2016 13" Macbook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + macOS 10.15.2 [ibadea]  

RSS

ibadea
(@ibadea)

Topic title

2016  13″ Macbook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck)  + macOS 10.15.2

System specs (model inch screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

MacBook Pro 13-Inch Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports, with 14 nm, 6th Generation "Skylake" 2.0 GHz Intel "Core i5" processor (6360U), 8 GB of onboard 1866 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM, 256 GB of PCIe-based flash storage, and an integrated Intel Iris Graphics 540 graphics processor that shares memory with the system + macOS Catalina 10.15.2

LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K UHD IPS Monitor with USB Type-C, HDMI, DP Connectivity and FreeSync

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck Radeon RX 560 4Gb, macOS 10.14.5+. 

• Small and highly portable design that provides 60W of power delivery 
  • 3 Display ports, 1 HDMI port, 1 Thunderbolt 3 port 
  • AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology – supports up to four 4K displays

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for “attach files” button to appear. Or can link from say http://imgur.com )

https://imgur.com/gallery/mVwuZB9

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

• Connect the puck to monitor using display port cable
  • Connect the puck to TB3 port on macbook pro using provided cable and a quick restart after detection was complete

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

https://imgur.com/gallery/3UWTDDf

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

In 2016, after changing a windows laptop every year for the last 3 years, i decided to switch to macbook pro, i needed something with long batery life, fast and reliable (without buit in video card, failed to many times before) for low tasks involving networking. Later i realized that using a bigger display it will improve my work flow with multiple windows splited, so i got LG 27" 4k usb-c display. Everything worked perfect till summer 2019, when the macbook got real hot sometimes connected to external display, and usualy when watching videos for a long time, or had multiple remote desktop connections opened. After 3 years of use, i said its time to repaste the cpu, and indeed the temps overall decreased, but didnt solved the problem. Its look like the internal graphics 540 was the problem, cant handle too much on long runs using 4k external display.

I had 2 choices, desktop pc or egpu. I've build a min-itx ( to fit under the table) hackintosh i5 6500 + 8gb DDR4 + SSD Evo 860 + RX580, everyting was ok but the performance was same as my low end macbook pro, and the RX580 runs hot all the time. I said to try Windows 10 on this config, the worst experience ever!! Windows have no ideea how to manage a 4k display, and the everyday updates, and updates, and updates that finaly ruined video card driver, got a fix, but 2 days later i had to reinstall windows after getting update error (something wrong). Changed Rx580 (hot) with Vega 54 (noisy + hot) so i decided to sold the PC piece by piece.

I started looking for an egpu, but i needed something small, like aorus gaming box or sonnet puck, and i decided to go for sonnet because of apple support

Macbook pro 13" 2016 base model + LG 27UK850: when plugged in, powers up with lid closed, when you shut down it realy restart

Macbook pro 13" 2016 base model + Puck RX560 + LG 27UK850: when plugged in, wont start untill you open the lid, and shut down without problem

Temps : the coldest macbook pro ever under 50 C, all the heavy weight (video graphics) is on egpu, in normal use 50-60 C and heavy use 70-75 C

Noise: the macbook pro is dead silent, at my usage vents only gets from 0 to 1200 rpms. The Puck have some noise on normal use, but not something to bother (like macbook pro at 3000 rpms), the only real noise is when the system enters in sleep mode, for a few seconds the vent get to max rpms, first time i got scared, i said: ok its dead.

Performance:  now i can open WOW + youtube PiP + multiple RDC + email + multiple safari tabls + whatsapp + line, and everything works smootly, cpu stays at 2.2-2.4 ghz, 25-30% usage

So Sonnet Puck Rx 560 isnt for rendering or any heavy video tasks, isnt for gaming, its only for multiple display support. If you want more from an egpu, you should get something with RX570 or bether

Feel free to correct any mistake i made

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + macOS 10.15.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote