer X with Vega 56. For me the eGPU never started by itself and always had to use the EGPU Toggler. Also experimented with 2-3 min wait time which did not started the eGPU. Last few times I waited only like 5-10 sec and after that the eGPU Toggler worked fine too.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

I am not able to disable the PCI root bridge in Device Manager (German Version) to get my Vega 64 to run. (RX 580 works).

Toggler is not able too.

Any ideas how to deactivate/enable it?

MacBook Pro 11,5 (15“ Mid 2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 16GB, 1TB SSD)
eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and AMD Radeon Vega 64 using internal Display
Windows 10 pro build 2004 .19619 (by Windows Insider fast ring programm) and MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 with Purge Wrangler

ReplyQuote
GlobalClient930
(@globalclient930)

@marco_cirillo, hey man i have the same exact MBP as you, mid 2015, and im thinking of doing what you did, i was wondering tho does the fans on the macbook still get really loud when you play games? mine does and i usually have to lower the video settings alot. also do you think its worth it to get an external monitor for this? im debating between doing this eGPU set up and upgrading the SSD (i have only 250gb) or just buying an ASUS TUF gaming laptop, as this would probably be cheaper. thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Marco Cirillo
(@marco_cirillo)

Posted by: @robson_nascimento

hey man thanks for the info always helpful, i have the macbook pro and want to setup with he same gpu but with a Mantiz venus.

Not sure you play cs go as its the game i play the most ....if you are able to tell me the performance increase ?

I've never played CS GO, but I would expect to see a performance increase over the 2015's built-in M370X since the RX590 is a much more powerful graphics card. If you're not getting enough FPS, it's definitely worth the upgrade.

Posted by: @weekendiac

I am not able to disable the PCI root bridge in Device Manager (German Version) to get my Vega 64 to run. (RX 580 works).

-- attachment is not available --

Toggler is not able too.

Any ideas how to deactivate/enable it?

No, sorry Cry

Posted by: @globalclient930

@marco_cirillo, hey man i have the same exact MBP as you, mid 2015, and im thinking of doing what you did, i was wondering tho does the fans on the macbook still get really loud when you play games? mine does and i usually have to lower the video settings alot. also do you think its worth it to get an external monitor for this? im debating between doing this eGPU set up and upgrading the SSD (i have only 250gb) or just buying an ASUS TUF gaming laptop, as this would probably be cheaper. thanks!

They're definitely quieter now that the dGPU isn't being used in games, no more thermal throttling over longer sessions (or when I leave the game on the title screen and come back later).

Would recommend an external monitor. Would also recommend using a dedicated machine for gaming. I'm using my personal laptop for work and then I game on it after work, so it takes a beating. If I wasn't so cheap I would've just built a gaming PC. Code 12 in Windows can be a PITA.

ReplyQuote
GlobalClient930
(@globalclient930)

@marco_cirillo, yea i would have built a gaming pc too but theres just not enough room in my room for it thats why im thinking of getting a gaming laptop. do you know if this egpu setup works with nvidia cards as well? if not do you know what the most powerful card can be used for this setup? thanks!

ReplyQuote
GlobalClient930
(@globalclient930)

@marco_cirillo, also mister cirillo have you tried playing any games at the native 2880x1800 resolution and if so how do they run and how do the fans sound? thanks :))))

ReplyQuote
 of  2