2015 15" MSI GS60 6QD (GTX965M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [Shumtlc27]
So recently I have received a gs60 6qd (965m version) laptop with a thunderbolt 3/superport. I have hooked it up with my AORUS gaming box with a 1060. I am using the gigabyte gtx1060 mini-itx oc 3gb version since the original 1070 in the box somehow died within a week of use.
256 gb ssd
8gb DDR4 ram
Gtx 965m 2gb
The procedures to get it working are as follow,
1. Update bios to E16H8IMS.112, https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS60-6QD-Ghost
2. Update thunderbolt/superport firmware, https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS60-6QD-Ghost#down-firmware . At this point the superport and the thunderbolt 3 port can be treated as the same.
3. Download thunderbolt software on MSI website(Although it should be pre-installed). The version there is the 188.8.131.52 version, which is pretty old.
4. Hook up the Gaming box. I kept getting notifications from windows saying that your thunderbolt device was limited something like that. After few reboots windows was finally recognising the box.
5. Disconnect the box. Uninstall the thunderbolt software. Windows will then automatically install the 184.108.40.206 version. If not then repeat this step with the box hooked up. Then do a reboot, otherwise windows won't recognise the box.
6. Now the box should be plug and play! You could then do a H2D firmware update of the box, which involves downgrading the thunderbolt software. There's a guide on this forum.
Although the box is now plug and play, I have experienced several issues.
1. It sometimes disconnects itself, also sometimes the psu fan of the box will suddenly go full speed like a jet engine if a shut down my laptop with the box hooked up. This could be the box psu issue.
2. Slightly underperforming. Honestly I expected more from a 1060 egpu, or was I just being greedy here. I will add some photos of benchmarks later on.
Although I own a 2560x1080 monitor, fps data here was based on 1920x1080, external monitor.
GTA V very high settings with MSAA off, pop variety 0(without going over the vram limit), avanced graphics off ~ 35 fps
BF1 ultra settings on 64 multiplayer map ~ 45fps out of combat
Witcher 3 ultra settings with hairworks off ~ 30-35 fps
Drivers are updated. CPU was not the bottleneck.
I guess I was being too optimistic. Thoughts?
Thank you for your implementation guide. Neat that it's all plug'n'play. As for your performance, pls do bandwidth benchmarking to ensure it's running at a full 32Gbps-TB3 link speed:
Did you want to include some photos of your gear so we can see your eGPU all up and running?
Benchmarks. It performed ok in valley and heaven.
The setup. MSI gs60 with the gaming box hooked up to a lg 25 inch ultrawide monitor. There are a lot of cables going on in this setup, not as neat as I would like it to be. Sadly the laptop has to connect to its own power supply.
Gtx 1060. It looks exactly the same as the 1070 except for it only using a 6 pin connector rather than an 8 pin one.
Superport logo, rather than a thunderbolt logo.